12-13 Winnipeg Jets Training Camp Thread

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Was gonna wait for official, but what the hell...

Predictions on who is in camp? This is what I would say, don't see the Jets bringing in anybody ala FLA...

Also, it's set to start likely Saturday/Sunday...

Forwards (16-2?)
LW Andrew Ladd
LW Evander Kane
LW Alexei Ponikarovsky
LW Antti Miettinen
C Olli Jokinen
C Bryan Little
C Nik Antropov (injured?)
C Jim Slater
C Mark Scheifele
C Patrice Cormier
C Maxime Macenauer (only if Antropov AND Burmistrov are hurt)
RW Blake Wheeler
RW Kyle Wellwood
RW Alex Burmistrov (injured?)
RW Chris Thorburn
RW Spencer Machacek

Defense (9-1)
LD Tobias Enstrom
LD Ron Hainsey
LD Mark Stuart
LD Grant Clitsome
LD Derek Meech
RD Dustin Byfuglien
RD Zach Bogosian (injured)
RD Paul Postma
RD Zach Redmond

Goalie (2)
G Ondrej Pavelec
G Alvaro Montoya

Only one cut to be made (Meech/Macenauer/Scheifele/Redmond, IMO), if one or both of Burmi and Antro are healthy only 1-2 cuts to be made (since I don't think Mace will be in camp if that's the case)...

Last edited:

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
Excited to see Jokinen lace 'em up. Seems like a quality guy off the ice. Hopefully he can contribute on the ice.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Small detail but Meech is LHD
as is Clitsome

I know Clitsome, Hainsey and Meech have experience playing both sides but they are left handed shots

I am really curious to see how Clitsome is used. He has tools and he is versatile, but he is so inconsistent. I wanted to see what Huddy could do with him.

Stupid lockout!

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
By mishandled, I assume you mean the fact that he was in the NHL at all...he's a weak #7, at best...

Mishandled as in he had his first chance to stay in the NHL and was a healthy scratch for most of the year because they didn't want to put him on waivers. Maybe they tried trading him, I don't know.

By the time he was actually needed, he was rusty and didn't perform.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Small detail but Meech is LHD
as is Clitsome

I know Clitsome, Hainsey and Meech have experience playing both sides but they are left handed shots

Urgh, I thought Clitsome and Meech were righties...:facepalm:...I did the whole thing by memory...

Mishandled as in he had his first chance to stay in the NHL and was a healthy scratch for most of the year because they didn't want to put him on waivers. Maybe they tried trading him, I don't know.

By the time he was actually needed, he was rusty and didn't perform.

He was a #7 at best, I still have no idea why the felt they had to hold onto him so bad...he was a healthy scratch because he wasn't good enough for anything else. Improved depth in the system and we won't have to worry about tweeners like that...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Grant played on the right side of Stuart a lot... and Meech to the right side of Oduya so in a way you were right ;)

Pretty good memory anyways! I only know cos I'm in the middle of writing crap on all of them haha

Yeah, well Meech being LH basically completely ends any chance he has to be with the Jets, IMO...since we have 4 (healthy!) D on that side, its the RD, particularly with the Bogosian injury that has openings...and yeah Clitsome played exsclusively on the right side last year, IIRC, so he will be fine over there...

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I am really curious to see how Clitsome is used. He has tools and he is versatile, but he is so inconsistent. I wanted to see what Huddy could do with him.

Stupid lockout!

First few games, he looked like a keeper. Made the smart easy play with the puck more often than not. Used his strength and leverage to separate player from puck. Played pretty well positionally.

Then as the year progressed, his play seemed to regress. I'm not sure if he was getting more minutes or put in different situations or with different partners, but he just didn't seem like the same player. If he returns to his 'earlier' form, he is a solid #6 or #7 dman, imo.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
He's of Cuban descent hence the name. Speaking of Montoya...anybody know what he did during the lockout? Did he practice with the Islanders or somebody else? Is he in town yet?

Kind of wish that we had held on to Kulda btw. He seemed solid defensively to me when he was called up last year.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Relevant to camp:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
It's "expected" tho not official yet that the 10-game rule for called up juniors will become the six-game rule.

That is, team could play underage junior for 5 games without burning a year of his entry level contract. A 6th game, tho, would burn year.

If, as expected, 6-game rule is adopted for underage juniors, it's just for this season. Would go back to 10 next year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Relevant to camp:

It's "expected" tho not official yet that the 10-game rule for called up juniors will become the six-game rule.

That is, team could play underage junior for 5 games without burning a year of his entry level contract. A 6th game, tho, would burn year.

If, as expected, 6-game rule is adopted for underage juniors, it's just for this season. Would go back to 10 next year.

This makes sense based on how late it is in the season and how it is really screwing up junior clubs that might want to deal a Strome or a Hamilton before their deadline but can't because those guys might stick with the parent club? I know the OHL is looking at moving their deadline to deal with this.

jetkarma*

Heard the comments from the rink that he looks lighter than anytime next year , this will help his knee too ....he was skating in mpls with that large nhl group wasn't he ?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Heard the comments from the rink that he looks lighter than anytime next year , this will help his knee too ....he was skating in mpls with that large nhl group wasn't he ?

holy **** yes this is exactly what i wanted to hear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad