Confirmed with Link: Zolnierczyk suspended four games

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
And that style likely never would have been used if not for that rule. But that's not being fair. I guess you could keep one and not the other and hope for the best, but it's not hard to imagine why and how the lines slow down rushes. I like defensive play but I'd prefer if it happened a little faster than 3 mph while stopping and starting and circling through the lines.

GTopCheese

Jul 19, 2012
Hate seeing this suspension nonsense in the NHL...........Bring back the 2 line pass rule and get rid of the 3rd man in rule during fights etc,,,,,,,Hockey was MUCH better when the PLAYERS enforced the games in my view.
The refs are already doing terribly as is. The less responsibility they have the better. No thank you...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's more than just the raw number of goals - which I agree the lower they are the more valuable each one is. (I'll never understand basketball with its shot clock and illegal defense to maintain the pace of constant scoring - that pace is EXACTLY why I can't bother watching it). The quality of play also suffered with the 2LP rule. Slow and mired and muddled.

And it's already getting there again (quality of offense, that is). We see teams crowding around the net. Fewer clean goals get scored, with all the shot blocking and the sheer size of goaltenders and their pads nowadays compared to the 80s and early 90s, as well as more efficient goaltending styles. On top of that, defenders are often allowed to get away with more now than they were after the 05 lockout, depending on which band of striped jesters is on the ice. A lot of goalscoring today depends on deflections, bounces, or knocking in rebounds. There's less emphasis on a goaltender's raw athletic ability, and more on his ability to be in position and be big; and to hope the skaters in front of him block shots for him. There aren't as many good quality scoring areas as there once were.

Putting in two line passing is only going to aggravate this. I don't mind low scoring games...but I much prefer if it's due to the raw skill of the goaltender, not because of the system played in front of him. Two line pass restrictions favor the system. I'd actually like to see goaltender pads reduced in size (leg pad width, any extraneous padding meant to stop puck for the goalie[the goalie should do his own job, the pads shouldn't do it for him and should only be as large as needed to provide protection], smaller blocker and glove)...in theory, that ought to make perimeter shots meaningful once again. Defenders would have to defend those shots more than they currently do, which opens up the slot a little more. Blue line shots become more deadly. And most importantly, goaltender ability will suddenly matter a lot more. I wouldn't mind seeing a larger gap between the best goalies and the worst, like there used to be before pad sizes ballooned and, in conjunction with the butterfly, drastically cut down on the gap between top goalies and "meh" goalies. Goalie size and pad size has increased dramatically in the last century, but net size has stayed constant. Something has to change, and I'd prefer if it's not bigger nets.

It's nice that goals are worth more, but too often they're of the "garbage" variety. I'd like to have the suspense of knowing any shot has a good chance of going in if it's well placed, instead of being pleasantly surprised when something from the boards or blue line sneaks through. Shooters have less area to shoot at than they once did.

That ends my off topic, caffeine-induced rambling for the day. Or maybe just the hour.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
One good part of this suspension is the whining on the Pens board. Delicious tears.

It's amazing how Z, with no prior history, somehow got too few games. Yet they refuse to believe anything Cooke does might have malicious intent based on the number of bodies left in the wake of his reckless/dangerous play. He's just unlucky, amiright?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
does anyone else think that kaleta suspension is a bit heavy handed by Shanny to ?

the Rags player def. goes down soft/easy there.. i dont think for a second he expected to have his head get crunched, but i think he knew he was gunna get checked.

i just have ZERO faith in Shanny to do the job they pay him for...

he seriously needs to go.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
So a guy with a rep gets 5 games while Harry Z a guy with no rep gets 4. Yup, totally objective rulings here.:shakehead

I thought Harry would get 1 game, 2 at most because he has no past history, but 4? I guess since Harry Z is also a Flyer, he gets another 1-2 games tacked on. The whole process of suspensions needs to be looked at and revised, but that just makes too much sense so of course it won't happen. :help:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
does anyone else think that kaleta suspension is a bit heavy handed by Shanny to ?

the Rags player def. goes down soft/easy there.. i dont think for a second he expected to have his head get crunched, but i think he knew he was gunna get checked.

A little bit but Kaleta is a dirtbag with a lengthy wrap sheet so he deserves it.

It was still reckless on Kaleta's part. You can't hit a guy in the numbers like that so close to the boards.

I don't think anyone on these boards approve of what Shanny's doing.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

I think he should have got closer to 10. Kaleta is a punk and will never learn. Richards was totally vulnerable.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

No.

Zolniercyzk got what he deserved, Kaleta deserved double of what he got.

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
A little bit but Kaleta is a dirtbag with a lengthy wrap sheet so he deserves it.

It was still reckless on Kaleta's part. You can't hit a guy in the numbers like that so close to the boards.

I don't think anyone on these boards approve of what Shanny's doing.

I think shanny is doing a great job:sarcasm:

NOT

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I hate how they take it easier on the player receiving the punishment if the other player isn't hurt on the play. To me that shouldn't matter. A dangerous play is a dangerous play.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Shanny is a joke, his position is a joke, and the fact that they continue to let him make these Pejorative Slured suspensions the league is a joke when it comes to discipline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad