Post-Game Talk: #1 - 10/3/19 | jets @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
For those begging for Kakko to be on the top line, relax. It's been one game. You can pretty much expect to see Kakko take shifts on the top line due to in-game moves, game-to-game adjustments, injuries (god forbid), slumps (god forbid), etc.
Also, he’s 18 and not many 18 year olds get top whatever duties regardless of who they are

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
There is no grooming. For Kakko to take Buch's spot, Buch has to perform poorly and Kakko has to perform better. If that happens, he will jump. If he does not earn it, he will not.

I'm fine with earning it but at the same time, I think the team would benefit greatly from flipping Kakko and Buchnevich. I think anyone you put with Panarin and Zibanejad would thrive. And right now, that 2nd line feels like a mish mash of guys with no chemistry. Buchnevich has proven to play well with Kreider so putting those two together could make a formidable 2nd line. It's still way too early and that line hasn't had much time to play together anyway but it's something I'd definitely investigate because I really didn't like too much from what I saw with line 2.

Reactions: jas and ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Buchnevich has proven to play well with Kreider so putting those two together could make a formidable 2nd line. It's still way too early and that line hasn't had much time to play together anyway but it's something I'd definitely investigate because I really didn't like too much from what I saw with line 2.
I agree Buch and Kreids play well together, but whatever they choose, they need to give them ample time to gel. I wouldn't mind seeing Kreids, Ziba, Buch back together again either. Leaving Panarin with Kakko. But whatever they do,... they must be patient before busting up line combos.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Henrik looked like hot garbage last nigjt

His performance seems to be pretty polarizing.

Some people really liked it; others thought there was a lot to be desired. Personally, I'm in the latter category, but it's probably the most interesting post-game topic we've had.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
He did some heavy lifting by virtue of being put in that position,....
My point exactly. He was forced to play top minutes, and showed promise regardless. I'll bet WPG will be happy with him.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Getting Buchnevich going is more important than just handing Kakko first line minutes because he is destined for them. He is going to be a first line player for a long time. I would rather try to get Buchnevich some confidence and maybe up trade value if nothing else.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Trouba: Beast.
Zibs: Beast.

No doubt this year will have some rough moments. Those "retaliatory" goals the sign of a young team. But man, the potential is just crazy. In one of the MSG shorts Quinn mentions how he's had older BC teams than this Rangers team. His vets are 25 year olds now.

The D pairings definitely appear to need shaking up. Hajek can't take that many big hits in a single game. Hopefully it was just opening night jitters causing him to overthink and be a step slow, but yikes...

Really looking forward to watching this team this year. So much young talent and potential at so many levels, and a coaching staff and organization that I truly trust and continues to say all the right things as far as I'm concerned.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just don't see where you can watch that game and come away saying that Skjei was bad. He was out there against one of the top lines in the NHL and looked fine. What are your expectations? Are other teams not supposed to get any chances while our top pair are on the ice? That would be a tall order.
Being out against top players is not an excuse for looking out of position. What are my expectations, better play.

It is not, no chances = good, many chances = bad. But play starts with being sound positionaly.

You can like his game, that is fine. I thought he was poor.

Reactions: ohbaby

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree Buch and Kreids play well together, but whatever they choose, they need to give them ample time to gel. I wouldn't mind seeing Kreids, Ziba, Buch back together again either. Leaving Panarin with Kakko. But whatever they do,... they must be patient before busting up line combos.
Unless they completely bomb out, there is no way that Panarin is not riding shotgun to ZBad.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
For me, I'm one of the people who would like to see Kakko on the first line. This isn't just because I want him to play with Panarin and Zib, it's also because I feel like Buch would fit in better on the second line.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I mean this morning, I just saw the highlights on nhl.com and Hank looked like hot doodoo, but only because it's pretty much only the goals against they showed.

Then I got here and saw a 91.5 save% on 4 goals against ... and I was like "giaaad daaayum", that's solid.

Reactions: UnSandvich and Loff

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
For me, I'm one of the people who would like to see Kakko on the first line. This isn't just because I want him to play with Panarin and Zib, it's also because I feel like Buch would fit in better on the second line.

I'm definitely on board with this.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Getting Buchnevich going is more important than just handing Kakko first line minutes because he is destined for them. He is going to be a first line player for a long time. I would rather try to get Buchnevich some confidence and maybe up trade value if nothing else.

Buchnevich was fine yesterday. I don't know if it was possible to see from the game on TV but from the stadium, he was involved and always being in the right spot. It just in this particular game he was fighting a puck which is not a norm for him.

Overall, I'd like to suggest not to start taking lines apart after one game. A lot of new faces and line combinations that will need at least some time to gel. Personally I feel the team and Kakko will be better served if Panarin and Kreider switched lines but I will hold off on this "agenda" until I get to see at least a month-worth of games in the current state.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't be too sure. You hardly ever see Malkin and Crybaby playing on the same line.
They are both centers. Just because they have been paired together for some shifts, does not mean that they should do it as a rule for entire games. However, if Malkin was a wing, yes, I believe he would be stapled to Crosby's line.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad