Injury Report: 1/23/2018 - Joe Thornton injuiry

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
We need someone to do an old-style GDT featuring Thornton as a Terminator when he comes back....

Even still being Lord Passington. "I say, old chap, I must declare my solicitude over any potential inconveniences that this may engender, but I am afraid I am obliged by my most friendly new programming to rip out your spleen through your left nostril. There, I was most courteous, don't you think, my noble companion?"

"Why yes, sir, indubitably"

"Mmmmmm, yes, indeed"

:sarcasm:
lol

Reactions: SharkAttack86

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Last reported that he’d begin skating in a week or so. Hopefully he can get in a game or two before the regular season ends. It looks like we’re going to get the Joe Thornton we got during last years playoffs. :(

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Damn, guess we get one legged Jumbo for the playoffs again. (I mean if we make it haha)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If we get the same one legged thornton as last years playoffs it won't be so bad. But we just have to hope that its not the same team behind him since a one legged thornton was the best player for the sharks last year. That can't happen again.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Joe was surprisingly good last playoffs despite his lack of leg. I wouldn’t complain if we got that version back.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If we get the same one legged thornton as last years playoffs it won't be so bad. But we just have to hope that its not the same team behind him since a one legged thornton was the best player for the sharks last year. That can't happen again.
He's a first ballot hofer, but the only reason he looked so great in comparison is because the entire team up front was hurt.

Honestly, a better team would have swept the Sharks last year.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I didn't think Thornton was that good last playoffs, and certainly not the best player on the team. I feel our expectations were just really low after that injury and it was a pleasant surprise that he could even skate.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
What happens to the line up when he comes back? It's like trying to solve one of those math questions, "If the train is traveling 55 mph/hr, ..." Oh jesus. LOL For reals, What % of thornton do we get back? What Pavelski do we get on wing? Can Boedker stay consistent? Does Lebanc even make the line up when Ward comes back?

I feel like if Lebanc can go back to playing in top 6 form try

Meier-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Couture-Lebanc
Kane-Tierney-Donskoi
Ward-Fehr-Boedker.

I know Kane will get his shot with Thornton but you know at some point he's going to hail mary the KPD line and might aswell go back to geometry class to figure out how to build a bridge with the rest of the line up. I'd like to see Deboer test out who Fehr has chemistry with past Goodrow and Karlsson. A loaded 4th line could be deadly if everybody else is going.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
If/when jumbo comes back, i'd throw him on the 3rd line to start. No need to break up the top two lines, who have been playing great. Pavs seems like he has more freedom without Joe (strange but production doesnt lie), and along with Kane and Donkey, they have been playing great. Same with Hertl, Cooch, and [insert player]

Putting Joe on the 3rd line gives us incredible depth down the middle, even if tierney centers the 4th line or wings the third.

Just spitballing ideas, but in short, i dont think he has the gas to play top line minutes and would be way better on the 3rd line and crushing the PP

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Kane-Pavelski--Donskoi
Hertl-Couture-Lebanc
Meier-Thornton-Boedker
Ward/Karlsson-Tierney-Goodrow

This is very similar to what I want, but I would swap LaBanc and Meier. Meier is one of our best defensive forwards and the line with Hertl and Couture will be the shutdown line in the playoffs. I would also ditch Ward/Melker for Hansen.

Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Couture-Hertl-Meier
Boedker-Thornton-LaBanc
Goodrow-Tierney-Hansen

No matter which line is our 3rd, it will be scoring. You want to match Joe Thornton up against anything other than top competition for the first time in this century? Great, with good Boedker and LaBanc he will undoubtedly produce. You want Pavelski back at 3C for the first time since 2013? Awesome, he's got better linemates than he ever had even as a 2C back then and his line has been completely decimating higher competition than that already. On the road, couldn't get Hertl out against top comp, and he's playing against scrubs? Great, he and Meier will certainly dominate the xGF%/CF% matchup more than they ever have before, and Couture will ensure that all that dominance and possession is translated to goals.

And then our 4th line is a line I would be comfortable matching up against almost any 3rd line. The main reason that we got destroyed by Pittsburgh was the HBK line matching against our 3rd line and this 4th line is better than our 3rd line was when we made the SCF.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi line is fine for now but I doubt it will be to a point where it's unbreakable when Thornton comes back.

Kane-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Couture-Labanc
Meier-Tierney-Boedker
Goodrow-Fehr-Karlsson/Ward

They're not going to bump Tierney to the 4th line no matter what. The chances of Thornton not being with Pavelski is slim to none.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi line is fine for now but I doubt it will be to a point where it's unbreakable when Thornton comes back.

Kane-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Couture-Labanc
Meier-Tierney-Boedker

They're not going to bump Tierney to the 4th line no matter what. The chances of Thornton not being with Pavelski is slim to none.
Donskoi?

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Kane-Thornton-Pavelski
Hertl-Couture-Labanc
Meier-Tierney-Boedker

I agree, I think DeBoer is too stubborn to leave that line alone. I also agree that he won’t take Fehr out if he’s healthy so Tierney will be locked into 3C unfortunately. That being said I think your lines are spot on with what DeBoer will ice once Jumbo returns except Donkey will be where Labanc is.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I knew I was missing someone. Put Donskoi in Boedker's spot and move Boedker into the Karlsson/Ward spot. lol

I agree, I think DeBoer is too stubborn to leave that line alone. I also agree that he won’t take Fehr out if he’s healthy so Tierney will be locked into 3C unfortunately. That being said I think your lines are spot on with what DeBoer will ice once Jumbo returns except Donkey will be where Labanc is.

It shouldn't be viewed as unfortunate that Tierney is locked into the 3C spot. He's earned it. He's having a phenomenal year. I don't know why anyone would want to demote someone from the 3rd line who has a good chance at scoring 20 goals this year and maybe getting 40 points. Pavelski certainly has done better in the all-around game but he's no Thornton in the pivot and Pavelski is the best winger for Thornton to have.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I knew I was missing someone. Put Donskoi in Boedker's spot and move Boedker into the Karlsson/Ward spot. lol

It shouldn't be viewed as unfortunate that Tierney is locked into the 3C spot. He's earned it. He's having a phenomenal year. I don't know why anyone would want to demote someone from the 3rd line who has a good chance at scoring 20 goals this year and maybe getting 40 points. Pavelski certainly has done better in the all-around game but he's no Thornton in the pivot and Pavelski is the best winger for Thornton to have.

I say that because Pavs has scored at a PPG pace in the 19 games Thornton has been out, something he wasn’t doing before Joe went down. I don’t look at it as a demotion for Tierney but a testament to the quality of Center depth. I wouldn’t mind seeing a fourth line anchored by Tierney out there down by a goal with 4 minutes left. DeBoer could literally just roll four lines.

Also, if this line continues having this kind of success, would you want to break up a line that has developed a month and a half of chemistry right before playoffs just because Thornton is back? Let’s just try Kane-Thornton-Pavs and see if it works come game 1? I’d put Thornton with Hertl and Meier personally because Hertl really does need a boost. Then Labanc-Couture-Boedker. Goodrow-Fehr-Ward/Karlsson/Hansen. My .02

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I say that because Pavs has scored at a PPG pace in the 19 games Thornton has been out, something he wasn’t doing before Joe went down. I don’t look at it as a demotion for Tierney but a testament to the quality of Center depth. I wouldn’t mind seeing a fourth line anchored by Tierney out there down by a goal with 4 minutes left. DeBoer could literally just roll four lines.

Also, if this line continues having this kind of success, would you want to break up a line that has developed a month and a half of chemistry right before playoffs just because Thornton is back? Let’s just try Kane-Thornton-Pavs and see if it works come game 1? I’d put Thornton with Hertl and Meier personally because Hertl really does need a boost. Then Labanc-Couture-Boedker. Goodrow-Fehr-Ward/Karlsson/Hansen. My .02

Pavs was also scoring at a point per game pace from December 7th on through the game that Jumbo got hurt which was 21 games. Pavs production early on is likely linked to both him and Jumbo dealing with their respective injuries and them seemingly turning a corner at around that point. I'm not worried at all about shifting Pavs back to wing and I think Kane with the Joes would do pretty damn good and better than what they have now. As for Tierney, you can try and sell that as such but at the end of the day, putting him as 4C means less ice time and less critical situations and worse linemates. It's a demotion at the end of the day and he simply doesn't deserve it.

We have to keep things in perspective when it comes to the current line of Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi. It's been three games against two crappy teams and a fringe playoff team. And Jumbo still probably has a while before he returns to the lineup. We'll see where the line is in production and play quality at that point but I'm doubting it's enough to think that it'd be worse to put Jumbo there with Kane and Pavs.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Hertl-Thornton-Couture
Meier-Tierney-Boedker/Labanc

Those lines look good and assuming Pav's line is able to continue their strong play, it will be a tough match-up for most teams.
I would also expect Ward or Karlsson to slot up when protecting the lead.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I really don't see how Deboer can go wrong honestly. I like this problem because if we make the playoffs the line up very well could evolve as it goes on and have the potential to get hot late april/early may I think it would be wise to get Ward going early rather than substitute him in a game 6 or 7 and I think its safe to say Fehr wil be at 4C to fight through the heavy west. But like I said before he can play RW, try him with Tierney. Thornton at 3C is the year we win the cup.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Pavs was also scoring at a point per game pace from December 7th on through the game that Jumbo got hurt which was 21 games. Pavs production early on is likely linked to both him and Jumbo dealing with their respective injuries and them seemingly turning a corner at around that point. I'm not worried at all about shifting Pavs back to wing and I think Kane with the Joes would do pretty damn good and better than what they have now. As for Tierney, you can try and sell that as such but at the end of the day, putting him as 4C means less ice time and less critical situations and worse linemates. It's a demotion at the end of the day and he simply doesn't deserve it.

We have to keep things in perspective when it comes to the current line of Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi. It's been three games against two crappy teams and a fringe playoff team. And Jumbo still probably has a while before he returns to the lineup. We'll see where the line is in production and play quality at that point but I'm doubting it's enough to think that it'd be worse to put Jumbo there with Kane and Pavs.

It has been three games you’re right, my point is if they keep it up why break up something that’s already working for an uncertainty? Maybe it’s just me but I feel like Pavs has been skating a little faster since joining Donkey and Kane. Maybe it’s because Thornton likes to slow things down more but I feel like Pavs was shutdown a lot easier playing that way. The faster transition game seems to be working for him. However, if the line becomes unproductive I obviously wouldn’t be against trying what you suggested.

If you want to keep Tierney at 3C stack Joe with Hertl and Couture as suggested above. That could be a great possession line. And Hertl-Couture-Boedker hasnt looked that great.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It has been three games you’re right, my point is if they keep it up why break up something that’s already working for an uncertainty? Maybe it’s just me but I feel like Pavs has been skating a little faster since joining Donkey and Kane. Maybe it’s because Thornton likes to slow things down more but I feel like Pavs was shutdown a lot easier playing that way. The faster transition game seems to be working for him. However, if the line becomes unproductive I obviously wouldn’t be against trying what you suggested.

If you want to keep Tierney at 3C stack Joe with Hertl and Couture as suggested above. That could be a great possession line. And Hertl-Couture-Boedker hasnt looked that great.

Because Thornton and Pavelski isn't really uncertainty. You know what you're going to get and they were going pretty good when Thornton got hurt. Of course Pavs is going to look slower on the wing because he's not as involved with the play but he was producing with Jumbo at the point he got hurt. That and I just don't have confidence in a Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi line up against playoff teams and controlling the puck all that well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->