OT: 115th Obsequious Banter Thread: 115 Minutes of Fame

Who did "Fame" best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
This is why America is dying. Your kind of "won't-do" attitude.

The good news is that I got the rest of the cutting done just now. Guess the battery just needed some exercise. The annoying news is that I had to go as far as it would with the clamp, then I had to handsaw a few inches, then I could finish with electrical wonder. The best news is after some eyeballing I don't think I'll have to halve the thickness after all. That was probably going to be a nuisance without a real rip saw.
Why don’t you take a picture of what you need to do?
Or better yet, let the child handle it.

• Haha
Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Why don’t you take a picture of what you need to do?
Or better yet, let the child handle it.

She did watch. I'm done. Just gotta waterproof and install.

It's a small thing. But I really don't have the powertool facilities for this kind of cutting and I can't deal with heat. In December this is a fun thing I just happily do by hand. This weekend, it's a thing I have to save every second I can on because I feel like I'm going to die the whole time I'm outside.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Basically I had to turn a larger oak board into a small 3x10 plank. As I said, easy in December. A life threatening task right now.

I probably could have blown through it if I'd sharpened the saw but holy hell that's a tedious task and I'm lazy. So figuring out how to use my shoddy setup to do power things without incident is all I had.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Basically I had to turn a larger oak board into a small 3x10 plank. As I said, easy in December. A life threatening task right now.

I probably could have blown through it if I'd sharpened the saw but holy hell that's a tedious task and I'm lazy. So figuring out how to use my shoddy setup to do power things without incident is all I had.
f*** sharpening a saw. Either buy a new one or pay someone to sharpen it. That shit is brutal

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Beksinksi rules. Poland has pumped out some great artists who also clearly need a lot of therapy
I'm sure I'd paint some weird shit too if I grew up in Poland during the Second World War.

Hold up, this is a first name.

I thought this was some random shit you put into an AI art program and that was the result.
So far as I know it's a perfectly normal Polish name.. Meanwhile we Americans are doing shit like this:

1693793618371.jpeg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
f*** sharpening a saw. Either buy a new one or pay someone to sharpen it. That shit is brutal

Someday I'll maybe have to do it for my nice saw. If I had good dedicated cross and rip saws, sure. But those supposed "all purpose" off the shelf things, which this is? No. Not worth it. But also they aren't sharp enough off the shelf to begin with.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Someday I'll maybe have to do it for my nice saw. If I had good dedicated cross and rip saws, sure. But those supposed "all purpose" off the shelf things, which this is? No. Not worth it. But also they aren't sharp enough off the shelf to begin with.
I sharpen my knives, I’m never going to sharpen my own saws. No matter how good they are. That’s just an insane amount of tedium that I don’t need.
It’s not even something you could casually do while watching sports and drinking a beer.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I sharpen my knives, I’m never going to sharpen my own saws. No matter how good they are. That’s just an insane amount of tedium that I don’t need.
It’s not even something you could casually do while watching sports and drinking a beer.

Not unless you want to hear the casual muffled thump of fingers hitting the carpet.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
She did watch. I'm done. Just gotta waterproof and install.

It's a small thing. But I really don't have the powertool facilities for this kind of cutting and I can't deal with heat. In December this is a fun thing I just happily do by hand. This weekend, it's a thing I have to save every second I can on because I feel like I'm going to die the whole time I'm outside.

I guy I worked with years ago referred to a handsaw I was about to use as "a heater." 30 seconds in I found out why.

Chisels and handplane blades are worth sharpening, and pretty easy once you get a little setup to do it, and get the hang of it.

Reactions: Lord Defect

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Fun fact, the US also looked at making 18" guns and even built one. Testing let the Navy decide they overall preferred the performance of the 16" 50cal gun. Japan didn't have the fire control tech to take advantage of the greater range, but we could use ours to max range. Japanese fire control wasn't fully local, they did have central plotting, but turrets weren't automatically pointed like on US ships. They had a "follow the pointer" system where turret crews would align their turret's pointer on a display with the target info provided from fire control. There was a lot of telephone game elements in their system leading to delay in input and error that the US didn't have. Those things matter especially at long ranges. Japan took a lot of cues from European design decisions that were based on North Atlantic conditions while we were getting ready for clear and calm weather Pacific long-distance fighting.

Also, the 18" shell was best at slugging-match range where you're blasting through the sides of opponents, while the US 16" was superior at long-range plunging fire. The Yamato was killable by US battleships that stay at range.

As the video mentioned though, the Japanese themselves made Yamato obsolete. Their fleet was built for a single decisive engagement between battleships forces. Their whole strategy and war outlook was built around that. The US was looking to oblige them. Bombing Pearl Harbor took that option off the table, which was actually kind of a favor because I think they very likely might have won that scenario. We had to completely change how we pursued a Pacific war. Japan kept holding out for the decisive engagement though (which meant they lost battles with good ships sitting out because they wanted to hold them in reserve for The Real Fight which never came), and by the time they realized it wasn't happening they'd already lost the war.

Also thanks for the video!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Years ago I learned not to sharpen while watching TV. I was sharpening chisels and cut the shit out of my hand. Luckily I'd been highly successful at sharpening, so I didn't even feel it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I guy I worked with years ago referred to a handsaw I was about to use as "a heater." 30 seconds in I found out why.

Chisels and handplane blades are worth sharpening, and pretty easy once you get a little setup to do it, and get the hang of it.

I've never gotten the hang of my hand planer.

Chicken N Raffls

Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Cat is home now. What a night. 7pm get the call. He's ready to go. Get there around 8. "Let me check"

8:30- "For Sawyer?" I go up to the counter and pay. "I'll let them know in back. Nurse will bring him out"

9- nurse finally brings him out, explains meds, I'm out.

10 minutes from home Kitten calls. "Bring him in the front door. There's a swarm of murder hornets outside the side door. I just let Mya out, don't know how I'll get her back in." I tell her to let the dog out the side gate and through the front door. She texts, "There's bees nests out front too!"

I'm about 5 minutes away now, forming my plan. Driving on the highway I see the biggest shooting star I've ever seen. So low on the horizon and lasting so long, that I could see a shape to it, and a greenish glow. Almost thought I was watching a plane crash. Or aliens. Any other time I would marvel at seeing this awesome phenomenon, but the day I'm having I'm expecting to come home to a crater in my backyard.

Get home. Leave cat in the car while I inspect the bee situation. They're swarming around our light above the door. Assume they aren't aggressive, but not taking chances. Grab the spray which is on the porch rail. Psssss. Basically empty, but I get a few. Ask her if we have more. She cracks the screen door and hands out a new can. I get the rest, and bring the cat in.

Now I just have to deal with a conehead for a few weeks. But the Phillies won, so...
#Forthejuju

20230903_222301.jpg
20230903_215657.jpg

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Cat is home now. What a night. 7pm get the call. He's ready to go. Get there around 8. "Let me check"

8:30- "For Sawyer?" I go up to the counter and pay. "I'll let them know in back. Nurse will bring him out"

9- nurse finally brings him out, explains meds, I'm out.

10 minutes from home Kitten calls. "Bring him in the front door. There's a swarm of murder hornets outside the side door. I just let Mya out, don't know how I'll get her back in." I tell her to let the dog out the side gate and through the front door. She texts, "There's bees nests out front too!"

I'm about 5 minutes away now, forming my plan. Driving on the highway I see the biggest shooting star I've ever seen. So low on the horizon and lasting so long, that I could see a shape to it, and a greenish glow. Almost thought I was watching a plane crash. Or aliens. Any other time I would marvel at seeing this awesome phenomenon, but the day I'm having I'm expecting to come home to a crater in my backyard.

Get home. Leave cat in the car while I inspect the bee situation. They're swarming around our light above the door. Assume they aren't aggressive, but not taking chances. Grab the spray which is on the porch rail. Psssss. Basically empty, but I get a few. Ask her if we have more. She cracks the screen door and hands out a new can. I get the rest, and bring the cat in.

Now I just have to deal with a conehead for a few weeks. But the Phillies won, so...
#Forthejuju

View attachment 740847View attachment 740848
I have never seen a car with the cone of shame on. I hope conehead heals well bud.
Nice job not only murdering murder hornets but seeing the space ship that put them there.

Chicken N Raffls

Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I've never gotten the hang of my hand planer.

Same. I bought an electric one and it’s much simpler to use.
I wonder why I have 8 or so hand planers when I never use them.

My brain is fried, but we need to continue this conversation. A razor sharp and well setup plane is an absolute joy and one of the most satisfying tools to use. I got a Stanley ( no.whatever...don't remember right now) off Ebay years ago and this happened. Father's day present for my pop.

IMG_7022_2_zpspdutlynx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad