Confirmed with Link: Zolnierczyk suspended four games

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I figured 2 or 3 but I'm not all that surprised at 4. I think part of it had to do with the hit in the prior game and part of it has to do with him being a nobody.

As for him getting more time because he's a Flyer, as long as we as fans and as management define Flyer hockey as tough hockey, these things are going to happen. Add in that we always seem to have a Rinaldo, Carcillo or Downie in the lineup and there's a target on our back.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
I figured 2 or 3 but I'm not all that surprised at 4. I think part of it had to do with the hit in the prior game and part of it has to do with him being a nobody.

As for him getting more time because he's a Flyer, as long as we as fans and as management define Flyer hockey as tough hockey, these things are going to happen. Add in that we always seem to have a Rinaldo, Carcillo or Downie in the lineup and there's a target on our back.

agreed on every point. we'll be fine.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
I really thought he was going to get 1.. MAYBE 2... but 4? Wow... little heavy handed there.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
One more than I thought. Definitely the hit against the Caps came into play; Shanahan is trying to impress on Z that he can't be throwing reckless hits.

LegionofDoom91 said:
I think the exact opposite. All players should be held to the same standard regardless of what their status in the NHL is.
In a perfect world, yes. However, the NHL is an entertainment business, and 4th-line nobodies -- as others have said -- won't be given the same treatment as stars who put people in seats.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
In a perfect world, yes. However, the NHL is an entertainment business, and 4th-line nobodies -- as others have said -- won't be given the same treatment as stars who put people in seats.

Oh I know that. I was just saying what it should be. This suspension gives Shanny some breathing room so he can do nothing the next time one of the better players does something questionable.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

If you are referencing the hit that was initially judged a kneeing major and game misconduct, the penalty was revoked from the record books and as judged by the NHL was clean and proper. It should have had no bearing on this decision and was not mentioned in Shanahan's analysis. It would be disproportionate to utilize something deemed satisfactory in an argument against the defense in such a ruling.

Lundin's concussion was likely a much larger consideration in this matter than Harry Z's history or even reputation.

Chris Therien was instantly critical of the hit and mentioned the word "lengthy" when queried about a possible suspension and said it was a "lay up." He also offered a "hope" it would be two games. Today, he seemed surprised at four games (which can be summarized as thinking it would be three games). Per the norm, Bundy was correct.

BroadStreetPhila

Feb 22, 2013
I went back and looked at the Neal/Cooter hit, I dare anyone to say Neal's wasn't far more worse by a large margin. And Neal didn't get a single game.

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
If you are referencing the hit that was initially judged a kneeing major and game misconduct, the penalty was revoked from the record books and as judged by the NHL was clean and proper. It should have had no bearing on this decision and was not mentioned in Shanahan's analysis. It would be disproportionate to utilize something deemed satisfactory in an argument against the defense in such a ruling.

Lundin's concussion was likely a much larger consideration in this matter than Harry Z's history or even reputation.

Chris Therien was instantly critical of the hit and mentioned the word "lengthy" when queried about a possible suspension and said it was a "lay up." He also offered a "hope" it would be two games. Today, he seemed surprised at four games (which can be summarized as thinking it would be three games). Per the norm, Bundy was correct.

Chris Therien was a ass when he played here and he is still a ass.:laugh:

mla

Jun 19, 2006
I think it's a bit harsh, but can anyone really disagree with it too much? He left his feet and made contact with the head. He was going to get something. The Flyers will be fine though. Losing Harry Zolniercyzk isn't going to kill them

The issue remains that no matter who deals with supplemental discipline, they do a really poor job of it. I don't think this should have gotten 4 when Neal last April got zero for the jump on Couturier. When Erskine is only given two for a blatant elbow. When Alfredsson can come in with intent to crosscheck Rinaldo in the face (no matter how much contact he actually made). Those are just incidents involving the Flyers, but it's a problem with every team in the league. You might as well take a dart board out to hand out suspensions. Many of the explanations are laughable. I think 4 games is deserved, but in the context of other incidents it's a joke.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Yeah, that is what I was referring to and I agree it wasn't a penalty and should have been rescinded but I think with 2 hits that were similar so close together, it played into things. I also don't think the league would ever admit it.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly

MSE, Do you agree with that system of suspensions? Brayden's hit on Volchenkov was similar, but worse IMO. He gets 1 because Anton has a cinderblock head while Harry gets 4 because Lundin has a softer skull? I'm actually saying Brayden shouldve gotten more, or same amount, not the other way around. Seems wrong to get less if you get lucky and don't injure the player. :dunno:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
MSE, Do you agree with that system of suspensions? Brayden's hit on Volchenkov was similar, but worse IMO. He gets 1 because Anton has a cinderblock head while Harry gets 4 because Lundin has a softer skull? I'm actually saying Brayden shouldve gotten more, or same amount, not the other way around. Seems wrong to get less if you get lucky and don't injure the player. :dunno:

There are variables to take into account. Player's reputation, the history, injuries, etc. Sure it was a different era, but I offer the Chelios hit on Propp. No punishment was issued on that play, no penalty, no suspension just mumbo jumbo from Brian O'Neill which increased the atrophy in integrity of the NHL. The purpose of Shanahan was to eliminate inconsistencies in these rulings but that was a joke from the outset since it is impossible to eradicate that from a ruling body.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Ridiculous. If he wasnt a flyer there's no way he gets more than a game. In reality the major and game misconduct was all that was necessary.

Hard to argue that the league hates the Flyers when they've been given the most power play opportunities in the entire NHL so far this year.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I don't buy into the whole bias thing but they're also the most penalized team so that doesn't really mean anything.

Actually Dallas is the most penalized team in the league but I get your point. I didn't plan on posting anything over here. I just stopped by to see if many Flyers fans were able to look at that hit objectively considering all of the trolling Matt Cooke gets for much, much less. I see a good number of people agreeing that he deserved a suspension so it is nice to see that not all Flyers fans are how I envision them although some are:) We all have those types of fans though.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I have no problem with 4 games Lundin got hurt on the play, Harry Z was playing hard and the hit wasn't "dirty" in the sense like a Kasparaitis hit, but it wasn't legal, my biggest problem is with Shanny and his horrible incosistency, why is there not a board who makes the disciplinary rules and hands out the suspensions? Make a board that handles this and make the rules stick and mandatory, ie if you leave your skates automatic 2 games, any hit to the head 4 games, just throwing numbers out there but if you enforce them no matter what it will stop being the joke it is today

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Should be 1 ex player, 1 ex ref, 1 ex coach on a panel.

Lindros suggested something like that in an interview a year or so ago, and it is just about the best idea I have heard.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Shanahan seems to enjoy making an example out of Flyers, considering he won't do it to anyone else. The number doesn't bother me, but everyone else always seems to get 2.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I've waffled so much on this hit it's not even funny.

When I first saw it, I thought it was borderline dirty and Z definitely left his feet early and I expected a 2-3 game suspension.

Then someone posted a somewhat blurry screen grab showing that Z's skate looked like it was still on the ice when conduct was first initiated and that the contact was initially shoulder to shoulder and I thought maybe he'd just get a fine.

After watching the High Quality Video and slow-mos included w/ the Shanahan video, it seems pretty clear that Harry Z left his feet early and targeted the head. And while he might've initially grazed the shoulder making it the initial point of contact, it seems like 95% of the force of the hit went right to the Lundin's head.

Harry Z definitely deserved to be suspended. I think 4 games is too much and is inconsistent w/ what the NHL has been handing out lately, but it's long been known that Shanahan is inconsistent and that 4th line players will always get longer suspensions than guys like Taylor Hall.

That being said, it's still a joke that Alfredsson clearly targeted (and hit) Rinaldo in the face/head w/ a cross-check in response to a 100% clean hit thrown by Rinaldo and walked away without so much as warning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad