Injury Report: 1/23/2018 - Joe Thornton injuiry

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Hertl can certainly do it but leaving Couture without someone to take the draws for him is not going to be good for that line. They probably should move Meier down to Couture's line and move Hertl up with Pavelski.

Karlsson-Hertl-Pavelski
Meier-Couture-Labanc
Boedker-Tierney-Donskoi
Goodrow/Sorensen-O'Regan-Ward

They need to get a real center on that 4th line. This trying wingers out as center cost them dearly in the last game and it's not likely to improve any.

I love the looks of your second line

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Hertl can certainly do it but leaving Couture without someone to take the draws for him is not going to be good for that line. They probably should move Meier down to Couture's line and move Hertl up with Pavelski.

Karlsson-Hertl-Pavelski
Meier-Couture-Labanc
Boedker-Tierney-Donskoi
Goodrow/Sorensen-O'Regan-Ward

They need to get a real center on that 4th line. This trying wingers out as center cost them dearly in the last game and it's not likely to improve any.
I like those lines and agree that they need a real 4C. I would like to see O'Regan on the wing, maybe with Tierney and Donskoi, then put Boedker up with Hertl and Pavelski. O'Regan would also be useful on the 2nd pp unit while Thornton is out, since Labanc was bumped up to the top unit.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Torn MCLs are just as bad. Take Hertl for example.

Apple's and oranges, Hertl tore his MCL and PCL, which can complicate recocery. Grade I and even II MCLs tears are a fairly fast recovery.

I am concerned Thornton's injury required surgery, as MCL injuries often don't require it.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
giphy.gif

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
If it’s an eight week recovery that would put his return at the end of March. If it’s any longer than that you have to wonder if there’s something they’re not telling us.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Apple's and oranges, Hertl tore his MCL and PCL, which can complicate recocery. Grade I and even II MCLs tears are a fairly fast recovery.

I am concerned Thornton's injury required surgery, as MCL injuries often don't require it.

That's puzzling me too since IIRC surgery is often not helpful even for Grade III MCL tears. Recovery is often just as quick and complete without surgery. Maybe there's some other factor that made surgery advisable here.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
That's puzzling me too since IIRC surgery is often not helpful even for Grade III MCL tears. Recovery is often just as quick and complete without surgery. Maybe there's some other factor that made surgery advisable here.

is there any chance it was just to check it out?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Just a quick under-the-hood check? lol

"nothing to see here, sew 'er up, boys"

more like, it's still too swollen to really get a good picture, but if it needs repair we need to go in anyway, so let's scope it and fix it if need be ASAP.
i'm pretty sure arthroscopy can happen without an attendant repair. in a way that's the point of arthroscopy.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
is there any chance it was just to check it out?

Maybe he has bone spurs or other problems that they'd normally ignore but since he has the MCL tear, they're doing the surgery. But then I'd also guess the MCL tear is at least Grade II. Who knows. I'm amazed that they shared that it was an MCL tear. I don't expect them to share exactly why he had surgery, the grade of the tear, etc.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
New Kurz article on the Athletic

The update was not only very brief and lacking detail, it was even a bit puzzling, according to Dr. David Chao, a former NFL team doctor for more than 17 years.
“The statement is confusing, because you don’t fix an MCL through arthroscopic surgery,” Chao told The Athletic. “The only hope is that the surgery was for something like a meniscus or cartilage related to the MCL. Otherwise, if it’s just the MCL, it could be a three-to-four month recovery period.”

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
So we just have no information about anything re: Jumbo, right? No timetable, no official injury report, nothing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad