• Yes

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 99 90.0%

• Total voters

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Statistical models generally place his market value somewhere around 4M give or take a few hundred grand. You have to pay above market to keep players in Canada, but if you go much beyond 4.5M you've probably made a fairly substantial error.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hopefully he doesn't price himself that high but if it comes down to it, would you guys do it?
Gotta say, it is nice to see Zub's representation polling the fanbase to get a feeling for how the team would react to such a contract.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens have all interest to try to re-sign Zub this offseason because the team should be much better next year and he will constantly be paired with Chabot or Sanderson so he will have a lot more touches IMO. We should be spending more time in the Ozone and he should be able to use more of his offense. If the team takes a step forward I would not be surprised to see him put up a 40 pts season and price himself out of town.

Sign him this offseason. He's 26 right now, he's a smart cerebral player. 4 to 6 years around 4.5-5M seems like a good deal for both sides. You don't get much for that price nowadays and he can play a ton of minutes of high quality hockey against any offense plus he has some good instincts on offense.

6.7M is too much for the points he's putting up right now. If he has a good season next year and goes to UFA I could totally see a team giving him that much. Teams are desperatr to find players like Zub.

Fair to say that if nothing happens this summer regarding Artem Zub and Connor Brown, Dorion might put us in a very delicate situation, once again.

If it came down to losing him or paying him 6.7M I'd bite the bullet and throw the money at him, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it.

Top 4 RD are almost impossible to find, and Zub has proven to be one. He's the most important upcoming UFA to re-sign by a longshot.

In that case, trade him for a RW, and trade Connor Brown for a RD

You can even add picks/prospects to improve the quality!

But yeah, always stressful when Pierre is making these moves.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If it came down to losing him or paying him 6.7M I'd bite the bullet and throw the money at him, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it.

Top 4 RD are almost impossible to find, and Zub has proven to be one. He's the most important upcoming UFA to re-sign by a longshot.

Pretty much this. I'd bite the bullet simply because we literally can't afford to lose him unless we want to be in the Bedard/Mitchkov sweepstakes opening night next year.

Forget 4 years, give him a long term deal at $5 million (7-8 years). His game isn't going to decline since he doesn't play like Volchenkov. He's positionally our best defender and has very good stick work. Zub has to be an integral part of this core.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pretty much this. I'd bite the bullet simply because we literally can't afford to lose him unless we want to be in the Bedard/Mitchkov sweepstakes opening night next year.

Forget 4 years, give him a long term deal at $5 million (7-8 years). His game isn't going to decline since he doesn't play like Volchenkov. He's positionally our best defender and has very good stick work. Zub has to be an integral part of this core.
If we were willing to pay 6.7M for Zub we would have better options at that price.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
crazy, imagine not wiling to give Zub 5 mill only to let him leave and slot in the next gudbranson and call it a successful offseason

That's some prime Dorion thinking on how to keep your team bad, so no surprise you're a fan.

Are we talking about the same Gudbranson who's currently on the 1st place (in their division) Flames, playing even more minutes than he played with us?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His price will be between 5.5 and 6, and I would do that. 6.7 is alot, however if it means they lose him if they dont got that high id have to think long and hard. He is massively underrated by a large portion of this fan base based on the comments. He is absolutely a number 3, he is good enough to carry a top 4 pair. Thats a very valuable player, he is also a RD the organizations weakest position and he is a shut down D man the organizations weakest style player.

I agree. $4.5M AAV. We need to have $$$ for other more offensive oriented players such as another Top 4 defenceman with offensive skills.
No they really dont need another offensive D they need a defensive D man.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lmfao, hell no.

Not a cent over 4.5
Then he is gone and this team continues to mire in mediocrity. This team is literally below the cap floor in real dollars right now and people dont want to pay a D man who is a plus player on a team that is negative 40 in goal differential and plays against the other teams best players. Zub plays just under 22 minutes a game... he literally elevates every player that plays with him. Absolute nonsense.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Are we talking about the same Gudbranson who's currently on the 1st place (in their division) Flames, playing even more minutes than he played with us?

yes the same gudbranson who would go back to being exposed if he we put him in a position to fail

vs Zub who is the guy who goes up against top end talent and literally makes everyone he plays with a better player.

Reactions: Boud and bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If he wants 6.7 send him to leafs and let them be on the hook for another outrageous deal...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
who?

perhaps through trade but who is trading a better rhd defenceman than zub?
If he demanded 6.7M, which he won’t so this is purely hypothetical, I’d call Vegas and send Zub and our 1st if it’s around 8OA for Theodore and their 1st. Vegas gets cap relief for next season and we get a very good left handed RD at 5.2M for 3 more years. If it’s true Zub wants another short term deal he won’t cost more than 5M.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
His price will be between 5.5 and 6, and I would do that. 6.7 is alot, however if it means they lose him if they dont got that high id have to think long and hard. He is massively underrated by a large portion of this fan base based on the comments. He is absolutely a number 3, he is good enough to carry a top 4 pair. Thats a very valuable player, he is also a RD the organizations weakest position and he is a shut down D man the organizations weakest style player.

No they really dont need another offensive D they need a defensive D man.
A number 3, but is he a 2?

What are your thoughts on Provorov, McDonagh and Giordano at 6.75 and Fowler Faulk and Krug at 6.5. Those are the 6 guys surrounding 6.7.

6.7 would be the 25th highest cap hit in the league for D men. A solid 3 able to anchor a 3/4 pair. Yes, I agree he warrants that, but that's not 6.7.

It's a tough spot. We need him. It's landing an AAV that works for everyone.

Edit: I think we need to land the Norris and Stuetzle contracts first, see how those AAVs go, then see what we can do with Zub. Stuetzle may not be ready to sign though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Another reason to go after one of the two RDs ranked in the top10 in this upcoming draft. If they can't get Nemec or Jiricek is Luneau a reach at 6th or 7th OA? Or do we think one of the three we have in Belleville could turn into one?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hopefully, they extend him before this current contract ends & not wait too long.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
A number 3, but is he a 2?

What are your thoughts on Provorov, McDonagh and Giordano at 6.75 and Fowler Faulk and Krug at 6.5. Those are the 6 guys surrounding 6.7.

6.7 would be the 25th highest cap hit in the league for D men. A solid 3 able to anchor a 3/4 pair. Yes, I agree he warrants that, but that's not 6.7.

It's a tough spot. We need him. It's landing an AAV that works for everyone.

Edit: I think we need to land the Norris and Stuetzle contracts first, see how those AAVs go, then see what we can do with Zub. Stuetzle may not be ready to sign though.
He is a number 2 on the sens because they don't have anyone close to a legit top 4. Sanderson will be a 2 and Zub will slot in correctly. To me the difference of a 3 and a 4 is alot bigger than a 2 or a 3. As a 3 is good enough to carry a pair for big minutes. Irregardless the sens have to lock up Zub they're just spinning their tires again if they don't have a playoff level d core. As I said in my earlier post they don't have anyone to replace him and d men are the hardest thing to aquire.

For the sens the only player that plays like Zub from a stylistic standpoint is McDonough. Zub is much better defensively than all those players you mentioned. He is also right handed and plays right. He is a great fit for this team and plugs an enormous hole. You need players that are hard to play against. Krug is a bad fit small. Faulk isn't very good defensively. I don't know what's happened to Provorov this year and McDonough is old. I prefer Zub for the sens. again 6.7 is alot. There is no way he should cost that much. Max 6 but probably comes in around 5.5 which I do all day.

Reactions: aragorn

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
He knows we don't draft RHD
Why would we ?
He will get paid elsewhere
We will just have to send 50 minutes waves of Chabot and Sanderson on the left side that's it
:cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad