'14-'15 Flames' 23 Man Roster

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Saint, I don't see Gaudreau playing RW (I don't even think he's ever played it in his career), Raymond is not a 4th liner, we didn't sign Raymond to be a 4th liner and thinking rookies can take his roster spot. Also, where the hell is Bollig? We didn't waste an 83rd OA pick on a player that is just going to sit. Our 4th line will be Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan. McGrattan would sit before Bollig because Bollig has more offensive upside than McGrattan. I think Byron plays the 13th forward, but he will find himself a way to play 60 games; someone is going to either get injured, and it's their job to lose to Byron. Byron plays the filler role, meaning he can pretty much play anywhere in the lineup, that's what he proved last year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone else try making a lineup and have a hard time filling up the bottom 6? We have like way too many guys down there.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Anyone else try making a lineup and have a hard time filling up the bottom 6? We have like way too many guys down there.

Lol, yes... Our problem is we don't have enough top talent for the top 6, at least not yet. With that being said, I think our lineup should have some experienced NHLers over Monahan, Joe, and Johnny.

1st line: Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
-Let's see how Glencross does when given the 1st line LW role, I truly think he'll flourish without Cammy around; he's done it before.

2nd line: Raymond - Stajan - Jones
-Raymond's wheels should get Stajan and Jones going. Jones just needs to crash the net as much as he can for success, Stajan just needs to shoot the puck more.

3rd line: Gaudreau/Baertschi/Byron - Monahan - Colborne
-We should at least shelter these young guys until they prove themselves worthy of top 6 minutes. Really not sure on who the LWer will be for this line.

4th line: Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
-Probably the easiest line to make. All 3 play a big role on the Flames, and with the surplus of LW's we have, Bouma can play center again.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Lol, yes... Our problem is we don't have enough top talent for the top 6, at least not yet. With that being said, I think our lineup should have some experienced NHLers over Monahan, Joe, and Johnny.

1st line: Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
-Let's see how Glencross does when given the 1st line LW role, I truly think he'll flourish without Cammy around; he's done it before.

2nd line: Raymond - Stajan - Jones
-Raymond's wheels should get Stajan and Jones going. Jones just needs to crash the net as much as he can for success, Stajan just needs to shoot the puck more.

3rd line: Gaudreau/Baertschi/Byron - Monahan - Colborne
-We should at least shelter these young guys until they prove themselves worthy of top 6 minutes. Really not sure on who the LWer will be for this line.

4th line: Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
-Probably the easiest line to make. All 3 play a big role on the Flames, and with the surplus of LW's we have, Bouma can play center again.

I really like this line up… only change I would make is putting Reinhart in the 4C spot and rotating Grats and Bollig. At least to start the season. Reinhart deserves his shot if he can play well in camp after the year he had last year

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I really like this line up… only change I would make is putting Reinhart in the 4C spot and rotating Grats and Bollig. At least to start the season. Reinhart deserves his shot if he can play well in camp after the year he had last year

I agree Reinhart deserves to be called up. I'd definitely put him on the top of the call up list if a bottom 6 player goes down. I really think it would benefit Reinhart if he played with Granlund again for another year with top 6 minutes.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Copying forever flames roster a bit, but I truly believe this will be the opening night roster:
Glencross,Backlund,Hudler
-Glenny is the perfect big body for this skilled line and is the best option we have for first line LW
Raymond,Stajan,Jones
I think Raymond will force jones to pick up his pace and I like the duo of stajan and Raymond. It could be one of our PK pairings.
Baertchi/Gaudreu,Monohan, Colborne
Monohan and Colborne have chemistry and it would be a fun like to watch with one of Bart or Johnny playing with them.
Bouma,Byron/Reinhart, Mcgraten/Bollig
Aside from Bouma being cemented on the 4th line I think for the most part we will see a rotation all season with a few players. We lack big time forwards so goals may be hard to come by. That's why in majority of games I would have a more skilled player with grats and Bouma like Byron or Reinhart to maybe chip in some offence. Games against rivals and real tough teams we dress both Bollig and grats

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Copying forever flames roster a bit, but I truly believe this will be the opening night roster:
Glencross,Backlund,Hudler
-Glenny is the perfect big body for this skilled line and is the best option we have for first line LW
Raymond,Stajan,Jones
I think Raymond will force jones to pick up his pace and I like the duo of stajan and Raymond. It could be one of our PK pairings.
Baertchi/Gaudreu,Monohan, Colborne
Monohan and Colborne have chemistry and it would be a fun like to watch with one of Bart or Johnny playing with them.
Bouma,Byron/Reinhart, Mcgraten/Bollig
Aside from Bouma being cemented on the 4th line I think for the most part we will see a rotation all season with a few players. We lack big time forwards so goals may be hard to come by. That's why in majority of games I would have a more skilled player with grats and Bouma like Byron or Reinhart to maybe chip in some offence. Games against rivals and real tough teams we dress both Bollig and grats

Gio,Brodie
Obvious first pairing
Smid,Wideman
Worked well together last season if I remember correctly.
Russel,Engelland

Hiller
Ramo
I really believe Hiller will win the #1 spot and run with it. I see the games being split 60/40 in his favor

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Saint, I don't see Gaudreau playing RW (I don't even think he's ever played it in his career)

Hard to say how often as it's not tracked but last years dev camp saw Johnny on RW which of course everyone remembers him tearing it up with Monahan every time they stepped on the ice together

Raymond is not a 4th liner, we didn't sign Raymond to be a 4th liner and thinking rookies can take his roster spot.

Except for a dozen of his games last season when he wasn't playing well enough for top 9 minutes. Of course we signed him as an insurance policy if rookies can't handle top 6 minutes or top 9 minutes he'll be in the top 6 or top 9. As I said Optimismistically Sven has a solid camp Hartley/BT won't bench/send down Sven cause they like Raymond more, only if Raymond is playing better (which there's a very good chance he will be).

Also, where the hell is Bollig? We didn't waste an 83rd OA pick on a player that is just going to sit. Our 4th line will be Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan. McGrattan would sit before Bollig because Bollig has more offensive upside than McGrattan.

Not really... 14 points is an oddity for Bollig 0 points in his previous 2 seasons combined and never hit 14 in the AHL. Ern brings a lot more than Bollig and Brandon will need to be bringing his A game consistently to play above Grats.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Not really... 14 points is an oddity for Bollig 0 points in his previous 2 seasons combined and never hit 14 in the AHL. Ern brings a lot more than Bollig and Brandon will need to be bringing his A game consistently to play above Grats.

Obviously if Mcgrattan did bring more to the table he would be playing more than an average of 6:43 TOI/game. I like the guy, but it looked like he wasn't rtusted to play a big role besides hit and fight.

On the other hand. Bollig played an average of 10:16 in Chicago and I am pretty sure he played on the PK for Chicago. Right now Bollig seems like the better option, but we will see.

To the Calgary coaching staff Big Ern is not very good, but he is a team player and understands his role on the club. On a terrible Calgary Flames team he did not play that much. His role and Bollig's role will be different.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How can you say something is an oddity when it is the players first full season in the league? If anything he has steadily progressed offensively.

In 10/11 he had 4 points in 55 games (AHL)
In 11/12 he had 9 points in 53 games (AHL) and 0 points in 18 games (NHL)
In 12/13 he had 9 points in 35 games (AHL) and 0 points in 25 games (NHL)
In 13/14 he had 14 points in 82 games (NHL)

So in the AHL he progressed from a 6 point pace as a rookie, to a 13 point pace as a sophomore, to a 20 point pace in his 3rd year. His 0 points in his first 43 games was while playing just over 300 minutes total, this past year he played over 840 minutes. So it's not exactly shocking that he started putting up some points.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
How can you say something is an oddity when it is the players first full season in the league? If anything he has steadily progressed offensively.

In 10/11 he had 4 points in 55 games (AHL)
In 11/12 he had 9 points in 53 games (AHL) and 0 points in 18 games (NHL)
In 12/13 he had 9 points in 35 games (AHL) and 0 points in 25 games (NHL)
In 13/14 he had 14 points in 82 games (NHL)

So in the AHL he progressed from a 6 point pace as a rookie, to a 13 point pace as a sophomore, to a 20 point pace in his 3rd year. His 0 points in his first 43 games was while playing just over 300 minutes total, this past year he played over 840 minutes. So it's not exactly shocking that he started putting up some points.

Thats a very small curve on a graph for growth my friend.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I'm surprised people are comparing Bollig and Grats, when in my opinion, he was brought in to replace Galiardi.

He is harder to play against, and will get sheltered minutes.

And like I posted in my lineup, I think he finds a role with GlenX and Stajan. Or with Monahan and Colborne.

EDIT: - also let's not forget he was a '4th liner' on a Chicago Blackhawks team....who still played the fourth line for over 10mins a night.

In Calgary, that is 3rd line and he will get even more ice time.

Aug 3, 2010
Any chance of Bennett making the team?

Probably very slim - he needs to work on his frame. There's still time before training camp begins but I think it's been made clear he simply isn't strong enough yet - give him 1-2 seasons in development leagues and watch him continue to dominate at that level before being promoted.

Burke & Treliving have said that they don't believe it's possible to let a prospect "overcook" in developmental leagues - meaning they are happy to let a prospect work on their game and not be rushed into the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad