3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'd like to see Smith put back on defense and put in McKegg or or Haley over Hajek.
He impressed with those 5 games last year, pretty sure they are going to give him ample opportunity to get acclimated and succeed here. They want to PROVE they won that trade with Tampa. Giving up McD and Miller wasnt easy, but def want some proof they didnt get pirated.
I think he will be fine, just a lot of young stuff and getting used to who you're playing with.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You know Brendan smith wasn’t bad last night. He had a couple of jets offensive starts that he stymied in the center zone.

To be honest, I don't think any of the LDs we have that comes close to playing are "bad". Its just not smart to pay anyone of them a lot of money, because there are so many out there that can handle that role OK.

Reactions: egelband

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I see Tony D played 20 minutes, howd he do?

He was terrible! He looked somewhat better than placing a road cone out there but not as good as putting a road pylon out there.

Seriously he got beat multiple times, turned the puck over constantly and looked lost. His 20 minutes reflects more on how bad the other defensemen were and not about how useful he was. Someone's got to play and the options were very limited.

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not even sure it would take much of an argument, Edge. Who would top him? The Ghost of Lindros?

I think you could make an argument for Lindros when he first came over, and depending on how literal you get with the time frame or where you put the cutoff, maybe even Gretzky.

But I’d say Mika is the best since at least the Messier/Gretzky circa 96 and 97 respectively.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Staal and Tony D both getting beaten around the outside on a 2 on 2 was special

That was a fun game though, and Zibanejad is probably the easiest Ranger to root for since the early days of Ryan Callahan

Reactions: 28BHM and egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Staal and Tony D both getting beaten around the outside on a 2 on 2 was special

That was a fun game though, and Zibanejad is probably the easiest Ranger to root for since the early days of Ryan Callahan

At the same time, how many times didn't Kreider and Zibs make that play last season against the best of the opposing team?

TDA puts his guy in the corner, and its hard for Staal to be glued to his guy in that play without taking a penalty. Its a hard play to execute, you need to have great speed to get past the D enough to pass around him, then when you make the pass it must be really hard to not be poked checked away by Hank, and accurate enough for the shooter to be able to put it on goal.

It was of course not perfectly played, but I don't think it was a major gaff either.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Staal and Tony D. Struggled. There was a ton of taking a Jet dump in on the forecheck and tapping it up off the boards to the side. That isn’t the sin of a cross ice defensive turnover, but quick crashing teams will start destroying that.

I think Tony D is still getting his legs, or at least I really hope so. Otherwise we are going to have problems with that group. They won’t be able to get off the ice and you’ll see a lot of 18-20 minutes of ice time from those two, and not because they play great.
Very good point. The Rangers do a lot of poking the puck away from onrushing opponents. They're on the backfoot a lot. But I think they just have a lot of work to do. They're not only young but also not well-acquainted with each other. I think its just a matter of time. But I agree, they need to turn the tide much better.

Reactions: eco's bones

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
You know Brendan smith wasn’t bad last night. He had a couple of jets offensive starts that he stymied in the center zone.
He has quite good institute in the neutral zone. And very good strong wheels and hips. He can and will push through opponents. Which is not very common. So in that regard he's an above average player and a good example for younger guys.
Good weaknesses, like being flaky in coverage and taking bad penalties are legit problems. But he does done things very well. He's also willing to stick up for teammates.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
highlights of a very fun first game.

chad falls in intros. epic. then hardly plays at all. bummer.

my boy ADA looked like he was having seizures all night. some bad passes and not being able to turn his hips and handle the wide speed. i will say the peg has some big fast forwards but come on tony. step it up.

having said that, playing with staal is a chore. defensively hes so slow and so easily jumped along the boards. that pair struggled all night getting pucks to the forwards. they were pinned and turned it over frequently. ADA was having to play odd man rushes alot due to staals flat foot sloth style of defending. thats a tall order every night. marc staal is a slow man and not much use when he needs to move his feet against faster forwards.

top line was first class all night. buchy seemed nervous.

i liked the bottom 6 alot. active and good down low forecheck pressure. gave good minutes all night.

fox was so-so. Hajek was a train wreck but to be expected. jake was money. all night.

kreider looked off. strome not good. kakko some moments.

henrik lundqvist was both brilliant and brutal at the same time. wrist shots cant beat you like that. he made the amazing save and then let in a softy and whats up with the goals right after we score ?

too many shots against but thats a tough team to handle up front fast big and they come at your hard.

as advertised, our slightly better defense and goalie withstood their better top 6 and much worse defense.

pionk wasnt terrible.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Defense wasn't very good last night but they really need time to sort things out. Too many are over analyzing what happened after one game. The Jets are big and fast and were 7th in league in scoring last year. They create problems for a lot of teams, not just us. I actually would have been surprised if the defense played well tbh. We have TDA who came back to camp 2 weeks ago and looked rusty, Hajek who played all of 5 games last year, a rookie in Fox, Trouba who was good but is still new to system. I'm going to reserve judgement on this group until 15-20 games in when we get a better sense of what is working and not working. To be making definitive statements after one game is just silly.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Jets will likely have many games where they score 5 a game...they are flat out offense all the way . I think we did OK for so many new faces...going to take some time for things to all gel . I love the way our D handles the puck in the O zone versus Staal-MacDonagh-Girardi years ....quite the difference and with more skilled guys up front for them to pass off the puck....we will likely closely resemble the Peg in many ways moving forward . That's not a bad thing once we add Miller and maybe another young D along the way .

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Jets will likely have many games where they score 5 a game...they are flat out offense all the way . I think we did OK for so many new faces...going to take some time for things to all gel . I love the way our D handles the puck in the O zone versus Staal-MacDonagh-Girardi years ....quite the difference and with more skilled guys up front for them to pass off the puck....we will likely closely resemble the Peg in many ways moving forward . That's not a bad thing once we add Miller and maybe another young D along the way .

Our D is going to be stacked with young and talented guys in a few years.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Important first win! Ottawa next. Would be huge to start 2 for 2. But they won't be a pushover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad