Zuccarello sounds off on the Rangers handling of Lundqvist and Himself

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think it should be whom.

yUeJOv.gif

Reactions: Inferno

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
Can I make a grammatical correction to the thread title? It should be Him, not Himself. Thank you.

I just studied grammar this afternoon! My textbook says it's actually supposed to read
Zuccarello sounds off on the Rangers handling of Lundqvist and Brian Leetch (not "him")

:sarcasm:

Reactions: will1066

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Sorry Zucc, I love you, but this is a cap league. This ain't checkers, it's chess, and when the big man sacrifices a piece, it's for the greater good.

Reactions: eco's bones

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If Hank played as many games as Georgiev, I’m not convinced his stats wouldn’t have been right on par, honestly. We all know Hank needs consistent work and is used to playing a lot of games. I think if he chooses to stay in the NHL and sign a 1-2 year deal elsewhere he’ll still put up decent numbers, obviously not like his prime, but Hank not being god anymore and Hank not being an NHL goalie anymore are not the same thing. If Hank’s contract was up after this year and we could re-sign Hank for 1-2 years at 2M and trade Georgiev for an asset, does anyone really feel like Hank couldn’t be a backup/1B for Shesterkin?
Based on what you said there (and I agree) I would have to say no.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
these players make more money in a year than most people will make in a lifetime and they get it to play hockey. cry me a river when you're no longer good enough or young enough to help a team win.
Feel this way as well. With everything going on in this world "to boot", keep your love fest for a very dear friend in Hank as "private". We all KNOW that you were the best of friends, but this really comes off as "whining". I dont love Zuccha any less, but I cannot endorse this. Really bad timing to say the least.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That’s great and all, but 82% of the Wild’s fanbase would prefer to pay Parise 7.5M for another 6 years until he’s 40, instead of pay Zucc 6M for another 5 years until he’s 36.

That’s all on Zucc.
If that is indeed true, then I believe that is ALL based on "Wild loyalty" with a longtime Wild player. Not looking so much in the age factor.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On the Wild board a poll between Parise and Zuccarello who to buy out in a compliance buy out. Parise--9 Zuccarello-43. He held out for a big contract but he doesn't like where he is and he didn't have a particularly good year either. 37 points in 65 games and mostly a non-factor on the power play. He got the money he wanted but he's not a happy player and as we saw for ourselves in 18-19 an unhappy Zuccarello is not nearly as effective a player. I know a lot of people are like 'don't leave money on the table' and some personalities are very okay for that but some aren't. Mats wants to be in New York but there's another part of that issue--Mats and I think Henrik as well never really have bought into the letter and the promise of rebuilding the team made to the fans and that is another reason that Mats had to go. Mats sulked and Henrik is obviously not pleased either at how things have turned out.

Best case scenario for the Rangers is Henrik retires. He's going to the Hall of Fame and he can have a job with the organization if and whenever he feels like. There is no question he is the best goaltender that I've seen in a Rangers uniform which includes Giacomin and Richter. I would go with Leetch as best Ranger ever but Henrik would come in right behind him. He has been a great player and the face of the franchise for well over a decade but he's also declining and his replacements in goal are here already and they are better now than he is. I can understand if he wants that last year but the most graceful and the classiest way out for him right now is retirement.

Reactions: Inferno

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to the Wild coaching staff not like/using Zucc well but I'm also not ready to let that completely absolve him of everything

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to the Wild coaching staff not like/using Zucc well but I'm also not ready to let that completely absolve him of everything

At some point, it seems like Zucc needs to accept a little responsibility, see that he has played a part in his current situation and be accountable.

Reactions: eco's bones

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I should correct a lot of nonsense being said here. Zuccarello loves Minnesota, and he doing just fine with the Wild. I don't think he wants to come back to the Rangers, all bridges burnt there.

A very experienced player is coming in, and Bruce Boudreau didn't look into his background, skillset and so on. He basically knew nothing about Zuccarello at the start of the season, and didn't use him the way he should. Boudreau didn't do his job, and that's why he got fired.

You shouldn't pay much attention to this poll you're talking about. Of course Wild fans would prefer to keep Parise who's been there for a long time.

Zuccarello has been banged up this season as well, and of course it affected his game. So this break is actually good for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I should correct a lot of nonsense being said here. Zuccarello loves Minnesota, and he doing just fine with the Wild. I don't think he wants to come back to the Rangers, all bridges burnt there.

A very experienced player is coming in, and Bruce Boudreau didn't look into his background, skillset and so on. He basically knew nothing about Zuccarello at the start of the season, and didn't use him the way he should. Boudreau didn't do his job, and that's why he got fired.

You shouldn't pay much attention to this poll you're talking about. Of course Wild fans would prefer to keep Parise who's been there for a long time.

Zuccarello has been banged up this season as well, and of course it affected his game. So this break is actually good for him.
I'll agree with you on the second and third parts. But I disagree with 'Boudreau didn't do his job'. Boudreau, like many coaches, may have gotten tuned out. Even the best coaches go stale. But whatever his failings, he's universally well-respected and most certainly has a different opinion on what happened. To blame Minnesota's flop solely on Boudreau is...no.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It is a shame Dubinsky sucked that 2012 season. He had been progressively getting so much better every season up until that point and then not only hit a giant wall, he had the worst season of his career when we were all penciling him in for a 60 point Selke esque season.

He pretty much made himself expendable and forced his way out of town for Nash. Classic Ranger fashion for that trade to be the best thing that ever happened to Columbus and that was the start of their turnaround from league doormat to one of the toughest teams to play against and a perennial playoff contender.
You have made a lot of good points in this thread but I just dont understand this one. What is “classic” about it? The Rangers sent out Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, and a 1st round pick. Those initial years CBJ had those 3 were nothing really to write home about. Anisimov eventually was moved. Erixon became nothing. Meanwhile the Rangers went to the SCF in ‘14 and the ECF (shouldve been back to back SCF appearances) in ‘15. In the process they made up for the “haul” they gave up for Nash when they traded Gaborik for Brassard and Moore. Only problem is they lost to Gaborik and the Kings in ‘14. Nash doesnt get those concussions and he likely has at least 2-3 more premium seasons thrown in.

But I digress

Zucc really needs to pipe down over there. He and Hank have not been slighted one bit. I really dont know what he expected. He has done well for himself as an undrafted kid from Norway. He has made millions playing hockey and he got to do it in NYC in MSG playing for competitive teams. And now he is in another great hockey city. Were they supposed to keep every one with a salary cap? Gimme a break. Unless there is something we dont know behind closed doors or that he was willing to provide some massive discount to stay and the Rangers werent interested (DOUBT IT) then move on already. Or come back after the Minny contract is over on the cheap and finish your career here on the 3rd/4th line.

One edit to the above...if anything it is Hank who has been slighted. He is the franchise goalie that pulled this organization out of the depths of hell 13-14 years ago. He is the one that carried so many underwhelming teams into the playoffs and further. So many teams that were offensively either inept OR was a 1 line team that had no business going anywhere. He is the one that in the last 5 seasons since 2015 has had woefully bad defensive systems AND defensemen in front of him. 2 competent defenseman (and thats being generous) in each of the last 2-3 seasons before this current one is a damn joke. And now he is dealt the blow of being pushed out the door for Igor (who does deserve to take the reigns) and Georgie (who should have been sold when his value was at an all time high and still should be sold off). Hank’s play has slipped but let him stay and finish his final year in NY as the backup to Igor. Deal Georgiev.

If there is a compliance buyout, use it on Staal. If there isnt one, still buyout Staal.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'll agree with you on the second and third parts. But I disagree with 'Boudreau didn't do his job'. Boudreau, like many coaches, may have gotten tuned out. Even the best coaches go stale. But whatever his failings, he's universally well-respected and most certainly has a different opinion on what happened. To blame Minnesota's flop solely on Boudreau is...no.

Minnesota has been the epitomy of mediocrity for 2 decades now. Never good enough to compete, never bad enough to draft high.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
You have made a lot of good points in this thread but I just dont understand this one. What is “classic” about it? The Rangers sent out Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, and a 1st round pick. Those initial years CBJ had those 3 were nothing really to write home about. Anisimov eventually was moved. Erixon became nothing. Meanwhile the Rangers went to the SCF in ‘14 and the ECF (shouldve been back to back SCF appearances) in ‘15. In the process they made up for the “haul” they gave up for Nash when they traded Gaborik for Brassard and Moore. Only problem is they lost to Gaborik and the Kings in ‘14. Nash doesnt get those concussions and he likely has at least 2-3 more premium seasons thrown in.

Classic Rangers in that we traded away Gaborik and he came back to burn us a year later in the Cup final. Traded away Callahan and lost to him on home ice in Game 7 of the ECF a year later. Traded away Hagelin and HBK shredded us a year later in the playoffs. Traded away Brassard and a year later he scored that goal where he batted the puck out of mid air to tie Game 5 with a minute left which was the turning point of that series.

So yeah classic Rangers, in that every move they make comes back to bite them in the most hilarious of ways

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Based on what you said there (and I agree) I would have to say no.

How is Henrik going to get the consistent work you say he needs being Shesterkin's backup? If the Rangers want to move Georgiev that's fine but they need to get the right value back for him if they do and I'm sorry but a 2nd rounder isn't going to be enough. Not by much he's even younger than Shesterkin and he's shown an ability to absolutely steal games. His issue really is consistency for long stretches but if he busts through that he's a legit NHL starting goaltender. So dumping him cheap would be dumb.

As for Henrik I agree he's still a very capable NHL goaltender. He has declined though and at least for me there are still buts to resigning him. I don't think he's ever really bought wholly into the new direction the team is on. I think there's disappointment on his part that he's not playing 55/60 games a year and I think a part of him resents that. We can say that's part of his competitive nature but there's a point where you have to know your place in the scheme of things. Another but is his age. What do we need a 40 year old goalie for?---at what point do we close the door on his career? Teams aren't all about one player--Henrik's career is winding down and the Rangers have gone younger and that's a direction they had to take. Why make exceptions to that rule?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Classic Rangers in that we traded away Gaborik and he came back to burn us a year later in the Cup final. Traded away Callahan and lost to him on home ice in Game 7 of the ECF a year later. Traded away Hagelin and HBK shredded us a year later in the playoffs. Traded away Brassard and a year later he scored that goal where he batted the puck out of mid air to tie Game 5 with a minute left which was the turning point of that series.

So yeah classic Rangers, in that every move they make comes back to bite them in the most hilarious of ways

2013: Rozsival
2014: Gaborik
2015: Richards, Carcillo
2016: Hagelin
2017: Hagelin

It's painful

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Zucc was a good player and a lot of fun to root for but let’s be honest. He has to be one of the most wildly overrated players in Rangers history. I had a friend calling me after he was dealt telling me that his name should go up in the rafters. He was a really nice top 6 forward... great in shootouts... no more, no less.

I think this interview shows a lack of maturity. You made a lot of money here, played on some really good teams, and were beloved by the fan base. His career here led him to a great contract in Minnesota. The guy should be grateful. That added to what’s going in the world right now doesn’t play very well in my opinion. He’s not exactly a guy at the top of my list for sympathy.

I’m happy to see that Hank has been a lot more professional despite his obvious frustration.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Zucc was a good player and a lot of fun to root for but let’s be honest. He has to be one of the most wildly overrated players in Rangers history. I had a friend calling me after he was dealt telling me that his name should go up in the rafters. He was a really nice top 6 forward... great in shootouts... no more, no less.

I think this interview shows a lack of maturity. You made a lot of money here, played on some really good teams, and were beloved by the fan base. His career here led him to a great contract in Minnesota. The guy should be grateful. That added to what’s going in the world right now doesn’t play very well in my opinion. He’s not exactly a guy at the top of my list for sympathy.

I’m happy to see that Hank has been a lot more professional despite his obvious frustration.
Yeah. That's pretty much it. It's serious First World Problems.

Reactions: Barnaby
Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Agreed.

He was a nice player. And a great find. But the lore that surrounds his tenure is a tad overinflated.

His best season was 2015-16 when he went 26+35 = 61. And that is more or less the same as what Ryan Strome has done this season. And there are some who are ready to jettison him without a second thought.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Agreed.

He was a nice player. And a great find. But the lore that surrounds his tenure is a tad overinflated.

His best season was 2015-16 when he went 26+35 = 61. And that is more or less the same as what Ryan Strome has done this season. And there are some who are ready to jettison him without a second thought.

To hit this home:

Zuccarello signing for 4.5m in 2015: Hometown discount. What a teamplayer.
Strome's suggested 5.3m cap hit next season in some discussions: Overpaid. Not worth it! Trade him!

Those amounts are the exact same cap hit percentages haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad