Prospect Info: 13th Overall - Jakub Vrana

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Thread from the draft selection chronicling his year preceding the draft:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1092381

Some quality quotes from it:

"This is the type of guy that Detroit drafts, waits 4 years and then has a star player come out of it."

"He looked great today, really smart offensively, great skill & speed. And the defensive game was good too."

"He almost always finds a way to get breakaways and when alone he is deadly. Great vision, passing, dekes, speed, shot and creativity. Downside is his defense which is a bit sloppy and soft but he'll have time to work with this."

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Well the TSN ranking thing had him 19, but it also had him 3/5 on skating, but he looks to be an incredible skater.

Also the defensive stuff, the U18 video, you see a lot of plays that start in the defensive zone. He also looks to be a pretty good PKer.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
kmdoom

I saw the two years in the article I posted, but was looking for additional information. Also checked to see that he was not picked in last year's CHL import draft. Question, could you provide a link to that original Hlinka article with the more specific contract language, the google translate link is not working. Thanks.

It didn't really go that in depth into his contract status, just said that he had signed for 3 years. Here's a cleaner translation of that article though. http://hlinkamemorial.com/eng/clanek.asp?id=At-this-year%B4s-Hlinka-Memorial-Jakub-Vrana-would-really-like-to-win-it-31

Crow's story sounded similar to Radek Faksa's, living in an apartment away from his family and stuff. Should be coming here with a good head on his shoulders. Not easy to boil your own Ramen at 15.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Maybe its just because I don't understand Hockey too well, but watching those U18 games they all look like kids still Vrana seems to have the eyes of someone older, he still seems like a kid. So projecting 2 or 3 years before he can show up and like 4 before he could be a top liner?

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
Was out getting a few beers in me so i missed a lot of the draft but im happy with the pick, I actually wanted anyone but Fleury. Does anyone know what his plans are for next season? will he stay overseas?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well the TSN ranking thing had him 19, but it also had him 3/5 on skating, but he looks to be an incredible skater.

Also the defensive stuff, the U18 video, you see a lot of plays that start in the defensive zone. He also looks to be a pretty good PKer.

Of course, a highlight video is not going to show anything bad, right?

He's got skill but he looks like he's probably a few years away from seriously competing against adult professionals. He could turn into another Semin, or he could be another Daigle. Too soon to tell how he'll translate to the NHL and development could be everything. Not a plug and play pick.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Certainly from a pure skill standpoint it's your typical Capitals pick and, in this draft, maybe that's not so bad. Sanheim had a short resume to base a projection off of and Larkin's upside is a bit hard to peg because of his linemates on the second line at the NTDP. On the surface immediately after the first round those are the two alternatives I wonder about the most.

He really did stand out along with Pastrnak on the overachieving Czech teams of late as being a very involved skilled player. Much like the rest of the wingers coming up, we'll see how he matures but there's no doubting the skill level. I guess I should learn by now to discount or overlook certain pro projection concerns, particularly those shared by past picks, when evaluating skilled wingers as possibilities. It's clear they perceive much more of the reward than the risk.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
That's troubling.

That actually doesn't bother me a ton when you consider that he played an appreciable portion of last season at a graduated level. It's quite common for young players to struggle to acclimate themselves to that type of advanced competition for a decent bit in their first year after a promotion.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Barring a trade down a bit would never have guessed Vrana. Of course going into a capitals draft I have some favs until the pick is made but after it is done it is done I don't get emotional just because I preferred another pick armchair GM QB'ing. Caps have done well lately with their 1st round picks so let us see how this plays out. Dude seems pretty fast/quick in the vids

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He's got a bit of Yakupov in his game. (I see McKeen's used that comp in terms of pace...)

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
good pick. Lots of skilled wingers in the system so hooray i guess. Pronman had him ranked at 13 FWIW. I'm not gonna freak out that we didn't take a center or defenseman. I'm content

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I like Vrana a lot in the interview. He has a great attitude. He loves hockey. You can see how bad he wants to score in those videos. Slick passing (when he decides to pass). A blazer of a shot—hopefully he can improve his accuracy. And, of course, he will need to get stronger to make those moves in the NHL.

He looks like a good prospect to me. I've been following prospects since the early 80's so I'm not totally in the dark.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
It's a good thing he plays in a high profile professional league already, it will make the potential transition to the NHL easier.
Good pick IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad