Injury Report: Zuccarello out indefinitely with upper body injury, per NYR (Mod Warning Post #280)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Ehhh, I can see Zucc just being generic with him. But whether he was being generic or specific I'm still hoping this is in fact all that's wrong, though I'm not convinced yet it is.

Regardless though, why would the managing director make that direct statement yet anyway when the team has yet to have released it? Is that appropriate?

Perhaps something has been lost in translation. We need a legit Norwegian lad to give a better translation.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Ehhh, I can see Zucc just being generic with him. I also can see the director being generic with the media. But whether he was being generic or specific I'm still hoping this is in fact all that's wrong, though I'm not convinced yet it is.

Regardless though, why would the managing director make that direct statement yet anyway when the team has yet to have released it? Is that appropriate?

Because the media scrutiny in Norway for Zucc is absolutely insane?

mjdlight

Jul 20, 2006
Zucc is a very important player, and currently my favorite Ranger.

That being said, if Zucc's absence is enough to get the team bounced from the second round, then the Rangers were never really a serious Cup contender this season.

I think a lot of the Zucc hand wringing is really hand wringing coming off the Pittsburgh series. Everyone was looking not only for a short series, which happened, but a dominant performance by the Rangers. Four 2-1 wins, two of them in OT, are not the things of which swagger are built.

Add to that the puck possession metrics anxiety, even more so with Zucc out.

And then add in the historical weight that comes with this franchise and following it, and its easy to see why many fans are ready to write the team off for the year.

Let's see if this team and AV have one or two more rabbits up their sleeve.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I always feel like whenever Brooks posts something he's doing it to stir up the pot and be a ****. But he does know his stuff and while its his job to be dramatic this just isn't good news anyway you cut it. I think since he's had a prior concussion that factors into this and if he's not feeling well they are going to take it slow with him, but it doesn't mean he won't come back next round. Hoping.

Last edited by a moderator:

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Perhaps something has been lost in translation. We need a legit Norwegian lad to give a better translation.

I have a feeling it is what it is, but also think he's just giving the media what they want. For now saying it's a concussion would suffice for them. The more I think about it, the more I really don't see him revealing more than that to them even if he knew more. At this point it's like politics. Say only what you must and for the time being keep the rest under wraps.

Which leads me in some ways to believe that it's almost futile to be hoping for more solid info than that at this point, because if in reality the situation was as we think, then it probably will be quite some time before we know it to actually be true.

For now I simply wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to tonight. I have no doubt we can overcome the challenge.

Wolfy*

Well at least we know he's out long term. Playoffs are over in 6 weeks, that's probably not enough time for him to return.

So boys...win the Cup for Zuccarello!

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I have a feeling, and that's all it is, a feeling, that it is much worse than we are being led to believe.

I don't think we'll see Zucc for the remainder of the playoffs, no matter how long we last. Furthermore, I think that the injury he sustained could be of the career altering variety.

I'm basing this on the shot itself, where it hit him, how he reacted, the fact that there is no info anywhere to be found, and the very limited info that we've gotten all seems to be very bad.

I hope to the gods above that I'm wrong.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
This has all been a beautiful mindgame and Zucc is actually ready to go tonight

#Tinfoilhathopes

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
I have a feeling, and that's all it is, a feeling, that it is much worse than we are being led to believe.

I don't think we'll see Zucc for the remainder of the playoffs, no matter how long we last. Furthermore, I think that the injury he sustained could be of the career altering variety.

I'm basing this on the shot itself, where it hit him, how he reacted, the fact that there is no info anywhere to be found, and the very limited info that we've gotten all seems to be very bad.

Yup. For all those reasons and more. I wish there was a card big enough for every Rangers fan to sign and have sent to him...

Wolfy*

Mr. Skabo probably received so many questions that he had to reveal something, and confirmed a concussion, said he has been in contact with Zucc.

But I believe it's a bit more complicated, and the reason they are talking long term.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

Legit Norwegian here.

The article is quoting Skabo talking to TV2 reporters: "- Jeg har snakket med Mats, og han har fått en hjernerystelse. Så det er umulig å si når han kommer tilbake på isen, men han har det beste apparatet rundt seg der borte. De tar ingen sjanser, sier Skabo til TV 2"

Accurately transalted: "I've spoken to Mats, and he has a concussion. Its impossible to say when he's back on tjhe ice, but he has the best team around him over there. They take no chances, Skabo says to TV2".

Skabo is his manager (in charge of business affairs and press for most parts in Norway), and wasnt very general at all, he flat out confirmed its a concussion.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

With the de facto policy of not revealing anything about injuries, I feel this way pretty much any time someone gets badly hurt. I had a sinking feeling that Henrik neck injury would end his career.

It's so tough to tell. Zucc might have played his last game ever. Or he might be back in 20 days.

I definitely agree that this injury had all the makings of something that could be extremely serious. Just have to cross our fingers and wait and see.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Legit Norwegian here.

The article is quoting Skabo talking to TV2 reporters: "- Jeg har snakket med Mats, og han har fått en hjernerystelse. Så det er umulig å si når han kommer tilbake på isen, men han har det beste apparatet rundt seg der borte. De tar ingen sjanser, sier Skabo til TV 2"

Accurately transalted: "I've spoken to Mats, and he has a concussion. Its impossible to say when he's back on tjhe ice, but he has the best team around him over there. They take no chances, Skabo says to TV2".

Skabo is his manager (in charge of business affairs and press for most parts in Norway), and wasnt very general at all, he flat out confirmed its a concussion.

Thank you for that. Just really hope its true and it isn't any worse than that. I mean, we have to be fair.. this is the most concrete info that is out there so far.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Legit Norwegian here.

By generic I mean saying only what he needed to say. He never flat out said it's only a concussion. That's what we're concerned with. And I won't say in some small ways it doesn't make me more hopeful, just that it doesn't completely lead me to consider others statements to be wrong.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Let's not fail to remember that winning the Cup is a war of attrition - the Isles were down 3D in game 7, Pittsburgh was down 3D against us, Detroit was down 2 starting D in game 7. Predators lost Weber. Calgary lost their best player and still won round one. This stuff is going to happen.

nasmis

Feb 1, 2011
TV 2 has received confirmation from Kevin Skabo, Mats Zuccarello Aasens manager, that he has suffered a concussion.

The Norwegian had the unfortunate experience of taking a puck to the head last friday, in the fifth game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

- I have talked to Mats, and he has a concussion. It's impossible to say when he is back on the ice, but he has the best possible support team available to him over there [ed. in New York]. They take no chances, says Skabo to TV2.

Thursday night, Zuccarello's club, The New York Rangers, play their first quarterfinal game at home against the Washington Capitals. According to the credible journalist Larry Brooks of the Washington Post? [ed. mistake. "NY Post"] the Norwegian will not be on the ice for any of these games.

The worst case scenario is that the season is over for Zuccarello - even if the Rangers were to repeat last year's success and get to the Stanley Cup finals.

[ed. I read this last paragraph as speculation based as much on Brooks' piece as the conversation the journalist has had with Skabo. I guess he is still in pain, nobody really knows at this time when that pain may subside.]

The shot that hit the Norwegian was even fired by his teammate Ryan McDonagh, and the Oslo born kid apparently spent one night in the hospital to be kept under observation. This is usual for such injuries.

Martin St. Louis will fill in for Zuccarello along side with Rick Nash and Derick Brassard.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Wow some of you are seriously acting like he's going to die or something. The rangers handle all injuries like this. We have no clue what's going on, that's the gist of it. People in here leaning towards career altering? Jesus Christ

BarbaraAlphanse

Hoping for a speedy concussion recovery. Never know with these things.

Wolfy*

Wow some of you are seriously acting like he's going to die or something. The rangers handle all injuries like this. We have no clue what's going on, that's the gist of it. People in here leaning towards career altering? Jesus Christ

If you didn't know...a brain trauma is a very serious matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad