Prospect Info: 13th Overall - Jakub Vrana

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
There's 2 rounds and he didn't get picked in the 1st and a majority of teams pass on picking in the 2nd. Eerie has another pick at 114, so there is a chance the Capitals have some sort of contact with them and maybe would push them towards drafting him.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Watched the CRL on the draft and while talking with Trotz, he said "little bit easier because my stick is on the inside," which is obviously in reference to him playing on the off wing.

I'm really hoping this isn't a sign of things to come and that the whole Ovechkin on the RW thing is because of the success the past 2 years.

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
Not drafted...

You have to attend highschool while playing in the CHL don't you? As I understand it he dropped out of school when he moved to Sweden (or rather only studying swedish and english instead taking normal classes). If that's correct he might not be eligible to attend highschool in Canada (and thus be eligible to play in the CHL).

More likely he's not interested. He has stated multiple times that he intends to stay in Sweden until he's ready for the NHL (that was before he got drafted though).

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
He passed the eye test at the last dev camp scrimmage and you have to like his shootout goal as well.

Seemed like he blended nicely with Bura also. I can't get too mad with this pick at 13.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Sure but can he play center...? I keed I keed.

I am very much a BPA guy when it comes to drafting. If that means you end up with a prospect pool full of blue chip wingers then so be it. Hopefully you can use those assets to fill needs at the NHL level. Of course that means your GM is smart enough not to deal away those blue chippers your scouting staff identified for poor fits like in the Forsberg for Erat/Latta deal but whatever. And yes Latta has taken a little bit of the sting out of that but still.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
We really do have a pretty decent prospect pool. Burakovsky, Vrana, Barber, Sanford, Gersich, Carrick, Bowey, Orlov, Grubauer, Copley, etc.

Yep, heck Wilson won't be 21 until April.

I think the Caps were ranked top five as far as high end prospects before the season started.

Also watching Vrana and the Czech team and he really is creating a ton of offense. Caps brass must be pleased.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Still wish we'd drafted Fabbri, but can't complain about how Vrana's progressed.

It struck me that he looked bigger in the WJC games than I remember him--that, or the Czech team is really small.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Still wish we'd drafted Fabbri, but can't complain about how Vrana's progressed.

It struck me that he looked bigger in the WJC games than I remember him--that, or the Czech team is really small.

It may be psychological because watching him take the puck and try to do everything himself from end to end was like watching rebuild-era Ovechkin. Though not as dominant or physical, of course. Just, "well if you guys don't know what to do I'm just going to take the puck and figure something out." Zoooom... off he goes.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It may be psychological because watching him take the puck and try to do everything himself from end to end was like watching rebuild-era Ovechkin. Though not as dominant or physical, of course. Just, "well if you guys don't know what to do I'm just going to take the puck and figure something out." Zoooom... off he goes.

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, maybe he has actually gotten bigger...? ;)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Quietly having a good start to his pro career with Hershey in the AHL.

Scored today to maintain his PPG average 6 in 6 games.

He was impressive in his draft year when I saw him. Looked better than his countryman Pastrnak who also looked good.

A sneaky good pick at #13 by Washington.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Quietly having a good start to his pro career with Hershey in the AHL.

Scored today to maintain his PPG average 6 in 6 games.

He was impressive in his draft year when I saw him. Looked better than his countryman Pastrnak who also looked good.

A sneaky good pick at #13 by Washington.

I keep thinking Gaborik when I see his higlights.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
how many czechs, slovaks and finns drafted by the caps were able to fit well? Looks like these nations are inappropriate for D.C. I haven't found anyone. Hope Vrana is the first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad