Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Keep him away from Goondas on Saturday

tumblr_olfpbex5n91srg3luo2_500.gif

Reactions: bodda

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
He only just turned 19, I think he's the youngest player in the league right now? Or at least he was a little while back. Barzal and Boeser are already two years older. It's like when people compare Zacha to Josefson, despite the fact that Zacha was 2.5 years younger than Josefson was when he was this many games into his NHL career. Not to mention that Zacha is better than Josefson was in his best season.

It's amazing how certain posters on the main boards forget that Hischier is either a full season, two full seasons or even 4 to 5 years younger in some cases than every rookie who's leading him in the rookie scoring race. Most posters are fair but like any board it's that loud vocal minority's that's hard to forget. Also, absolutely none of these rookies have the two way game that Nico has. Keller and Barzal are the only two that probably have more potential strictly points wise season for season over Nico. While Boeser has the goal scoring potential advantage, but lacks the overall point potential that Nico has. Of course they all lack the two way game Nico has. I think the only 18 year old to come into the league with a comparable two way game to Nico is Patrice Bergeron. I'm not saying anything profound with a comment like that today, seems to be common knowledge around these parts nowadays.

I also have to say Canuck fans are starting to become much like Leafs fans when it comes to their arrogance over Boeser. You would think from all the topics, comments and threads they start about the guy that he's the next Mario Lemieux. Don't get me wrong Brock Boeser is awesome (wish we took him over Zacha even though Barzal was my guy at the time) and is one hell of a talent and can shoot that puck as good as any young player I've seen in years, but Canuck fans need to take a chill pill. They're getting extremely annoying and I can't be the only one who's noticed this crap. To be as annoying as Leaf fans is one hell of an accomplishment.

We're absolutely blessed to have three of the top 12 rookie goal scorers on our team and one is a defensman who's on pace for 4-46-50 and a +4. He doesn't get talked about like Hischier and Bratt but Butcher has some serious potential and could be a 60 point defensman in the near future if offense continues to rise. I can't wait to see what he's capable of and I think he's easily our next Rafalski.

I apologize for getting off topic. I just get so giddy when it comes to talking about our rookies. Coleman is also another guy who's could easily be a great 15-15-30 bottom 6 player, who a great penalty killer for a long time. Our next Pandolfo maybe. Then next year Quennville should be ready and one of McCleod or Bastian should be ready. Possibly Lappin too. God damn we're lucky when you think about it and realize all the potential this organization has. How could you not feel good as a Devils fan.

Last edited:

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
It's amazing how certain posters on the main boards forget that Hischier is either a full season, two full seasons or even 4 to 5 years younger in some cases than every rookie who's leading him in the rookie scoring race. Most posters are fair but like any board it's that loud vocal minority's that's hard to forget. Also, absolutely none of these rookies have the two way game that Nico has. Keller and Barzal are the only two that probably have more potential strictly points wise season for season over Nico. While Boeser has the goal scoring potential advantage, but lacks the overall point potential that Nico has. Of course they all lack the two way game Nico has. I think the only 18 year old to come into the league with a comparable two way game to Nico is Patrice Bergeron. I'm not saying anything profound with a comment like that today, seems to be common knowledge around these parts nowadays.

I also have to say Canuck fans are starting to become much like Leafs fans when it comes to their arrogance over Boeser. You would think from all the topics, comments and threads they start about the guy that he's the next Mario Lemieux. Don't get me wrong Brock Boeser is awesome (wish we took him over Zacha even though Barzal was my guy at the time) and is one hell of a talent and can shoot that puck as good as any young player I've seen in years, but Canuck fans need to take a chill pill. They're getting extremely annoying and I can't be the only one who's noticed this crap. To be as annoying as Leaf fans is one hell of an accomplishment.

We're absolutely blessed to have three of the top 12 rookie goal scorers on our team and one is a defensman who's on pace for 4-46-50 and a +4. He doesn't get talked about like Hischier and Bratt but Butcher has some serious potential and could be a 60 point defensman in the near future if offense continues to rise. I can't wait to see what he's capable of and I think he's easily our next Rafalski.

I apologize for getting off topic. I just get so giddy when it comes to talking about our rookies. Coleman is also another guy who's could easily be a great 15-15-30 bottom 6 player, who a great penalty killer for a long time. Our next Pandolfo maybe. Then next year Quennville should be ready and one of McCleod or Bastian should be ready. Possibly Lappin too. God damn we're lucky when you think about it and realize all the potential this organization has. How could you not feel good as a Devils fan.

I'll be perfectly honest, I grew up liking the Canucks as I have family in Vancouver, but after the riots when they lost the in the SCF and their homerism over Boeser I legitimately dislike their fans more than any fanbase in the league (excluding the Rags of course). Boeser has an elite shot, probably top 5 in the league, but their attitude that he's an all around stud is utter nonsense. I can guarantee that Nico will have a better career than Boeser.
Nico has been nothing short of special and comparing him to guys 2 years his senior is asinine, especially when we consider that both of them (Boeser and Barzal) were nowhere near where Nico is in his draft+1 season. It's mind-boggling how many people on the main boards think Nico is a "finished" prospect. The kid is constantly improving, and will only get better and stronger as he beefs up in a few years.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
could care less what other fans think. nico is a special player. they will find out tomorrow or 5-10 years from now when hes skating circles around opposing teams and shutting down their best players.

this play was amazing. the control/speed/awareness is amazing...

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Ryan Lambert on the Calder race:

"But know who we’re not talking about in all this, even if it’s for a good reason? Nico Hischier.

Yeah, Barzal and Boeser are playing great as rookies, but they’re both pushing 21 years old, which explain things a little bit. Hischier just turned 19 like two weeks ago, and he’s currently 28th in the league in 5-on-5 points per 60.

Which, hey, that ain’t bad for a teenager. Especially one on the younger side. That’s quite rare. What a player!"

Puck Daddy Countdown: Rasmus Dahlin could save Olympics

Reactions: Verdoux

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
unfortunately it doesn't take defensive ability into the calder race but we all saw last night that barzal is abysmal in his own zone. they were getting hemmed in all night

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
unfortunately it doesn't take defensive ability into the calder race but we all saw last night that barzal is abysmal in his own zone. they were getting hemmed in all night

Islanders were a mess last night going on 3 in 4 nights with the game Monday night in Montreal starting at 7:30 and going into OT.

Devils played Barzal exceptionally well since we have a lot of good skaters that can take away his time and space.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Im sorry but I think Hischier’s creativity and offensive skillset is being VERY limited recently. He almost never skates it up and when he does its a rare occurrence. Hes never using his hands or taking enough shots.

Is Hynes forcing these kids to be defensively responsible BEFORE they can be creative? Or is he choking their ability to be offensive?

Im tying this in to Zacha and partially Bratt as well (Bratt has been doing more IMO so maybe he is getting a looser leash)

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Im sorry but I think Hischier’s creativity and offensive skillset is being VERY limited recently. He almost never skates it up and when he does its a rare occurrence. Hes never using his hands or taking enough shots.

Is Hynes forcing these kids to be defensively responsible BEFORE they can be creative? Or is he choking their ability to be offensive?

Im tying this in to Zacha and partially Bratt as well (Bratt has been doing more IMO so maybe he is getting a looser leash)

Did you watch the game vs the Bruins last night? He made Noesen and Wood look like top 6 forwards.

Reactions: My3Sons

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I did but that doesnt change what I said. His offensive game is clearly being limited by the coaching staff

I don't think that's "clear". But I think Hynes and co. are doing the right thing making him concentrate more on the defensive side of the puck. Look at the 1Cs that win Stanley Cups. Bergeron, Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Crosby, Toews, Kopitar. They are all ELITE defensive centers just as much as they are offensive centers. I really hope Hischier turns out to be just like those guys.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't think that's "clear". But I think Hynes and co. are doing the right thing making him concentrate more on the defensive side of the puck. Look at the 1Cs that win Stanley Cups. Bergeron, Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Crosby, Toews, Kopitar. They are all ELITE defensive centers just as much as they are offensive centers. I really hope Hischier turns out to be just like those guys.

If Nico can realize the Bergeron in his overall game I think most NJ fans would be thrilled.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I don't think his offensive game is limited as much by the coaches as it is by opponents forcing him out wide. It seems like every time I see him with the puck it's along the boards.
i think once he fleshes out and has more confidence to go into the fray, he'll make more dangly moves. hall can mentor him on that.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
just needs to gain some muscle weight and get stronger on his feet and he'll be much more of an all around threat

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I did but that doesnt change what I said. His offensive game is clearly being limited by the coaching staff

when you're used to playing with taylor hall, anything else just won't do. i'm not too worried about it. my favorite thing about nico is that even when he isn't producing, he is making noticeable neutral zone plays and playing strong on the other side of the puck.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
when you're used to playing with taylor hall, anything else just won't do. i'm not too worried about it. my favorite thing about nico is that even when he isn't producing, he is making noticeable neutral zone plays and playing strong on the other side of the puck.
Whiles thats great and all, that was a part of his toolset pre-draft (strong two way play). My problem is why aren’t they letting the kid express himself? How often is he really using his speed and finesse? To me its not as much as he should be.

Im just afraid the kids (Zacha, Hischier mainly) are afraid of messing up and being pissed on by coaching because of their mistakes. Any other first overall is just left to free flow out there - why cant Hischier be the same way?

Two way play is great but I think we all can agree Hischier could have more points than he has right now if he was allowed to be himself a bit more.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Whiles thats great and all, that was a part of his toolset pre-draft (strong two way play). My problem is why aren’t they letting the kid express himself? How often is he really using his speed and finesse? To me its not as much as he should be.

Im just afraid the kids (Zacha, Hischier mainly) are afraid of messing up and being pissed on by coaching because of their mistakes. Any other first overall is just left to free flow out there - why cant Hischier be the same way?

Two way play is great but I think we all can agree Hischier could have more points than he has right now if he was allowed to be himself a bit more.

I've seen no signs of the staff limiting Nico.

I feel this staff wants effort, if you give that, they will over look mistakes. I feel it's a great environment for a young kid to come into.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He just isn’t ready to be the featured offensive threat, which is normal.

Even the great Barzal is being protected by JT getting top line duties.

It isn’t surprising he got smothered a bit more with no Hall.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey

I want to know why he isn't using his speed and hands more. That was a major part of his game pre-draft and even in the pre-season. Now its a rare sight seeing him fly up the wing with it. Bratt does it FAR more.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Impossible. The Great Barzal is Gretzky times Lemiuex. And he could have been ours, if only our GM had listened to a couple of anonymous posters on an Internet message board. Clearly Shero was a fool. :sarcasm:

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Which would folks rather Hischier develop into

Selke-level defense, 60-70 points
Average two-way play, 75-85+ points

Do folks think he can be PPG material? Do you think he can reach Selke level play?

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Which would folks rather Hischier develop into

Selke-level defense, 60-70 points
Average two-way play, 75-85 points

Do folks think he can be PPG material? Do you think he can reach Selke level play?

Selke. Shut down the opponents top line while still putting up 70? Sign me up.

Reactions: devilsblood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad