JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Coworker to my wife: "What are you doing for his 40th? Are you having a party?"
Wife: "No, we're not doing anything."
Coworker: "Come on, you have to have a party!"
Wife: "I guarantee you that the last thing he wants is a party."

Keeper.

I have a buddy who has an arrangement with his wife. She throws him a party every year and he doesn’t show up. They all take pictures with a giant cardboard cutout. :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
When are you coming out, mid September?
Yeah, fly out Sept. 13th and come back the 17th. On the 13th I get into Bandon at 12:15PM and we don't have any golf planned that day. We're playing two rounds per day the 14th, 15th and 16th and then I have like a 2PM flight out on the 17th. The day to do any exploring will be the day that I get in.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
BG3 and all Civ-style games are far more CPU intensive than GPU. I would upgrade that before the graphics card.
just how far up the line can I move from the current chip I have? which is so you don't have to go back to the first page lol

AMD Ryzen 3 2300X 3.5GHz [4.0GHz Turbo] Quad-Core 8MB Cache 65W Processor

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
just how far up the line can I move from the current chip I have? which is so you don't have to go back to the first page lol

AMD Ryzen 3 2300X 3.5GHz [4.0GHz Turbo] Quad-Core 8MB Cache 65W Processor

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ is the foolproof way to check compatibility between parts. In your case, it’s the mobo compatability that would limit you.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ is the foolproof way to check compatibility between parts. In your case, it’s the mobo comparability that would limit you.
PCP art picker? They must be some wild looking paintings

honestly i do not do a whole lot of PC gaming...but right now the little machine is chugging along to play BG3..other than that ..American Truck Simulator and the occasional Civ or Civ like
Civ is the bomb

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Yeah, fly out Sept. 13th and come back the 17th. On the 13th I get into Bandon at 12:15PM and we don't have any golf planned that day. We're playing two rounds per day the 14th, 15th and 16th and then I have like a 2PM flight out on the 17th. The day to do any exploring will be the day that I get in.
Your arrival day is my bday and I have the whole week off. Watch out, Bernie and I might drop in! Jk we will be up in goats rocks WA

Edit: I’ll get into specifics when I get a chance to get at a map but as I mentioned, Charleston would be a great spot to hit on the way down from the airport to get oysters. A bit off of the main road but a cool sleepy harbor. Port orford has an emerald Green Bay unlike anywhere on the coast. The state park just south, Humbug has a cool hike/beach. Might be a little far though... can’t exactly remember. Bandon state park is really cool also and right by the golf. I stayed in the hiker/biker there and explored the park, really beautiful

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cody Webster

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ is the foolproof way to check compatibility between parts. In your case, it’s the mobo compatability that would limit you.

It galls me that RAM doesn't normally have voltages in their regular specs along with timing and such. You have to dig into motherboard and memory specs to check that. The average joe probably doesn't know to do that, but might see RAM as an easy thing to upgrade/fix.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It galls me that RAM doesn't normally have voltages in their regular specs along with timing and such. You have to dig into motherboard and memory specs to check that. The average joe probably doesn't know to do that, but might see RAM as an easy thing to upgrade/fix.

Ask @Striiker about me trying to explain that you have to manually enable XMP even on a pre-built PC just to get the advertised speeds on your RAM.

I was trying so hard to strike the balance between not assuming knowledge and not treating him like an idiot. Luckily he understood immediately.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Ask @Striiker about me trying to explain that you have to manually enable XMP just to get the advertised speeds on your RAM.

I was trying so hard to strike the balance between not assuming knowledge and not treating him like an idiot. Luckily he understood immediately.
Do I have to do that to a brand new, unmodded laptop?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Do I have to do that to a brand new, unmodded laptop?

Laptops might or might not have the capability, but if it does, then yes. If you want me to check for you, link it here or via PM.

Most (but not all) builders ship it with XMP off even if capable. This is for warranty reasons.

Reactions: Lord Defect

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ask @Striiker about me trying to explain that you have to manually enable XMP even on a pre-built PC just to get the advertised speeds on your RAM.

That's the kind of thing that a decently knowledgeable and competent person would reasonably not know. It's ridiculous. When I'm in charge these people will be electrocuted.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Which is especially challenging since I am, without question, an idiot.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
That's the kind of thing that a decently knowledgeable and competent person would reasonably not know. It's ridiculous. When I'm in charge these people will be electrocuted.
I guess you forgot about your secretary of blowtorching.
Sad face.

Which is especially challenging since I am, without question, an idiot.
Seconded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad