Proposal: Zucc to Oilers for Lucic ++

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
actually i expect Hitch to get more out of Lucic,

the principles of the proposal do reflect recent similar deals,
paying dearly for an offensive talent, and paying dearly to rid a large contract,
but both a first and one of those blue-chip guys is a very big ticket

i could see a deal involving a 1st, and/or young but not A+ prospects, such as Bear or Maksimov, supplemented by promising longer-shots like a Kesselring

the key to keep in mind is that for NYR,
Lucic is not an asset, he is actually part of the cost,
of both cap Space and taking ice time from a kid,
unless they flip him, and that would likely involve $$ retention

Most Oiler fans even forget about the Kesselring pick (which I quite liked). Kudos.

Lucic - for what it’s worth and I’m not sure how much that is - has been decent under Hitch. Strong possession and Corsi player and has been getting his chances on a line with Brodziak and Kassian.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghtti

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Obviously OP only took 1 teams needs into account so this can be easily dismissed.

Why would EDM want Zucc at all? Does it make sense that they mortgage the future to maybe (unlikely) make the playoffs and get bounced early to get rid of a contract that they could just retain on, buy out or wait for a potential compliance buyout? Then lose the asset they paid to acquire. Is that honestly worth the bounty they’ve collected over 2 fruitless seasons? To anyone with a brain, obviously not.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It’s not JUST Zucc. We’re adding a 2nd AND taking back Lucic’s contract.

Sheesh

And you want an unprotected first, Evan Bouchard (who I wouldn’t give up alone in this deal) and Puljujarvi/Benson/Jones.

I mean it when I say you could remove the first and the 2nd prospect - reducing this to Lucic and Bouchard for Zuccarello and a 2nd - and Edmonton still doesn’t consider this for a second.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You guys can rip the proposal all you want

I believe Zucc fetches a first and solid (not elite) prospect

I believe the Oilers have been linked to trying to get rid of Lucic’s contract (which at 4 X 6) is horrendous. To move that would
Also require either a first or elite prospect.

Combine the two together and get a second coming back and I still like my proposal

Fire away if you feel the need

Or maybe what it needs is some creativity. Here is a hypothetical deal that gives you a frame work for moving a contract like Lucic's that does not cost a significant asset: This deal is a three way trade where Carolina absorbs some cap space but actually saves real dollars and gets paid to do so. The key assumption is that Carolina wants out of the Rask deal.

To Carolina: Lucic, Benning <=> To Edmonton: V. Rask

To Montreal: Lucic 20% retained , Benning <=>To Carolina: Alzner, 3rd in 2020

To Edmonton: Alzner 15% retained <=>To Carolina: 2020 3rd, Spooner

Edmonton buys out Alzner.

Net impact:

Edmonton: In: Rask Out: Spooner, Benning and Lucic, 2020 3rd

Cap: $7M in cap savings minus the buyout for Alzner which would be:

2019-2020: 900K 2020-2021: $3.6M 2021-2022: $1.9M 2022-2025: $900K

Carolina: In Spooner, 2020 3rd, 2020 3rd , Out Rask

Money: They pay $3.2M for Lucic, $900K for Alzner =$4.1M but they save $900k this year and next and get rid of Rask's on Rask vs Spoonerlast two years at $4M so they come out ahead money wise by a fair bit and gain 2 mid round picks.

Montreal: In Lucic at 80% and Benning Out: Alzner, 3rd in 2020

Alzner is not going to help Montreal at all if he can't play a regular shift. It's pretty hard to hide a defensive defenseman who can no longer defend. Even on the 3rd pairing the guy can cost you games. Lucic on the other hand can play on the Hab's 3rd or 4th line without really hurting them. He can add some size and physicality which they really lack. They won't need the cap space until 2020 at the earliest and might be willing to gamble that they get a compliance buyout. But if that does not happen they could try to move him then with modest retention to a team that has a budget after July 1. The Habs could retain 1/4 of his deal for three years and the other team would only be on the hook for an average of $2.5M per year in actual money.

Reactions: bernmeister

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Rangers would prefer to have cap in the future years than have 6m anchor Lucic. And really why do the Oilers want Zucc, it's not like he will change their fortunes (a playoff spot).

We’re in a garbage division with crap teams (largely). Even going something like 3-8-2 in our last 13, we’re still only four points out with two games in hand.

Even so Zuccarello makes no sense.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Future cap space issue or not, the Rangers would have to be crazy to turn down this wonderful proposal! I like it! Let's get the paperwork started immediately! :D

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Most Oiler fans even forget about the Kesselring pick (which I quite liked). Kudos.

NYR have been doubling down on NCAA kids the last few years, and i have had a college hockey connection, so i am tuned into those types of picks.
And like almost all orgs, RHD is an area NYR need more depth/pipeline.

Kid has size,has been improving, and was confident enough to decommit from his family's legacy school, to switch to Northeastern which seems trending up.
In '19 he will enter along side NYR's late/last '18 pick, RW Riley Hughes

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
We’re in a garbage division with crap teams (largely). Even going something like 3-8-2 in our last 13, we’re still only four points out with two games in hand.

Even so Zuccarello makes no sense.

I was implying that Zucc is hardly a game changer. Looks like the Pacific division is the new "Chuck Norris" division of the 80s. Well, maybe not that bad. I wonder about the Sharks. They overpaid IMO for Karlsson. They don't have much in futures and have some iffy contract going forwards. I'm cheering for the Oilers to make the playoffs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Zuccarello alone is worth a 1st plus on an expiring contract
Taking back Lucic with no retention is worth 1st and top prospect

My proposal
To Edmonton-Mats Zuccarello and
NY Rangers 2nd pick 2019

To NY Rangers-Milan Lucic
Oilers 1st 2019 unprotected
Rangers choice of 2 prospects (only 1 of Yamo or Bouchard )

Oilers free up Lucic contract and get a premium winger on an expiring contract
Rangers get younger and more assets

I think you can take the 2nd and the prospect out and someone out there takes this deal if Zuccarello could be an asset on any team in the league. Well, at least the rebuilding teams take it. Wait a minute, damn.... I see what you're doing, New York!

Justin17

Nov 9, 2018
Evander Kane was traded for a conditonal 1st a 4th and an average prospect. Kane is worth more than Zuc so I doubt he will be able to fetch a late first and a B prospect
You can also say that Nash got a 1st and Zuc is more valuable, but we’ll see.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What if the price was:

1st Rd pick (top 10 protected)
OR
2nd rd pick + Safin/Maksimov

Really, truly, unless some kind of very reasonable extension is in place Edmonton shouldn't acquire anyone like Zuccarello. They're just not in a position to do this right now. If at the TDL the Oilers are in the playoff hunt perhaps your second offer would be enticing.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

My proposal
NY Rangers 2nd pick 2019

Also a Ranger fan and this is absolutely brutal for Edmonton.

You went overkill on what it would take for them to get rid of Lucic.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Zuccarello is worth a conditional second round pick (turn into a 2020 1st if he re signs)
Getting rid of lucic is worth a second round pick at most

So Lucic + 2018 conditional 2nd round pic + 2019 2nd round pic for Zuc is more faire I would think

Look at the Evender trade last year, I would say Zuc has similar value (a bit less actually)

Ok the OP was bad, but Zuccarello is worth less than Michael Grabner? Get real.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montreal would take Lucic for Oilers first pick. They can lottery protect it. We can flip Shaw for 2nd rounder. So, difference in caproom not great.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Yours is sarcastic and unrealistic. My proposal is serious and meant to provoke discussion. Chill out or go away and ignore the thread. EASY!!
this is what you consider a serious proposal? It's a huge pile of shit
There's always takers for contracts in the summer for way less than an unprotected 1st and a prospect like Bouchard/Puljujarvi/Yamamoto

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

My proposal
NY Rangers 2nd pick 2019

Bouchard anc a shot at Hughes for a rental just to get rid of Lucic? Give your head a shake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad