12-13 Winnipeg Jets Training Camp Thread

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
PS: The difference between the Byfuglien that I saw today and the one that appeared hobbled at the end of last season was night and day, was near startling in fact; he should be commended for all the hard word he clearly put in this summer.

Buff was the man out there today.

It's great to hear this. I always imagine what Buff playing to his full potential could be. Thanks for the info!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
same as Welly Lynk....he has the young child as well and is suppose to be very fit…………….hmmmmm?

my theory is these guys love their kids but absolutely need a reason to get out of the house and without real hockey........ergo the fitness kick :sarcasm:

There's that for sure.

Having that 1st kid can really make you take stock though. Not trying to read too much into anything, but that "could" be the sort of thing that could make a free spirit like Buff evaluate his priorities. Maybe he put his career, and everything that that entails (training, etc) higher in his priority list?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There's that for sure.

Having that 1st kid can really make you take stock though. Not trying to read too much into anything, but that "could" be the sort of thing that could make a free spirit like Buff evaluate his priorities. Maybe he put his career, and everything that that entails (training, etc) higher in his priority list?

I agree Huff........for those of us that have had that 1st child it does change the way you think about the planet.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Audio from IcePlex

It was a full house today at the IcePlex as fans descended on the only other open practice for the Jets during training camp.

Jets-at-IcePlex-300x156.jpg

Tobias Enstrom - Excited to be back. Playing with Byfuglien. Defensive corps. Can the team take the next step? Sticking with this organization and Winnipeg. Any changes to defensive structure? Does defence need to play better than last season? Looking forward to home opener. More intense at today's practice.

Nik Antropov - Ready to go for weekend? Challenges for this week to be ready. Eastern conference travel causing problems? How did it feel to play with Ponikarovsky? Where did he get hurt? (i.e. KHL). What can he expect from the Eastern Euro bloc line? What can he expect from this team? Where has team improved?

Spencer Machacek - Making this team in short training camp. What does the brass have to say to him? Is this his year to make next step? Playing in AHL give him advantage? Injuries have paved way for him.

To listen click here.

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for all the updates (Gump) and to those who have given them. Appreciated. Nice to hear Byfuglien is looking good.

jetkarma*

He really is: the 1st open practice, he surprised me. Looks to be in VERY good shape.

Litmus test for how the team may be buying in imo , I said after last season , seeing how Buff showed up for camp would be indicative of how thorough the buy in for the propgram was.

Looks positive :handclap:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
How are Mach, Postma, and Olli looking so far?

Postma looked steady today; no glaring errors, seemed fairly competent one-on-one in a limited viewing. Nice heavy, low shot on the tip-in drills as well.

Regarding Mach, I have not much of an opinion to offer; kept confusing him with Macenauer. Both failed to stand out really in any way though, good or bad.

Jokinen looked outstanding; he may have been the hardest working forward today IMO. Nothing flashy but his skating seemed more than sufficient, he still has 90% of his wheels it appears, but I was already a fan of his so I may admittedly be biased. Bottom line; busted his ass all session long.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach Noel Audio

With just a few days before the home opener, coach Noel had Antropov back on the ice and was missing his captain. He gave the assembled media a full accounting of the days Jets news.

Coach-Noel-January-16-2013-300x168.jpg

Coach Noel – Where is captain Ladd? Timeline? Jaffray signed and Peluso addition. How does Peluso fit in? Losing Glass, Peluso can replace those elements. Line combinations. 5 on 5 play. When does he decide on lines? Adding new defensive schemes? Defensive chemistry? Physical pace in today’s practice. Machacek’s game.

To listen click here.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Postma looked steady today; no glaring errors, seemed fairly competent one-on-one in a limited viewing. Nice heavy, low shot on the tip-in drills as well.

Regarding Mach, I have not much of an opinion to offer; kept confusing him with Macenauer. Both failed to stand out really in any way though, good or bad.

Jokinen looked outstanding; he may have been the hardest working forward today IMO. Nothing flashy but his skating seemed more than sufficient, he still has 90% of his wheels it appears, but I was already a fan of his so I may admittedly be biased. Bottom line; busted his ass all session long.
I love Postma point shots. On top of his slapper he seems to have a seeing eye wrister that can zip through high traffic areas.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
hey guys i drafted bogosian in my fantasy league wanted to know what his injury status is? Looking forward to seeing your guys in action this year down in S Fl.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
With today being essentially the last day of training camp as the team will shift into pre-game mode tomorrow for Saturday’s tilt with the Senators, the players were on the ice for about an hour and a half. Ended the skate with a breakaway competition, which ended with a goal by Mark Scheifele.

January-17-2013-Jets-practice-at-MTS-300x185.jpg

Andrew Ladd – Becoming a father. Surprised at the timing? Has to score on Saturday for his new son. Change perspective for going on the road. Other new dads on the team.

Chris Thorburn – How does he feel for the start of the week. Is it tough to not know who your 3rd linemate will be? Should Illegal Curve have the right to name their line? Looking ahead to the Senators.

Anthony Peluso – Reaction to being claimed by Winnipeg. What does he see as his role? Has he talked to coach Noel about his role? Work on developing his game. Any ties to the Jets organization? Does he expect to play on Saturday. What he knows about the market? Is he still on Cloud 11? First call he made when he got the word.

To listen click here.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
By the way for anyone interested, TSN has their 2-hour season preview on tonight! 8-10 et / 7-9 ct.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach Claude Noel press conference

The Jets had a vigorous final practice. Tomorrow the Jets have to shift to game preparation as the Senators and Jets will be practicing for Saturday’s game:

January-17-2013-Claude-Noel-300x168.jpg

Coach Noel – Thoughts on Peluso. Will he be a player for Saturday. How close is he to establishing lineups? Expect same group to practice tomorrow? Buff & Enstrom on power play. Standard for penalties. Went over rules with the league via conference call. Importance of goaltending Does Pavelec have to carry team? Is it difficult to gauge your team without exhibition games? Quality of today’s practice. Has the shortened season caused an issue assessing Scheifele? How many defencemen does he want to start the year? Importance of veteran depth defencemen. How is Zach Redmond doing? Spencer Machacek outlook.

To listen click here.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So they have to cut to 23 man roster soon... not sure if that counts injuries or not

---------------------------------------------
(stealing from Holden)

Forwards (16)
LW Andrew Ladd
LW Evander Kane
LW Alexei Ponikarovsky
LW Antti Miettinen*
C Olli Jokinen
C Bryan Little
C Nik Antropov*
C Jim Slater
C Mark Scheifele
C Maxime Macenauer
RW Blake Wheeler
RW Kyle Wellwood
RW Alex Burmistrov
RW Chris Thorburn
RW Spencer Machacek
RW Anthony Peluso

Defense (9)
LD Tobias Enstrom
LD Ron Hainsey
LD Mark Stuart
LD Grant Clitsome
LD Derek Meech
RD Dustin Byfuglien
RD Zach Bogosian*
RD Paul Postma
RD Zach Redmond

Goalie (2)
G Ondrej Pavelec
G Alvaro Montoya

*Injured
Bogosian - wrist; unknown
Miettinen - upper-body; indefinite
Antropov - upper-body; day-to-day

So that puts us at 27...
So that means they have to cut 1, 2 or 4 (depending if injuries count or not and Antro's health)
They will either go 13 F and 8 D or 14 F and 7 D...

I could be wrong but I believe Scheifele is the only one that won't have to clear through waivers too.

What's everyones guess?

If 1)
If 2)
If 4)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So they have to cut to 23 man roster soon... not sure if that counts injuries or not

(stealing from Holden)

Forwards (16)
LW Andrew Ladd
LW Evander Kane
LW Alexei Ponikarovsky
LW Antti Miettinen*
C Olli Jokinen
C Bryan Little
C Nik Antropov*
C Jim Slater
C Mark Scheifele
C Maxime Macenauer
RW Blake Wheeler
RW Kyle Wellwood
RW Alex Burmistrov
RW Chris Thorburn
RW Spencer Machacek
RW Anthony Peluso

Defense (9)
LD Tobias Enstrom
LD Ron Hainsey
LD Mark Stuart
LD Grant Clitsome
LD Derek Meech
RD Dustin Byfuglien
RD Zach Bogosian*
RD Paul Postma
RD Zach Redmond

Goalie (2)
G Ondrej Pavelec
G Alvaro Montoya

*Injured
Bogosian - wrist; unknown
Miettinen - upper-body; indefinite
Antropov - upper-body; day-to-day

So that puts us at 27...
So that means they have to cut 1, 2 or 4 (depending if injuries count or not and Antro's health)
They will either go 13 F and 8 D or 14 F and 7 D...

I could be wrong but I believe Scheifele is the only one that won't have to clear through waivers too.

What's everyones guess?

If 1)
If 2)
If 4)

Zach Redmond may go to St. John's without having to clear waivers as well as Scheifele (who of course cannot go to St. John's. The rest are waiver eligible.

Injuries do not count towards roster limit so long as they are put on IR...which it sounds like both Bogo and Miettinen will be since they are out long term...Antropov is day to day so unlikely he hits IR (once on IR you must stay on IR for 7 days).

My HOPE is...

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Scheifele
Ponikarovsky - Antropov - Burmistrov
Machacek - Slater - Thorburn/Wellwood
Wellwood/Thorburn - Peluso (since we know he'll be around no matter what)

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Postma
Stuart - Clitsome
Redmond

Pavelec
Montoya

IR: D Zach Bogosian, LW Antti Miettinen

Cut: C Maxime Maceneauer, D Derek Meech

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Evander Kane ‏@EKane9JETS
@slaterjim if you want another shot at the faceoff title ill be at the mts Center tomorrow morning. #thechampishere #3-1win

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Evander Kane ‏@EKane9JETS
@slaterjim if you want another shot at the faceoff title ill be at the mts Center tomorrow morning. #thechampishere #3-1win

Love it......Kane has been cracking me up since he's been at camp. I liked his comments to Orlesky about people needing a check up if the money phone bothered them. I can be rough on Kane but I have enjoyed how he has handled things in the past week. seems like he is loose, relaxed, and indifferent to the barbs and it's a style with the media that actually works well. It would be very beneficial to us if he lit it up this year. Wouldn't it be great if Wheeler, Kane, and Olli put up 200 points this year (pro rated to 48 games)

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Love it......Kane has been cracking me up since he's been at camp. I liked his comments to Orlesky about people needing a check up if the money phone bothered them. I can be rough on Kane but I have enjoyed how he has handled things in the past week. seems like he is loose, relaxed, and indifferent to the barbs and it's a style with the media that actually works well. It would be very beneficial to us if he lit it up this year. Wouldn't it be great if Wheeler, Kane, and Olli put up 200 points this year (pro rated to 48 games)

Agree...this is the kind of ribbing that teammates do with each other when they are coming together. The one from Ladd to Kane was an absolute classic :handclap:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Agree with you guys, i've liked the back and forth ribbing going on between the boys on twitter and such.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad