TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
AM is more susceptible to noise because noise affects amplitude, which is where information is "stored" in an AM signal.

FM is less susceptible to noise because information in an FM signal is transmitted through varying the frequency, and not the amplitude.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The only AM stations with stronger signals are CJOB and CBC which are both 50,000 watts. 1290 is 10,000. Doubt they'd spend the tens of millions of dollars it would take to buy out one of those stations or upgrade the signal to something similar.

The could probably get a license for a repeater FM station fairly easily which would help the issue in most places the signal reaches.

Seeing as how they have the tower and all the other equipment, I think upgrading to a 25,000 watt transmitter wouldn't be too arduous. Of course they'd probably need CRTC approval, and would still have to cut the signal power at night.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Getting an FM frequency is hard. CJOB was denied rights to one a little while ago. Personally, with AM disappearing they should let all AM stations simulcast on FM. There are so many crap FM stations now I am sure they wouldn't mind selling.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Meh Transmitter strength is almost irrelevant to me these days. Just get a radio app for your smartphone and you can listen almost anywhere.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Meh Transmitter strength is almost irrelevant to me these days. Just get a radio app for your smartphone and you can listen almost anywhere.

Well ok then Mr Smartie pantz

:sarcasm:

Good idea BTW

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

I find that with the app I use (TuneIn Radio), I receive lots of buzzing / feedback from TSN1290. It seems to only happen when they are broadcasting from in studio, not when airing something recorded on-location or a rebroadcast of another show (Jim Rome for example).

Would be nice to find one that doesn't have these issues, it makes it almost un-listenable.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I find that with the app I use (TuneIn Radio), I receive lots of buzzing / feedback from TSN1290. It seems to only happen when they are broadcasting from in studio, not when airing something recorded on-location or a rebroadcast of another show (Jim Rome for example).

Would be nice to find one that doesn't have these issues, it makes it almost un-listenable.

The TSN app works well for me.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Good to hear, I removed it from my phone because it was generally a terrible app. Perhaps I will re-download it. Thanks!

The Score app is definitely better for the primary tasks that the TSN app seeks to accomplish, but the radio works fine, and TSN carries international hockey scores when Canada's playing as well.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
No problem with TuneIn Radio on my iphone...the signal is almost always better than the broadcast signal.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That too is incorrect. FM had terrible trouble in cities for decades. Solutions have been engineered to work around its difficulties, mostly just pumping out more powerful signals to overcome them. Many devices include FM only because AM is perceived as inadequate for music. 1290 has a very weak signal. I have a lot of difficulty with it especially after sunset.

FM cannot penetrate buildings well, which is why you can have trouble with FM reception especially downtown. Radio stations combat this with mini repeaters but is why you won't find FM transmitters in the city.

AM signals are weaker by design, but reception should improve at night due to less interference.

If you were to take your car and park it with it's front or back wheels in a body of water at night, all of the water acts as an antenna and you can recieve AM signals from very far away.

#oldradioguyfacts

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
If you were to take your car and park it with it's front or back wheels in a body of water at night, all of the water acts as an antenna and you can recieve AM signals from very far away.

#oldradioguyfacts

BRB. Driving car into lake to test radio signal.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I have Sirius XM in my car and it stops working at Portage and Main. Doesn't work downtown at all.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again - this Gabe Morency guy Hustler always has on on Fridays is an utter dolt. Really. He sounds like a true ignoramous...

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
FM cannot penetrate buildings well, which is why you can have trouble with FM reception especially downtown. Radio stations combat this with mini repeaters but is why you won't find FM transmitters in the city.

AM signals are weaker by design, but reception should improve at night due to less interference.

#oldradioguyfacts

Crazy. I'll have to test that one day.

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
I've said it before and I'll say it again - this Gabe Morency guy Hustler always has on on Fridays is an utter dolt. Really. He sounds like a true ignoramous...

I' d rather listen to Morency than some tool in a suit and tie or a former player with the personality of a thumb tack

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'd rather listen to somebody who was entertaining in some way.

...although he did make a couple good points relating to the whole Caitlyn Jenner thing...

jiho

Apr 30, 2012

I watch him every weekday on the Fantasy Sports Network...he has two shows (Morency Unfiltered and Game Time Decision). Great entertainment listening to his shows, especially when he has his buddy Cam Stewart on as a guest.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
Has anyone heard from WpgBoy84 lately? :laugh:

giphy.gif

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I watch him every weekday on the Fantasy Sports Network...he has two shows (Morency Unfiltered and Game Time Decision). Great entertainment listening to his shows, especially when he has his buddy Cam Stewart on as a guest.

Gabe is the Best! I love watching his Ustream show he has some good stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad