Injury Report: 1/23/2018 - Joe Thornton injuiry

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I can't imagine the team will release anything on Jumbo until after the trade deadline. If he is out until the playoffs but the team still wants to be a buyer come end of Feb then it's in our best interest to keep things hush hush or else teams will use that as leverage against us as annoying as it is as a fan

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I can't imagine the team will release anything on Jumbo until after the trade deadline. If he is out until the playoffs but the team still wants to be a buyer come end of Feb then it's in our best interest to keep things hush hush or else teams will use that as leverage against us as annoying as it is as a fan

I agree. Same if he's coming back at 100% or anything in between. The less info the other party has, the more flexible you can be.

I'd extend that to after the TDL too. It's harder for other teams to plan strategy if they don't have good info. E.g., if they could spring a 100% Thornton on a team at the last minute, it would be hard to plan for games against the Sharks. With good coaches, that's a big part of playoff series. Won't happen bc the disadvantage to Thornton/Sharks of him not playing any games until the playoffs (if he's ready to go) would outweigh that but the less info other teams have about the Sharks, the better.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The fact that he's hoping to return is probably not the best sign coming from Jumbo.

Wasn't that the wording last year into the playoffs and also this offseason?

I could see him being able to come back right now with no issues, but the team and him want to keep him out a little longer just to make sure he is close to or at 100% when he comes back.

But if things start spiraling out of control in the standings he will be back.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
He also has to think about the offseason. If he goes back on the ice and reinjures himself right before the offseason, his value will theoretically tank.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I could see him being able to come back right now with no issues, but the team and him want to keep him out a little longer just to make sure he is close to or at 100% when he comes back.

I honestly don't remember Thornton's wording of last season's injury but that's just my initial impression.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
The fact that he's hoping to return is probably not the best sign coming from Jumbo.
That was my initial reaction as well. However the more I think about it, the more I think that's what he would have said no matter what. I don't put much stock into what anyone says regarding injuries in the nhl. It wouldn't surprise me if he misses most/all of the season, and it wouldn't surprise me if we see him skating at practice a week from now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That was my initial reaction as well. However the more I think about it, the more I think that's what he would have said no matter what. I don't put much stock into what anyone says regarding injuries in the nhl. It wouldn't surprise me if he misses most/all of the season, and it wouldn't surprise me if we see him skating at practice a week from now.

My initial reaction stemmed from my own belief that I thought I remembered him being a lot more direct about his injury last time but I may be wrong about that.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

He said "no doubt I'll be ready for the start of the playoffs" then said "day-by-day" after missing Game 1 and 2.
Can't really trust anything Thornton says, but completely disagree with you saying he can come back with no issues and they're just being precautious right now.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
So we just have no information about anything re: Jumbo, right? No timetable, no official injury report, nothing?

I don't think there's much. Kurz gave a brief update on the Athletic today. Joe's doing a lot of rehab and hopes to play again this year, but there is no timetable. It seems that there's some confusion regarding the injury, i.e. a doctor has said that MCLs are not repaired by arthroscopic surgery, so it could be meniscus, cartilage, etc. (I think this part is old news).

EDIT: Looks like the people above me have covered all of this.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
This year as in this season or this year as in next season?

This season.

[T]he Sharks general manager provided an optimistic forecast on the likelihood that the 38-year-old forward will return this season.

“Do I expect him back? Yes,” Wilson said. “You should never close the door on Jumbo. He’s working hard. He knows his body better than anybody and he knows the phases that he went through last year.”

Wilson isn’t just spouting blind optimism. His prognosis is being fueled by the timeline that Thornton is setting for himself. If everything goes according to plan, Thornton will be back on the ice in the near future.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That's what good teams do. Players step up when their roles are expanded. I don't think all of those paces are sustainable, but their contributions are why the team is keeping their head above water

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Very interesting. I do think the team plays faster without Thornton, at least to me that is how it looks since hes been gone.

I certainly don't know if I would say its "better" but it certainly is a different style, especially the Pavs line, without Thornton there.

Either way, I think Thornton's absence is a blessing for the future. A lot of players are currently being forced to majorly step up their game without Thornton to fall back on, and without Hertl that is further expounded. Some guys are really answering the call, and showing what they can do when Thornton finally does leave this team, sooner or later. I honestly though the team would fall apart more or less, and so far they have very much exceeded my expectations, which is awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad