TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The guys had a very good debate right now on a Stafford Fro with Bauming saying they need to bring back Stafford partially because he was a big piece in the trade and Rewicky did a good job of arguing the advanced stats viewpoint of how Stafford's shooting % is unsustainable, he was a black hole for both possession and defense, and he was probably the reason the Scheifele-Wheeler-stafford line got slaughtered in the playoffs. He was stating strongly you bring back Fro not Stafford.

If the difference in their pay is a million or less, I'd take Frolik 10 times out of 10. I just worry that the price tags for other players will get really high if we pay Fro $5M or more.

As players, they're not really close.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I think the only reason you resign Stafford is if you can't get Frolik. That might be stating the obvious, but I don't think anyone doubts Frolik's "Guaranteed commodity" status with this team right now. If you can lock him up for 4-5 years he'll be a major part of the Jets being a contender for that entire span.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the only reason you resign Stafford is if you can't get Frolik. That might be stating the obvious, but I don't think anyone doubts Frolik's "Guaranteed commodity" status with this team right now. If you can lock him up for 4-5 years he'll be a major part of the Jets being a contender for that entire span.

Stafford's not a good replacement for Frolik though. Maybe in terms of replacing his points...but you don't get the flexibility to move up and down the lineup and PK. Maybe Burmi+Staff = Fro?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The guys had a very good debate right now on a Stafford Fro with Bauming saying they need to bring back Stafford partially because he was a big piece in the trade and Rewicky did a good job of arguing the advanced stats viewpoint of how Stafford's shooting % is unsustainable, he was a black hole for both possession and defense, and he was probably the reason the Scheifele-Wheeler-stafford line got slaughtered in the playoffs. He was stating strongly you bring back Fro not Stafford.

Stafford looked good superficially, at least on TV. Closer examination reveals the bolded. He was not a major part of the Kane deal unless you consider a rental a major part.

The more I hear of Staffords shortcomings the less I want him regardless of whether we get Frolik or not. He was playing his off side so maybe he is a little better on the right. I don't know that $3mil x 2-3 years gets him and I don't think I would offer more. Maybe we need to give a little more consideration to Tlusty. Or a trade. Or more rookies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Love how that middle section just flips as soon as Stafford joins.
CFDnhN9UgAAK_6C.png

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
R u suggesting that Stafford and the people around him have incredible shooting percentages? ;)

Nope.

I'm suggesting Wheeler out shot teams better than TBL or CHI when away from Stafford, but got outshot worse than TOR or NJD when with.

The thing that shifted was sv%, not sh%. You know... Pavelec's extremely crazy and unsustainable streak at the end.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Stafford looked good superficially, at least on TV. Closer examination reveals the bolded. He was not a major part of the Kane deal unless you consider a rental a major part.

The more I hear of Staffords shortcomings the less I want him regardless of whether we get Frolik or not. He was playing his off side so maybe he is a little better on the right. I don't know that $3mil x 2-3 years gets him and I don't think I would offer more. Maybe we need to give a little more consideration to Tlusty. Or a trade. Or more rookies.

Yea I didn't agree with Baumings point on how he viewed stafford in relation to the deal. I looked at him as a rental but I have no idea how TNSE viewed him. Despite Nice things that were said from both sides when lockers were being cleared out I tend to think he won't be a Jet next season.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea I didn't agree with Baumings point on how he viewed stafford in relation to the deal. I looked at him as a rental but I have no idea how TNSE viewed him. Despite Nice things that were said from both sides when lockers were being cleared out I tend to think he won't be a Jet next season.

Didn't his family come to town to check things out a few weeks after the trade? I think the Jets will make a push...or at least intended to at that time.

Part of it, I think, is because if Stafford walks away, it'll look like Kane + Bogo for Myers...at least until Armia, Lemieux and that 1st round pick make the team (if they ever do).

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Staff did his job and scored big goals as a rental. Armia, Lemieux and a 1st, hopefully Kylington, is enough for Kane. Many guys are ready to take spots on that third line, Armia, Ehlers, Petan, Burmi, etc.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I am biased in favour of Tlusty because I picked him out a couple of years ago as a player I would like to acquire. It looks like that might have been his career year. However I think we may still be dismissing him too quickly. He could be a pretty good 3rd liner for ~$2.5mil. With him, Stemp, Burmi and Ehlers we could be OK at F. Note, I say OK not outstanding but there is room there for improvement.

I've been thinking that we should retain Halischuk as the 13th F. More recently I've also had the thought that we should retain Slater for 1 more year with the hope that Copp pushes him into the 14th slot rather than everyday 4C. It would be insurance in case Copp isn't ready.

I just realized what thread I am on. :laugh: Maybe going just a little OT.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
man...Westwood and Leibl both on holiday. The BS barely has a heartbeat right now. Seems like they've been discussing Lundquist for three hours straight.

They?

More like Rewucki going on a 3 hour long winded rant about the obvious. Without Westie and Leibl keeping a leash on his air time, the show is completely unbearable.

It would be nice to see them use Shane Hnidy on the morning show during the summer months and give Rewuki the summer off to catch his breath. Further, I would love to see them replace Rewuki during the hockey season with an actual ex pro hockey player, someone that has actual insight into the game, the show could use it.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I've never listened to the show, but Rewucki is a pretty smart guy when I've talked to him.

This morning, he was going off about something, turned the channel, listened to a full song, came back, he was still going off on the exact same point.

When he makes good points, he kills it by over doing it.

I thought the first version of the morning show was excellent four years ago, I forget the main person that ran the show, but he was very good, Westie was second and Lieble did the perfect job of being the third wheel.

Last years version was solid as well with Edmonds, Lieble and Westie.

Bring in Trevor Kidd, Shane Hnidy, someone with credentials that has insight. There are posters on this forum that would do a better job than Brandon.

The third wheel on a morning show is the glue guy. They pick things up when they slip, they are the brunt of the jokes, they slip some comedy in there when things are to tense and they know when to shut up and allow the other two to carry things.

Brandon seems like he is always waiting to talk, not listening, just ready to make his long winded point.

One of the best third wheels ever in Winnipeg radio history was Ron Kuipers with BJ and Hall Anderson back in the 90's on Power 97.

If Brandon wants to improve, see if you can dig some audio out from one of their morning shows. Ron Kuipers was brilliant in his timing, comedic relief, sports updates, and just allowing himself to be the brunt of Jokes, it was radio at its best.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
They?

More like Rewucki going on a 3 hour long winded rant about the obvious. Without Westie and Leibl keeping a leash on his air time, the show is completely unbearable.

It would be nice to see them use Shane Hnidy on the morning show during the summer months and give Rewuki the summer off to catch his breath. Further, I would love to see them replace Rewuki during the hockey season with an actual ex pro hockey player, someone that has actual insight into the game, the show could use it.

Hnidy,host Walby, Kidd

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
They?

I've never listened to the show, but Rewucki is a pretty smart guy when I've talked to him.

This morning, he was going off about something, turned the channel, listened to a full song, came back, he was still going off on the exact same point.

When he makes good points, he kills it by over doing it.

I thought the first version of the morning show was excellent four years ago, I forget the main person that ran the show, but he was very good, Westie was second and Lieble did the perfect job of being the third wheel.

Last years version was solid as well with Edmonds, Lieble and Westie.

Bring in Trevor Kidd, Shane Hnidy, someone with credentials that has insight. There are posters on this forum that would do a better job than Brandon.

The third wheel on a morning show is the glue guy. They pick things up when they slip, they are the brunt of the jokes, they slip some comedy in there when things are to tense and they know when to shut up and allow the other two to carry things.

Brandon seems like he is always waiting to talk, not listening, just ready to make his long winded point.

One of the best third wheels ever in Winnipeg radio history was Ron Kuipers with BJ and Hall Anderson back in the 90's on Power 97.

If Brandon wants to improve, see if you can dig some audio out from one of their morning shows. Ron Kuipers was brilliant in his timing, comedic relief, sports updates, and just allowing himself to be the brunt of Jokes, it was radio at its best.

Just because they're smart doesn't mean they're a good radio show personality.

I agree with buddy here about how Rewucki seems like he only waits for his chance to talk rather than listening. I'm not a fan of Leibl but at least he argues somewhat intelligently (If not a little bit wimpily with his whiny tone when people question his opinion)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Gotta give Rewicki credit though - yesterday morning they were talking goalies and he absolutely nailed the Pav situation while the other guy threw out some pretty bizarre stuff. It was basically the old notion that Pav's performance had been bad as a result of poor team D - Rewicki pointed out that lots of goalies on teams with much worse D than the Jets have had had better numbers than Pav. At one point they were talking about Pav's career sv% and the other guy suggested sv% was more of a "team stat." Rewicki then promptly suggested that goals against is more a team stat while goalies tend to own their sv%. Rock on Rew! lol...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Just because they're smart doesn't mean they're a good radio show personality.

I agree with buddy here about how Rewucki seems like he only waits for his chance to talk rather than listening. I'm not a fan of Leibl but at least he argues somewhat intelligently (If not a little bit wimpily with his whiny tone when people question his opinion)

True that...

I podcast, and I'm still very, very, very rusty and we all know I'm smart :D Okay I'm pushing it there hahaha

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
True that...

I podcast, and I'm still very, very, very rusty and we all know I'm smart :D Okay I'm pushing it there hahaha

Entertainment for the masses and intelligence go together like ice cream and onions, tread lightly My son ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad