Zucker calls out Wild, Boudreau after latest embarrassing loss

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I read his frustration as not having a solid team around him when it seems Minnesota is trying to rebuild

Maybe I misinterpreted
I don't think that's what it is. Minnesota's objective going into the season was to make the playoffs and go from there. Obviously with the start they've had the new GM has to be seriously questioning that, but the players themselves aren't going to think that way. They're trying to win and know that they've sucked. Zucker (and Koivu and Dumba in their comments) were just admitting the obvious.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
David Perron said almost exactly this and was traded out of Edmonton 3 days later. Albeit it was close to the deadline anyway.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i'm not super worried about it. I can't see Bruce giving much of a shit what Zucker says IF you roll with the worst possible translation of the hidden meaning and if you take the most benign meaning I'd hope he agrees with him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think it's optimistic to think all 3 of Kaprizov, Boldy, and the 2020 1st hit and become stars. Realistically one of them likely busts. That's nothing personal, those are just the percentages.

I think the Wild should identify which players are going to still be on their game in 2-3 years when you project Boldy, the 2020 1st, and the rest of the kids to be ready. Everyone else they should try to get value for while they can.

If we’re going by percentages then we should’ve used up all our busts already.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
What's Zucker's point?

- The coach didn't trade Granlund for Fiala
- The coach didn't trade Forsberg for Erat, err sorry I mean Niederreiter for Rask
- The coach didn't give a massive contract to a 32-year old 55-point player

The team is what it is. It's the GMs who desperately try to build a contender when the team needs a rebuild/retool. The window was open roughly between 2012 and 2018. Now it has closed, it's the cycle of the salary cap NHL, Or what exactly was he expecting from the 2019/20 Wild??

Reactions: 1989 and Mbraunm

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
You would think the one who would be mad on the Wild would be Zuccarello because he signed long term with them with a NMC.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Minnesota has been frustrating for a long time now, they need to change their approach dramatically.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What's Zucker's point?

- The coach didn't trade Granlund for Fiala
- The coach didn't trade Forsberg for Erat, err sorry I mean Niederreiter for Rask
- The coach didn't give a massive contract to a 32-year old 55-point player

The team is what it is. It's the GMs who desperately try to build a contender when the team needs a rebuild/retool. The window was open roughly between 2012 and 2018. Now it has closed, it's the cycle of the salary cap NHL, Or what exactly was he expecting from the 2019/20 Wild??
His point is that they need to play better? It's not all that cryptic.

Somewhat hilariously, Russo was on Carly's podcast/radio segment this afternoon and the two of them touch on the comment. Even Russo didn't think he was singling out the coach or that there was any subtext to it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
His point is that they need to play better? It's not all that cryptic.

Somewhat hilariously, Russo was on Carly's podcast/radio segment this afternoon and the two of them touch on the comment. Even Russo didn't think he was singling out the coach or that there was any subtext to it.

Russo was surprised it blew up on social media, as was Zucker...

Russo said in that podcast that Zucker went to Bruce and apologized on the plane, and Bruce thought nothing of it. They all claim it's a quote taken out of context and that Zucker just meant "Everyone needs to be better from the top down" to which Bruce agrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrisinroch

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Russo was surprised it blew up on social media, as was Zucker...

Russo said in that podcast that Zucker went to Bruce and apologized on the plan, and Bruce thought nothing of it. They all claim it's a quote taken out of context and that Zucker just meant "Everyone needs to be better from the top down".
I don't envy players in that situation: just played 60 minutes of awful hockey and you're being asked questions without palatable answers, and anything you say is going to be picked apart on Twitter. Fans whine about non-answers, but there's a good reason for them.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I was season ticket holder first 5 seasons and been with them all the way...this is easily the worst start to a season I can recall. And the roster isn't horid. If BB doesn't turn them around, I think he's gone. 20-25 games is the leash, imo.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
I was season ticket holder first 5 seasons and been with them all the way...this is easily the worst start to a season I can recall. And the roster isn't horid. If BB doesn't turn them around, I think he's gone. 20-25 games is the leash, imo.

early crappy teams were usually budget with no real expectation to go far. Fans and players then wouldn't let the frustration taint the game to such a degree. Now, with this roster, we should be a playoff team. It's all mental. Fenton didn't read the room correctly with his attempt at snapping them out of it (declared trading one of the most popular guys on the team a wake-up call backfired). Billy G probably has pressure already to "do something"--don't envy him the job, and i'd like him to have more time to read things.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Hard to single anyone out as the teams been a dumpster fire but you’d expect him to be doing much more before calling out his team like this

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Zucker's doing as much as anyone. You shove a microphone in his face and this is the answer you're going to get. He's not singling anyone out.

you have to sort of see their point when coaches are hardly ever mentioned as being a problem by players. The...Effort, if you will, of directly name dropping the coach in his indictment of the entire team is certainly noteworthy, though it may not hold as much meaning or focus as some people are inclined to assign it.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I don’t believe Zuckers intentions were to throw Coach B under the bus. His comments while true weren’t exactly well thought out. You just don’t use the media to attempt and solve a problem in a room or send a message.

When a team is in a tailspin the last thing needed is added media attention. Poor move on his part. Should have had a players only meeting and if he truly believes he can’t get that message across to the room in private he needs to request a trade

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
you have to sort of see their point when coaches are hardly ever mentioned as being a problem by players. The...Effort, if you will, of directly name dropping the coach in his indictment of the entire team is certainly noteworthy, though it may not hold as much meaning or focus as some people are inclined to assign it.
Yeah, it's whatever the opposite of lying by omission is. Truth by inclusion? Boudreau isn't blameless and he could be better, but he's not really at the center of it. The fingers don't point in a single direction.

Here be monsters.

Reactions: TaLoN and rynryn

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
I don’t believe Zuckers intentions were to throw Coach B under the bus. His comments while true weren’t exactly well thought out. You just don’t use the media to attempt and solve a problem in a room or send a message.

When a team is in a tailspin the last thing needed is added media attention. Poor move on his part. Should have had a players only meeting and if he truly believes he can’t get that message across to the room in private he needs to request a trade

Playing devil advocate maybe Zucker felt he had to being traded does not work for him due to family situation and if he feels BB is really what is wrong with the team and maybe has said it privately already with no results what choice does he have???

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
What else can you do, though?

A part of me hopes Gabby gets fired, since I think he could do more with my team.
But what does it solve in with the Wild.

I think you should shoot for Alexis or Quinton myself.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Playing devil advocate maybe Zucker felt he had to being traded does not work for him due to family situation and if he feels BB is really what is wrong with the team and maybe has said it privately already with no results what choice does he have???

If that’s the case that’s even worse as his actions could fracture the room. I don’t know, it’s all speculation and guesses. I just don’t personally like it when someone throws their team aka teammates under the bus.

I’m sure he’s not the only one frustrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad