Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/3/19 | jets @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
ADA with 7 giveaways last night. thats not his game. im sure it was nerves and some pressures too.

mika was an absolute monster. he and trouba showed up big time.

pegs D was hot garbage. ours was better but its expected first game jitters and facing that team is a nightmare.

overall, 6-4 win feels good.

i think this game will mirror this team early maybe first 25 games.

lethal PP. dangerous first line. solid PK. bottom 6 that works hard and is tough to play against.

leaky defense until they gel.

solid net play.

many 5-4 games.

This is my issue with advanced stats. Someone posted here last night that ADA had the highest Corsi out of any defenseman, but he was absolute crap. First game, so I'm not gonna take much from it. Nice to see them get a win. Would have hated them to start the season 0-2 with like 8 days off till their next game.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Give it another season at least before expecting marked improvement. Likely 2 seasons before we really see top 15 quality D
I'm not of the opinion you need first round picks to play quality defense. It's more of sticking to the system, playing as a team, showing support. Defense is more a learned behavior, than instinctual. Even poor teams can play good D. The Yotes were tied for 3rd in goals against in the west last year and did not make the playoffs. We can still play good D even in a rebuild.

Reactions: NYR

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
As you would guess, my cell was dead last night before the first period ended. So here are a few random thoughts from 33,000 feet...

For me, the play of the game was the headman pass Trouba made to send Mika in for his breakaway goal. Heads up hockey. The Rangers weren’t trying to cherry pick, they just made a great play.

Winnipeg has a real good group of forwards, one of the top groups in the league. With all the holdouts it took some focus away from how really good that group is. That is what depth looks like.

The Howden line has some really good moments in the first period but then disappeared until late in the third. Fortunately they showed back up just in time. I thought Fast played really well the entire game.

Brendan Smith deserves some credit for coming back form the dead and actually having a few good moments.

The Rangers could really use an aircraft carrier on the wing. Maybe a guy like Josh Anderson.

The 2019-20 Rangers are starting to remind me a lot of the 1992-94 Philadelphia Flyers...a bit of a third world country. Several top end players and a handful of guys who either because of age or inexperience, are somewhat out of their element. Not enough of a middle class. Hopefully that will come with more experience and continued smart acquisition of players.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Once Chytil comes back up and maybe Kravtsov our lines will fill out better. I think Hajek and Fox were overwhelmed with nerves last night. Hajek likely has a couple more games to prove himself before we see Lindgren.

agreed

i think ADA also was holding the stick too tight

too bad rykov was hurt. would have liked him in this lineup to add some muscle.

agree on lindgren, while not flashy he seems like a steady reliable defensive guy and thats what we need to settle the front of the net. we need to tighten up the front area and stop backing up.

i liked smiths game too and would welcome him on the left side of that 3rd pair next game.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I like Quinn as a motivator and teacher but he absolutely leaves a LOT to be desired in terms of strategy/cohesion, at least in my mind. He’s the ultimate “transition” coach IMO. I don’t think he’s gonna be here when the team is at their best.
Kind of like Renney, imo.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Is Kakko going to be groomed to jump up with Breadman and Zib, or is that spot Buch’s all season?
They should give Buch more than one game to prove he is worthy, that's for sure. He got shoved around last night, give him another chance. Let them both, Buch and Kakko have time to build up their confidence.

Something tells me Buch is gonna have a great game Saturday night. He can't be happy about this game and will bounce back.

Last edited:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'm not of the opinion you need first round picks to play quality defense. It's more of sticking to the system, playing as a team, showing support. Defense is more a learned behavior, than instinctual. Even poor teams can play good D. The Yotes were tied for 3rd in goals against in the west last year and did not make the playoffs. We can still play good D even in a rebuild.

Sticky this

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I was considering that when I said what I said.

Young kids. new pros. Need to learn a lot including the system. Not just Dmen either. Then skills need to catch up to what the brain wants to do and due to the amount of youth on the team we don't have many vets to shield some of these young D and F.

So it will take another year or 2 and it should bc we didn't add 3 Crosby's 1 Heiskanen and 2 Dahlin's

I also question whether several of these guys (especially on D) have what's needed between the ears

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Panarin and Trouba are going to be looking to pull a Gaborik and work their way onto our HF team-of-the-decade despite only having been here a half season at that point.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not sure which game you watched, but Skjei did not play poorly. In fact, he made some fantastic plays.
I don't know if you watch a lot of other teams play, but there aren't too many D around the league who play perfectly clean games. Lots of #1D are liabilities in their own end but get praised for their point production. Give Skjei a chance. He had an off year last season. I think he puts up 40 points and plays an above average defensive game this year.
I also thought that Hajek didn't play too bad either. This is a very young kid with limited NHL experience. He's out there with another rookie against a big talented team. Yes, he takes some unnecessary hits, but he was pretty composed otherwise. I'm not sure what we expect from a young kid. One thing for sure is that Lindgren comes with his own set of shortcomings and needs time to develop. Quinn selected the right guy.
The only pair that really struggled was ADA and Staal. With ADA being late to camp, it might take a week or two to get back up to speed. Unfortunately, Staal is just too slow
I understand that not every defenseman has a great game every night. Skjei was poor last night. Maybe first night jitters, maybe not. I was hoping to see some more, given the new partner and comfort level there. Of course I am not saying to bench him immediately, so not sure what the "give him a chance" line is about. But impressive he was not.

Regarding Hajek, I was hoping for more assertiveness. Again could be opening night jitters. Yes, Lindgren is not perfect. But he looked just as comfortable playing in the league last year as Hajek did. And he had a better camp. Again, no knee jerk reactions, just comments made by observations.

As to how much I watch other teams play, I think that most fans that actually tend to take the time to post so much on a message board are probably not your average run of the mill as far as watching other hockey games go. Or hockey in general.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is Kakko going to be groomed to jump up with Breadman and Zib, or is that spot Buch’s all season?
There is no grooming. For Kakko to take Buch's spot, Buch has to perform poorly and Kakko has to perform better. If that happens, he will jump. If he does not earn it, he will not.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I also question whether several of these guys (especially on D) have what's needed between the ears
I just don't think it takes years to come together and play solid D. But you are right, that some players will never have what it takes. ADA doesn't strike me as one who will ever end up being a shutdown D-men for example. But if he can reduce the number of glaring mistakes, his other attributes will be more than a welcome addition to this team. Whereas Skjei needs to be very sound defensively, cause that is all he brings.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Has someone posted the Corsi graph? All I can find is this:

Corsica | Games

I assume I'm looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

Edit: That didn't link correctly.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I understand that not every defenseman has a great game every night. Skjei was poor last night. Maybe first night jitters, maybe not. I was hoping to see some more, given the new partner and comfort level there. Of course I am not saying to bench him immediately, so not sure what the "give him a chance" line is about. But impressive he was not.

Regarding Hajek, I was hoping for more assertiveness. Again could be opening night jitters. Yes, Lindgren is not perfect. But he looked just as comfortable playing in the league last year as Hajek did. And he had a better camp. Again, no knee jerk reactions, just comments made by observations.

As to how much I watch other teams play, I think that most fans that actually tend to take the time to post so much on a message board are probably not your average run of the mill as far as watching other hockey games go. Or hockey in general.

I just don't see where you can watch that game and come away saying that Skjei was bad. He was out there against one of the top lines in the NHL and looked fine. What are your expectations? Are other teams not supposed to get any chances while our top pair are on the ice? That would be a tall order.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
For those begging for Kakko to be on the top line, relax. It's been one game. You can pretty much expect to see Kakko take shifts on the top line due to in-game moves, game-to-game adjustments, injuries (god forbid), slumps (god forbid), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad