Prospect Info: #13 Nico Hischier: "I love to hockey" Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Selke. Shut down the opponents top line while still putting up 70? Sign me up.
I agree - perhaps I should have put more of a discrepency in the point totals but I think those are about fair for his upside.

I think Hischier, when he gets bigger, can bounce Hall back into 80 point form consistently

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I want to know why he isn't using his speed and hands more. That was a major part of his game pre-draft and even in the pre-season. Now its a rare sight seeing him fly up the wing with it. Bratt does it FAR more.
Well yeah, Bratt is a winger. Nico is working down low to get the puck.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
FWIW Nico is a lot better than I thought he’d be. The negative hype during the season left me underwhelmed by the entire draft.

However, he’s a 50+ point player right now. I see no reason when he gets stronger that he can’t put up 70-75 if paired with Hall. Not sure he’ll break into the top tier of centers but he is already a #1 at 18/19. Where would we be without him?

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
FWIW Nico is a lot better than I thought he’d be. The negative hype during the season left me underwhelmed by the entire draft.

However, he’s a 50+ point player right now. I see no reason when he gets stronger that he can’t put up 70-75 if paired with Hall. Not sure he’ll break into the top tier of centers but he is already a #1 at 18/19. Where would we be without him?
I think he has the raw talent and IQ go become a top 5-10 center in the league. But samething about him makes him a sure thing to be a top 20 center in the league when he bulks up.

Pretty damn good ceiling for an ‘underwhelming’ #1 pick like the media claimed he was

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think he has the raw talent and IQ go become a top 5-10 center in the league. But samething about him makes him a sure thing to be a top 20 center in the league when he bulks up.

Pretty damn good ceiling for an ‘underwhelming’ #1 pick like the media claimed he was

It’s a weak draft and he has a low ceiling. But somehow Pettersson is already better than any Swedish player who has ever played in the NHL.

Reactions: OmNomNom

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Which would folks rather Hischier develop into

Selke-level defense, 60-70 points
Average two-way play, 75-85+ points

Do folks think he can be PPG material? Do you think he can reach Selke level play?

I'd take the points discount for Selke-level defense so long as it came with some respectable point totals. Can't say yet if he'll ever be ppg but for now I'm pleased with the player I see out there.

He's taken on the responsibilities laid upon him in stride for his first season and you can tell it's been a tremendous experience for him to build upon in future years.

Filling out physically and working on his shot/finish are what I'd like to see most heading into next year. He's already impressive as a tenacious two-way player at his age.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Which would folks rather Hischier develop into

Selke-level defense, 60-70 points
Average two-way play, 75-85+ points

Do folks think he can be PPG material? Do you think he can reach Selke level play?

either one would be more than fine with me.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think one evaluation of any rookie is whether he makes the team better. Nico makes NJ better. He scores clutch goals and plays hard all the time. In contrast, some players may score or hit but the team isn’t any better. It’s tough to quantify but take Nico out of the lineup and I believe NJ has fewer points.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
One thing I love about him is that he never gives up on a battle, even if it's against somebody bigger/stronger than him. It reminds me of Parise's puck hound mentality. When he gets stronger he's going to be an absolute nightmare to defend.

Reactions: glenwo2

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think one evaluation of any rookie is whether he makes the team better. Nico makes NJ better. He scores clutch goals and plays hard all the time. In contrast, some players may score or hit but the team isn’t any better. It’s tough to quantify but take Nico out of the lineup and I believe NJ has fewer points.

No doubt, he's got that feel to it and you can see it on the ice. He also gets into the dirty areas to dig and fight out for the puck, and isn't bothered to take a hit to make a play. I had no idea what to expect this season after seeing everyone downplay this draft over summer, and seeing so many hyped high picks come in lukewarm. I barely followed any preseason in September and was AWOL initially because I didn't think i could make it through another horrible year, but man has this guy helped change it around.

But to credit, its not only him: Bratt, Butcher added to this teams' offense and it went up a hell of a bunch of notches unexepectedly up.... can't imagine ANYONE really saw that coming. Other guys stepping in and up (Mojo) you could imagine, but Nico and his trio rookies are hugely impactful to this team.

And that's not to take away from Gibbbons/Coleman improvements either. Just saying those other 3 changed entire dynamic of our lineup and team. Before we were like a 1 or maybe 2 line team, now we have 4 legit lines and everyone is generally in their place FWD-wise.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Best rookie in the league this year besides Barzal. Stud. Gonna be flat out excellent in future years.

Reactions: Bleedred

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He is one of the best ES scorers in the league. Just normal PP production would absolutely have put him right up there with Barzal and Boeser.

I think that's even better sign because he's competing with the best at 5v5 ES, and hugely impactful. MOAR is good, but as we know even guys like JJ look good on PP, so the fact that Nico is stellar on 5v5 we can assume its only up from here as long as he keeps up the training/work ethic.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

One thing I love about him is that he never gives up on a battle, even if it's against somebody bigger/stronger than him. It reminds me of Parise's puck hound mentality. When he gets stronger he's going to be an absolute nightmare to defend.

That really is the most encouraging thing right? As a high pick, you figure he has talent, but the fact that he works like he does is what seperates him from so many other talented guys who dissappoint. Even his goal celebrations are all business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad