Injury Report: Zuccarello out with upper body injury UPGRADED: Day to Day (Not Cleared for Contact)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
the loss of Zucc is so beyond devastating to this team. its obvious how much this team needs him...it helps balance out the lineup so much.

Definitely does. It's not just about his individual play and its impact. As you said, it has such an impact on the rest of the lines and their chemistry. Some say "if that one player is the difference between winning and losing blah blah" but it's more than that. It's losing one of your top 6 + having all lines rearranged + loss of chemistry + loss of player's intangibles such as his passion and presence; which in his case is significant since he probably would be chosen as the most prominent personality and character in the locker room etc.

And nowadays in the playoffs the margin between winning and losing is so tight that anything of significance that makes a difference can end up being the difference between winning or losing. I'm not saying it is the case here; just that it's ignorant to ignore the possibility or berate the team if it turned out to be.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The loss of a top line winger has train wrecked the lines.

Last night we had a defensive forward (Fast) on the 2nd line, our best defensive C trying to play offense on the 3rd line (moore), a center who isn't a center on the 4th (Sheppard) along with 2 wingers who aren't good defensively.

It's a complete ****show.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
It’s looking like the Blueshirts received a knockout blow when McDonagh accidentally shot the puck into Zuccarello’s face in their series-clinching Game 5 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins. They haven’t been the same team since.

It sucks, but it's true. It's like it sucked the life out. I know Brass mentioned how much more quiet the locker room is. Atmosphere can matter so much. Not to say the leaders on the team haven't spoken up or that they haven't had confidence in the locker room or whatever, just that the whole spirit of the locker room is likely changed, and the players feel that, and miss that and likely feel a void. And unfortunately, voids always carry with them a sense of ominousness. Levity in the locker room cannot be overstated.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It sucks, but it's true. It's like it sucked the life out. I know Brass mentioned how much more quiet the locker room is. Atmosphere can matter so much. Not to say the leaders on the team haven't spoken up or that they haven't had confidence in the locker room or whatever, just that the whole spirit of the locker room is likely changed, and the players feel that, and miss that and likely feel a void. And unfortunately, voids always carry with them a sense of ominousness. Levity in the locker room cannot be overstated.

They weren't scoring goals in that series either.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
True, but we still looked completely different. Fleury had to stand on his head far more often than Holtby and faced much higher quality shots imo.

Not sure I agree. Considering the Caps are taking away the exact type of game Zuccarello likes to play, I can't subscribe to the thinking his absence is the sole reason this is happening.

Wolfy*

Not sure I agree. Considering the Caps are taking away the exact type of game Zuccarello likes to play, I can't subscribe to the thinking his absence is the sole reason this is happening.

You should blame our coaching staff for building our game around one particular player, and when he's out the team falls apart. Because that's exactly what's happening, whether you like it or not.

Something else interesting, it also shows that Zucc is the true captain or leader of this team..

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You should blame our coaching staff for building our game around one particular player, and when he's out the team falls apart. Because that's exactly what's happening, whether you like it or not.

Something else interesting, it also shows that Zucc is the true captain or leader of this team..

Yea, no. Thats not what's happening. Like, at all.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010

C'mon VB that's just a tad over the top. No reasonable person would look at this team and say it is built around Zucc. That doesn't mean there isn't a significant impact felt from his loss. But c'mon, the true captain? Way over the top. He's the main personality. And that does matter. Like the Jester in the King's court. And for whatever reason his loss is having more of an impact on the team than it really should. Almost as if the team doesn't feel whole. But no, not for a second is it because the team was 'built around him'.

And the article isn't claiming he's the sole reason. Just a potentially big enough reason to write about.

I definitely think the whole atmosphere feels a bit different to the team without him, but there are an unending amount of things that are contributing factors to where we find ourselves right now. He's simply one. But not the only one.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010

Not sure where this whole 'sole reason' premise is coming from.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Can't really argue this. Doubt McD loses it, but Zooks is the guy.

I love Zucc... But not in a million years is he the Captain. In fact, I'd bet my bottom dollar that he will laugh his ass off upon reading the suggestion.

He's the comic relief in the locker room, not the one everyone quiets down for to listen to. Two completely different sets of character traits between the two concepts.

Being the Captain embodies much more than just the passion in your play.

Wolfy*

Can't really argue this. Doubt McD loses it, but Zooks is the guy.

Yeah no question about that.

They wont remove the C from McD, poor guy wouldn't have any self-confidence left. But maybe he's man enough to hand it over..

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Guys, please.... the Rangers should be (and is) a team that has more than one leg to stand on. The problem is that nobody else on the team has stepped up, which is what you need any time a top 6 player gets injured (the rest have to pick up the slack while the replacement gets "comfortable").

Instead of doing that, seemingly everything that could go wrong.. well.. does. Not a single puck bounces the Rangers way, personal "rookie" mistakes leads to goals against, and so on. All of these things are fixable, but they damn better fix it now, because there will be no more chances unless they win 3 in a row.

Its all a matter of how much the players want it, thats what it comes down to. And we are about to find that out.

And please stop with the "Zucc for Captain".. i dont know Zucc personally, but he has never struck me as captain material. He is a bundle of energy, a very positive force, leads by example with passion and determination, etc.. but he is much more of a "clown" or "joker" than he is the guy who sits you down to have a very serious chat.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Guys, please.... the Rangers should be (and is) a team that has more than one leg to stand on. The problem is that nobody else on the team has stepped up, which is what you need any time a top 6 player gets injured (the rest have to pick up the slack while the replacement gets "comfortable").

Instead of doing that, seemingly everything that could go wrong.. well.. does. Not a single puck bounces the Rangers way, personal "rookie" mistakes leads to goals against, and so on. All of these things are fixable, but they damn better fix it now, because there will be no more chances unless they win 3 in a row.

Its all a matter of how much the players want it, thats what it comes down to. And we are about to find that out.

And please stop with the "Zucc for Captain".. i dont know Zucc personally, but he has never struck me as captain material. He is a bundle of energy, a very positive force, leads by example with passion and determination, etc.. but he is much more of a "clown" or "joker" than he is the guy who sits you down to have a very serious chat.

For the most part I agree with your assessment, and much of it even echoes what I had just written, but I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment that "nobody else... has stepped up". I think several have tried to, though they haven't gotten the results for their efforts. And though unfortunately he has a kinda fixed low ceiling, Glass has even put his everything into trying to make a difference. I actually would love to see him get rewarded for it, because I truly feel he's earned it. But several have tried to step up, it's just easy to overlook because the results haven't been there. I just don't think it's fair to say 'nobody'.

Wolfy*

I'm not sure who the clown is around here.

But you're right about one thing...you don't know him at all.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
For the most part I agree with your assessment, and much of it even echoes what I had just written, but I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment that "nobody else... has stepped up". I think several have tried to, though they haven't gotten the results for their efforts. And though unfortunately he has a kinda fixed low ceiling, Glass has even put his everything into trying to make a difference. I actually would love to see him get rewarded for it, because I truly feel he's earned it. But several have tried to step up, it's just easy to overlook because the results haven't been there. I just don't think it's fair to say 'nobody'.
I meant primarily from the top 6 :) (Marty has showed glimpses, as have others, but they remain just that, glimpses). Of the bottom 6, i have very few complaints, they are doing their job, and you are right, Glass is working hard (and is probably playing better hockey than he ever has, at least for the Rangers).

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Zucc is the straw stirring the drink but we'd be fine if just a FEW players would actually step up and play. If we had Nash circa 1st half of the season, we'd have this series easy. We wouldn't need a Zucc stirring the proverbial drink because Nash would be the ****ing blade blending the milk shake. Brassard has played well but he has been playing playoff BRASSGOD mode. MSL? thanks for showing up you schlep! Overall, I'm happy with the defense. I've always maintained that if the Rangers can score 3 goals in any game, they should win because our team's defense is pretty darn good at holding the opposition to 2 or less goals and we have done that all series. All playoffs sans our one loss to Pittsburgh. That's a pretty sexy stat (with not much to show for it).

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
I'm not sure who the clown is around here.

But you're right about one thing...you don't know him at all.

Are you just messing around and laughing your butt off over there or are you actually meaning this stuff? I don't get it... just seems out of character for you to be this over the top man...

I love Zucc, even moreso now. But what about his personality and all the anecdotes we've heard from the team and practices leads you to believe he'd excel at that role? And more importantly, even want that role? I'm telling ya man, Zucc is following this thread, and he's laughing a bit at the thought of him being Captain. I guarantee he wants no part of it. It's just not his thing. Trust me here man, seriously trust me here; you're not on the right track with this one...

And ps: How do you know I don't know him, or that some other posters don't? I mean after all, we're all anonymous ;)

Wolfy*

There are many who think he'd do a great job as a captain, and the players would definitely support it. Gross also mentioned him as a candidate before McD was chosen.

But more important...our game seems to work pretty well with Zucc in the lineup, right now our offense is nothing but broken.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Are you just messing around and laughing your butt off over there or are you actually meaning this stuff? I don't get it... just seems out of character for you to be this over the top man...

I love Zucc, even moreso now. But what about his personality and all the anecdotes we've heard from the team and practices leads you to believe he'd excel at that role? And more importantly, even want that role? I'm telling ya man, Zucc is following this thread, and he's laughing a bit at the thought of him being Captain. I guarantee he wants no part of it. It's just not his thing. Trust me here man, seriously trust me here; you're not on the right track with this one...

And ps: How do you know I don't know him, or that some other posters don't? I mean after all, we're all anonymous ;)

The fact that his teammates wanted to win the game for him speaks volumes.

And you can't guarantee crap about what he wants no part of. Stop it.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
The fact that his teammates wanted to win the game for him speaks volumes.

And you can't guarantee crap about what he wants no part of. Stop it.

Sure I can. Because, well, this thing called logic.

And what volume does it speak? That he's well loved by all of his teammates? That he's the biggest personality in the room, keeps everyone light, and plays with passion they respect? Yeah, all big friggin Duh's man. But again, what about anything you've ever heard about him, his personality, his relationship with the team, his personality traits, makes the argument that he would want to be captain or would excel at it? Make your case, as opposed to an argument of just "cause I really like him".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad