Do you pay Zub that much?

• Yes

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 99 90.0%

• Total voters

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I would be shocked if Zub is not re-signed, I think it's a guarantee he stays to be honest but it's purely a gut feeling.

Team is selling the future. Zub is our best RD by far and he's 26. He costs us nothing in terms of assets, just sign him because you need him. If other players come in and are able to replace him, fine just trade him. Top 4 defensemen are always in high demand, he will have very good value on the market even making 5M a year. A guy who can play 22+ minutes of mistake free hockey is incredibly valuable in today's NHL. We, out of all teams, should know that and even though I don't trust Dorion this is an abolute no brainer.

• Love
Reactions: OD99

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Zub comes in around 5 give or take, I don't think he has enough offence, at least we haven't seen enough to warrent more than that. He is our best RD because we don't have much on D, the RD prospects are still young & Zub has a lot of experience behind him & on them. If they are lucky enough to draft one of the two top RD in this upcoming draft than he could have some competition in the coming yrs but he should still be this team's best RD for another yr or two or longer.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not even sure he gets this on the open market, let alone from the Sens.

My initial gut reaction was a hard no based on AAV, but it'd be interesting to discuss the merits of 6.5X4 over something more "reasonable" like 5.5X6/7. It kind of makes sense to pay the shutdown D type on a shorter term given how much quicker they tend to break down.

Not gonna happen in Ottawa anyways, so maybe it's moot.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I would be shocked if Zub is not re-signed, I think it's a guarantee he stays to be honest but it's purely a gut feeling.

Team is selling the future. Zub is our best RD by far and he's 26. He costs us nothing in terms of assets, just sign him because you need him. If other players come in and are able to replace him, fine just trade him. Top 4 defensemen are always in high demand, he will have very good value on the market even making 5M a year. A guy who can play 22+ minutes of mistake free hockey is incredibly valuable in today's NHL. We, out of all teams, should know that and even though I don't trust Dorion this is an abolute no brainer.
Unless Zub is dead set against signing here and we have no chance all of the above is true.

You can overpay a bit to keep legit talent because it is an asset you can move for other pieces later.

He is a RD to boot about the most coveted asset in hockey. You don't just let this guy walk.

Only other option would be to trade him before next year's deadline. The moment we know we can't sign him we must get significant assets back, including a prospect RD.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
6.7 is a lot but the team essentially falls apart without him. How valuable is that?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
6.7 is a lot but the team essentially falls apart without him. How valuable is that?
We just had one of our better games of the season without him, I get he's important but it's more because of what we don't have than what he is that causes the team to struggle with him out.

He's not worth 6.7, it's an absurd number for him... If that's what he's asking for you ship him out, go after replacement options like Severson, Mayfield, Carlo or Parayko, bundle that with the money were paying Hamonic and you might be able to get two of those guys.

Reactions: Flamingo and Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
zero chance he gets this on the open market

actually maybe 1% due to some gm's making obviously stupid signings (Gudbranson in CBJ)

he is more like a 5mill defesemen max

Reactions: Cosmix

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
We just had one of our better games of the season without him, I get he's important but it's more because of what we don't have than what he is that causes the team to struggle with him out.

He's not worth 6.7, it's an absurd number for him... If that's what he's asking for you ship him out, go after replacement options like Severson, Mayfield, Carlo or Parayko, bundle that with the money were paying Hamonic and you might be able to get two of those guys.

1 game against one of the few teams worse than us. But yea they looked good.

I think he will probably manage to get near 6m on the open market. Almost every team in the league is looking for a Zub. The 6.7 would be to overpay everyone on the market.

But the kicker is that Zub at 6.7 is much more valuable than DBC at 9 imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
1 game against one of the few teams worse than us. But yea they looked good.

I think he will probably manage to get near 6m on the open market. Almost every team in the league is looking for a Zub.
Can you me some comparables getting ~6 mil?

As I said, our issue isn't that Zub is needed to win games, it's that without him we have three 3rd pair level guys on the right side. The solution isn't to grossly over pay one average top 4 RHD and continue to be at risk of being Rudderless every time he gets hurt, it's to improve depth at RHD so that we have guys capable of stepping up for short spurts.

Reactions: Cosmix

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

As I said, our issue isn't that Zub is needed to win games, it's that without him we have three 3rd pair level guys on the right side. The solution isn't to grossly over pay one average top 4 RHD and continue to be at risk of being Rudderless every time he gets hurt, it's to improve depth at RHD so that we have guys capable of stepping up for short spurts.

I think we are starting a new era in how the game is played so my comp is future supply and demand. With the way the league is trending with skill having more and more space to operate, players like Zub who can skillfully counter defend and play tactically are becoming more and more valuable. Not to mention he is RD and that you see contracts being thrown out to 2nd line wingers that are comparable.

I would not even think twice about paying Zub 6 mill vs DBC at 9m. Tactically one is a lot more valuable, especially to us.

And yes we should have a lot more depth. But there is not anyone on the horizon unless Thomson and JBD massively accelerate in their development. We will have to trade for one otherwise and that requires a perfect storm.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think we are starting a new era in how the game is played so my comp is future supply and demand. With the way the league is trending with skill having more and more space to operate, players like Zub who can skillfully counter defend and play tactically are becoming more and more valuable. Not to mention he is RD and that you see contracts being thrown out to 2nd line wingers that are comparable.

I would not even think twice about paying Zub 6 mill vs DBC at 9m. Tactically one is a lot more valuable, especially to us.

And yes we should have a lot more depth. But there is not anyone on the horizon unless Thomson and JBD massively accelerate in their development. We will have to trade for one otherwise and that requires a perfect storm.
Damn I always wondered why some GMs give out ridiculous contracts come free agency.

After reading this now I understand

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Damn I always wondered why some GMs give out ridiculous contracts come free agency.

After reading this now I understand

Anyone got that with Zub vs without Zub record for the team in the last 3 years? doubt its pretty.

We ideally need two Zubs, losing the one we have is going to be rough.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Severson or Mayfield absolutely would not be able to fill that role. All jersey fans have talked about is how Severson is slotted correctly on the third pair. Carlo is a lefty, Parayko has a worse contract. As per our previous discussion he isnt as replaceable as you seem to think.

That being said its not going to take 6.7 million per season to sign Zub. No one is giving him that. Was the title of this poll changed at some point is that possible?

I really do think you severly underrate Zub. There are almost no shut down top 4 D men out there especially ones that can play top pair minutes. They simply dont exist, if they do, teams dont let them go.

I cant imagine it costs more than 5.5 per year to sign him but if it took 6 id probably do it. There are easier ways to save 1 million. For example not paying a 3rd/4th liner like Joseph 3 million per year.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Severson or Mayfield absolutely would not be able to fill that role. All jersey fans have talked about is how Severson now that he is on the third pair is slotted correctly. Carlo is a lefty, Parayko has a worse contract. As per our previous discussion he isnt as replaceable as you seem to think.

That being said its not going to take 6.7 million per season to sign Zub. No one is giving him that. Was the title of this poll changed at some point is that possible?

I really do think you severly underrate Zub. There are almost no shut down top 4 D men out there especially ones that can play top pair minutes. They simply dont exist, if they do, teams dont let them go.

I cant imagine it costs more than 5.5 per year to sign him but if it took 6 id probably do it. There are easier ways to save 1 million. For example not paying a 3rd/4th liner like Joseph 3 million per year.
Severson might work. He is playing 3rd pair now, but has been 2nd pair for several years before. Its not ideal, but it might work.

I like the idea of checking free agency though. And, I like the idea of somehow retaining Zub plus adding another RD as well if we are serious about making the playoffs next year and possibly winning a round or two. Optimistic ideas.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Severson might work. He is playing 3rd pair now, but has been 2nd pair for several years before. Its not ideal, but it might work.

I like the idea of checking free agency though. And, I like the idea of somehow retaining Zub plus adding another RD as well if we are serious about making the playoffs next year and possibly winning a round or two. Optimistic ideas.
In which he didnt do very well but most imporantly he isnt physical at all. The sens need heavy players to play against that play in the top 4. Chabot and Sanderson are top 4 D men but arent heavy or specifically physical. I really dont think its that optomistic to re-sign Zub. I dont really understand the premise that while the sens have his rights they may not be able to keep him either. They have an advantage over every team at the moment.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Definitely don't think $6.7 is a fair deal, Zub isn't worth that much. Not enough offensive production to warrant that and the unfortunate (or fortunate for us I guess) reality is shut down defenders usually don't earn past $6 million, I can't think of a single one.

Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to pay him $5.5 million right now, even that would be on the high end. I just want him signed and here for 8 years

Reactions: NB613

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
In which he didnt do very well but most imporantly he isnt physical at all. The sens need heavy players to play against that play in the top 4. Chabot and Sanderson are top 4 D men but arent heavy or specifically physical. I really dont think its that optomistic to re-sign Zub. I dont really understand the premise that while the sens have his rights they may not be able to keep him either. They have an advantage over every team at the moment.
I don't remember him playing really poorly (like really bad) when he was 2nd pair, but then again, I am going from memory which isn't infallible for sure.

I would definitely support the idea of finding someone better for sure. I also agree that we need to find defenders whose skillset compliment Chabot & Sanderson. I think they need to be defensive oriented defenseman that can box out, cover their man in front of the net and along the boards, be positionally sound, and that kind of thing.

Yes, I hope we find away of keeping Zub. $s and term are likely what its going to boil down to. I would have no issue with a $5 m x 5/6 years kind of contract because I don't think we'll find better for less.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Carlo is a lefty,
Looks like a righty to me

1670270812291-png.617319

Attachments

• 1670270812291.png
    1670270812291.png
    82 KB · Views: 8

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
if it’s Zub at 6.7 vs No Zub at 0.0

Laugh all you want I’ll take Zub at 6.7

Obviously I hope he does not get that overpaid I don’t think he will get more than 6*5 anywhere.

Since Zub joined our team our record has been abysmal with him out of the line up

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Why should we overpay? The goal is to pay him fairly so he stays. If zub were to ask for 6.7 that would affect my perception of his character and have me worried about how he will now fit on the team. He wont be getting zuuuuuub’ed for long after that im sure.

Imagine we sign Chycrun say. Now how will you feel about Zub at 6.7?

Come on though, Sens fans suggesting they are ok with overpaying someone? I find that hard to believe. The minute that contract is signed there would be a large accountant brigade deriding his cost per point and starting the scapegoat club to dump him and the idiot that signed him to that 😊

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad