Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/3/19 | jets @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I just don't think it takes years to come together and play solid D. But you are right, that some players will never have what it takes. ADA doesn't strike me as one who will ever end up being a shutdown D-men for example. But if he can reduce the number of glaring mistakes, his other attributes will be more than a welcome addition to this team. Whereas Skjei needs to be very sound defensively, cause that is all he brings.

Based on this specific mix of players and their ages I think it should take another year or two for them to fully crystallize into a top half of the league defense. My thought is very much specific to our group. Most teams I'd agree with what you're saying

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
I mean this morning, I just saw the highlights on nhl.com and Hank looked like hot doodoo, but only because it's pretty much only the goals against they showed.

Then I got here and saw a 91.5 save% on 4 goals against ... and I was like "giaaad daaayum", that's solid.
In person, it looked like a lot more being lucky than good on the big saves. The d left him out to dry, but he had a hard time finding the puck and was leaving a lot of rebounds around. Also the shifts after goals are the most important and he really didnt slam the door on any of those. It's only game 1, but not Henrik's best work.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
They are both centers. Just because they have been paired together for some shifts, does not mean that they should do it as a rule for entire games. However, if Malkin was a wing, yes, I believe he would be stapled to Crosby's line.

Pitt had 1 high-scoring chance at 5x5 yesterday.

Against Buffalo.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
You know Zibanejad had a good year last season. A career best. And I thought good for him.

But so far,... what I have seen of him in preseason and last night, gives me the chills. Can he be this good? On a daily basis? More often than not? He has been very impressive so far. Scary even.

Reactions: Ola

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Skjei had some bad moments but also some good ones. It's kind of tough if you're not a standout D in some areas because everyone overlooks when you consistently do routine stuff well but if you have a glaring mistake or so then everyone remembers that.
He can do better but he wasn't terrible.

Ultimately I think we just shouldn't overreact to one game. It's doubtful that anyone is going to be benched or shuffled around specifically because of this game. I also don't think that a lot of this stuff is "bad coaching" so much as needing to realize this is an entirely new team coming together and trying to learn how to play together, and a lot of these guys are really young and still figuring it at the NHL level.

We've seen DeAngelo play far better than he did last night. I'm not that worried about him, he'll get back into things again. We saw Hajek come in and play cool and collected last season and this preseason. He looked jittery as hell last night. It's opening night with a ton of pressure and nerves, completely different than little pressure games at the end of the season.

Everyone's gonna find some time to calm down and start working on their games and team game. My only "huge" concern is how to get Kakko going. I think he's going to have to start doing the heavy lifting onthat line sooner rather than later.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You know Zibanejad had a good year last season. A career best. And I thought good for him.

But so far,... what I have seen of him in preseason and last night, gives me the chills. Can he be this good? On a daily basis? More often than not? He has been very impressive so far. Scary even.

He was better than Panarin for sure last night. He's always had a bit of a problem remaining consistent or healthy, but yeah he's crazy good when he's on

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
My only "huge" concern is how to get Kakko going. I think he's going to have to start doing the heavy lifting onthat line sooner rather than later.
Give him time. It will come. Unfortunately, like you said, on that line, it will be up to him. Kreids is a garbageman, picks up the garbage in front. So it's up to his linemates to create plays.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
He was better than Panarin for sure last night. He's always had a bit of a problem remaining consistent or healthy, but yeah he's crazy good when he's on
Panarin,... Panarin who? LOL!

I seriously think Zibanejad has turned a corner and will be a monster this year if healthy. That backhand was unstoppable.

Last edited:

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
The top line scored 3 goals last night. I do not think we need to swap Kakko/Buch after that performance.
Production A
Contribution from all three players C veering toward C-
When you are trying to kill the game off and your lw skates to the rw corner to basically strip your right wing and bring the back to the other side of the ice, it's not a good sign.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I thought buch looked beastly the first couple shifts and then lost his flow with the early penalties and then was in a hard competitive game against what is I guess the modern day epitome of a western Canadian hockey team.
Big physical combative hockey.

I think if he gets off early here he’s poised to have a big season.

Reactions: ponzu4u and ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I thought buch looked beastly the first couple shifts and then lost his flow with the early penalties and then was in a hard competitive game against what is I guess the modern day epitome of a western Canadian hockey team.
Big physical combative hockey.

I think if he gets off early here he’s poised to have a big season.
He's playing with arguably two of the best players in the league,... he better have a big season.

Reactions: BleedBlueNYR

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Buch was in a lot of the right spots last night, especially away from the puck. One thing with whoever is on that unit with Zibanejad and Panarin is that they'll need to know when they need to be the 3rd man high.

Buch has learned that in the NHL. Kakko might not be there yet on that side of the puck. In time, he will, but if Buch gets pulled off that line, I'm not sure Kakko goes there. Could see someone like Namestnikov, as he has been a good complimentary player on very skilled lines in Tampa.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Lots of first game jitters last night. My biggest concern was in the defensive zone, again, jittery..More often than not we seemed to lose the physical battles along the end boards. Also, really need to work on that first pass, the first goal against was horrible and highlights everything I just mentioned. Sure Brady's going to take most of the heat for it, but it's a team game and a few guy's didn't seem to know where to go with the puck along the end boards last night. Hank while not a monster, had to deal with a ton of chances created by poor defensive zone decision making...

Last edited:
Reactions: ohbaby

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Regarding, Hank, guess what? He's human. He ain't a machine. When grade A+ chances come at a goalie wave after wave, it's hard to maintain machine-like focus and not get rattled.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
CK-Anderson-KK

Please! Anderson looked good for the .98 seconds he was out there for. Bump him up and lets see what he can do with talent on his wings.

RIP Hajek. Dude needs to learn to avoid the hit while still making a play on the puck. Like poke it away as your stopping and make the first move toward the puck while the forward flies into the boards. It was hard watching him out there against WPG heavy weights. Smooth AF in the O zone though, very tantalizing.

Zbad's go to backhand worked though just barely. Wasn't roofed but got enough lift to glance off Hellinabucket and in. Otherwise he looked locked in and at another level from last year if that's even possible. Can't believe we got him still.

Panarin was as advertised. Poise + Hands +Vision = deadly on zone entries. Sooooo smooth and oozing skill.

Jeremy Trouba had some trouble in the D zone but the Peg are a fast heavy team so that's understandable, especially as Joseph gets more used to his teamates and system.

Lundqvist looked excellent. One softie (first game, we'll write it off) but tons of point blankers and deflections. His focus looked spot on. He was 'late' on some longer shots but that's always his MO, play deep on low % shots from farther out, look through screens and react last second to deflect the puck away, and sometimes he looks scrambly because of it. It's why his rebound control is generally iffy (except the 1-2 months a year he's on fire). The issue arises when he stays deep but the forward ends up shooting from the faceoff dot or lower and the puck is roofed. That distance doesn't give enough reaction time for that style and he gets in trouble at times with it, but he didn't seem to have that issue last night.

Exciting win. Nice to start the season against such a heavy team and come out on top. Was worried how the guys would handle the Islander's style but they hung in there nicely for the most part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola and ohbaby

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
That was supremely encouraging.

And to think, we get to add A/A+ prospects AND rejuvenated Chytil to this lineup for this year & for years to come.

!!!!!!!

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Pitt had 1 high-scoring chance at 5x5 yesterday.

Against Buffalo.
And they blew my 10 game parley I started with last weeks football games, KHL and NHL games. Hit everything but the penguins... :(

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, I don’t mind that he wasn’t named captain. Don’t mess with this.

Heard he had a new g/f. Swedish soccer star Irma Hellin.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
That was fun.

Looking forward to the team’s next game in November. Hopefully they’ll have plenty of time to practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad