TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
True that...

I podcast, and I'm still very, very, very rusty and we all know I'm smart :D Okay I'm pushing it there hahaha

you should have a text-to-speech engine translate your posts online for the podcast. You get your point across well with a keyboard.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
jeez...so much time devoted to competitive frikkin eating in Hustler's show lately...:shakehead

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
jeez...so much time devoted to competitive frikkin eating in Hustler's show lately...:shakehead

I love listening to Hustler, but at some point has to realize competitive eating is such a niche market. It wasn't even on TV. He builds these things up for days, whether it's an upcoming interview or event. And I have a feeling we'll be hearing about the perogy contest all summer. Ugh.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Well it's really largely a "tongue in cheek" thing. It's literally a joke...they aren't taking it seriously. The problem is, it's not a very funny or entertaining joke. More than about 5 (2?) minutes dedicated to "competitive eating" and the joke becomes monotonous non-entertainment.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
So when do the broadcast rights for The Bombers come up for negotiation again? I'd like 1290 to do the games. I usually have CJOB on for a while weekend mornings just to have some sound in the background and man it is pretty much a wasteland utterly devoid of entertainment. They run clips of the various shows - there's the garden lady, and the vegetable dude, and of course "investigative reporter" Richard Cloutier who somehow still has a job in radio, and Adler who at least has a personality but seems to be just putting in time since his national show ended...and then there's Dahlia! I've said it before and I'll say it again, how did this woman get a radio show??? Oh man...the boring is strong with this one! Even a 30 second clip is enough to get my eyelids drooping...and then amidst all that awful we have The Bombers. It's sort of a "one of these things doesn't belong here" deal!

oh I forgot Toth's show. I listen to that on occasion but its not usually very interesting...

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Will it be competitive bid? I don't think it has been the last few contracts. The Conservative's clique controlling the Board have been handing the radio rights to 'OB for a long while now. Time for an elected board voted in by season tic holders. Maybe add in some fan shareholders who would each get a vote too. It is beyond obvious that Asper & crew will never bring a cup here. Cannot believe Doer was the one who put that Tory on the BODs. What were you thinking Gary?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
So when do the broadcast rights for The Bombers come up for negotiation again? I'd like 1290 to do the games. I usually have CJOB on for a while weekend mornings just to have some sound in the background and man it is pretty much a wasteland utterly devoid of entertainment. They run clips of the various shows - there's the garden lady, and the vegetable dude, and of course "investigative reporter" Richard Cloutier who somehow still has a job in radio, and Adler who at least has a personality but seems to be just putting in time since his national show ended...and then there's Dahlia! I've said it before and I'll say it again, how did this woman get a radio show??? Oh man...the boring is strong with this one! Even a 30 second clip is enough to get my eyelids drooping...and then amidst all that awful we have The Bombers. It's sort of a "one of these things doesn't belong here" deal!

oh I forgot Toth's show. I listen to that on occasion but its not usually very interesting...

Toth should join 1290 already. He's close with a lot of people over there anyway and would fit in great.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

No, their signal strength sucks, someone of us would like to hear the game when were 10 KM outside Winnipeg!

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
No, their signal strength sucks, someone of us would like to hear the game when were 10 KM outside Winnipeg!

Yup, it's terrible. Even in the city it's not good. Been saying for years I wish they were AM and FM like CBC. I think they'd get a better audience as FM is more readily available.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005

Yup, it's terrible. Even in the city it's not good. Been saying for years I wish they were AM and FM like CBC. I think they'd get a better audience as FM is more readily available.

Pretty sure AM travels farther than FM.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Pretty sure AM travels farther than FM.

AM does travel much further, but FM is stronger within the city.

Try receiving 1290 from a manual dial, it sucks. I bought an AM FM receiver to listen at work but 1290 won't get through the walls, whereas any FM station comes through fine. Even using the AM FM on the bus, still had bad reception. FM was crystal clear.

I say FM is easier to access because mp3 players receive FM, but not AM.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
AM does travel much further, but FM is stronger within the city.

Try receiving 1290 from a manual dial, it sucks. I bought an AM FM receiver to listen at work but 1290 won't get through the walls, whereas any FM station comes through fine. Even using the AM FM on the bus, still had bad reception. FM was crystal clear.

I say FM is easier to access because mp3 players receive FM, but not AM.

That too is incorrect. FM had terrible trouble in cities for decades. Solutions have been engineered to work around its difficulties, mostly just pumping out more powerful signals to overcome them. Many devices include FM only because AM is perceived as inadequate for music. 1290 has a very weak signal. I have a lot of difficulty with it especially after sunset.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
It also depends on the power lines in your area. If you're driving next to or underneath power lines, kiss your AM reception goodbye.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
That too is incorrect. FM had terrible trouble in cities for decades. Solutions have been engineered to work around its difficulties, mostly just pumping out more powerful signals to overcome them. Many devices include FM only because AM is perceived as inadequate for music. 1290 has a very weak signal. I have a lot of difficulty with it especially after sunset.

Don't get the guys saying 1290 TSN has a pretty good signal, it doesn't! In parts of Winnipeg 1290's signal is crap, drive outside Winnipeg 30 minutes and the signal drops considerably, CJOB 680 on the other hand has a strong signal, can pick up Bomber games in the Whiteshell, Kenora no problem, once had CJOB 680 coming in pretty clearly in Lethbridge, AB!

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
It's crap for signal. I lose it on and off heading to the cottage in LDB once I get into Milner Ridge. And forget listening to it after 11pm or whatever time it is they have to cut the signal back.

OB has a way better signal and it's why I was disappointed when 1290 got it.

No matter I rather watch tweets then listen PPPPPPPPaul EEEEEEEEEEdmonds.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

Switch from 1290 to any of the main FM stations in the city at same volume setting and FM is WAY louder.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Switch from 1290 to any of the main FM stations in the city at same volume setting and FM is WAY louder.

That's just completely irrelevant. It is about the nature of the systems and the frequency bands they operate in. 40 years ago I could have given you a complete, long and boring explanation. Now I'm too lazy to do a refresher on it. If you don't want to take my word for it you can google it.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I wonder if TSN ever considered just buying out another local radio station with a stronger signal and rebranding it to sports. Would be the simplest solution maybe. Not sure how practical that is though.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I wonder if TSN ever considered just buying out another local radio station with a stronger signal and rebranding it to sports. Would be the simplest solution maybe. Not sure how practical that is though.

The only AM stations with stronger signals are CJOB and CBC which are both 50,000 watts. 1290 is 10,000. Doubt they'd spend the tens of millions of dollars it would take to buy out one of those stations or upgrade the signal to something similar.

The could probably get a license for a repeater FM station fairly easily which would help the issue in most places the signal reaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->