Zlatan retires.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
More entertaining off the pitch and sadly that makes him quote overrated on it. That and highlights. Good player but terrible teammate and would never want him on my team trying to win something.

vaspa

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
Incredible and totally unique player. One of my all time favourite players to watch.

I have seen one Swedish national team match not involving Finland live and that happened to be the match Zlatan scored his first goal for Sweden, bundling in a rebound into a empty net couple of yards out. Didn't think much of him then, looked skilled but a bit gangly and erratic. Shows what I know. That was in 2001. Man, he was around for a long time.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
More entertaining off the pitch and sadly that makes him quote overrated on it. That and highlights. Good player but terrible teammate and would never want him on my team trying to win something.

What, guy won a lot at club level.

He clearly rub some people the wrong way (most notably Messi, but that was for diffence in opinion how Barca should have been structured positionwise, but in after the season celebrations on the pitch Zlatan was clealy liked b everyone and even Messi was having a laugh with him).

And also this season he seemed to be liked in Milan even if he didn't play much. For example, today Rafael Leao run first to him to celebrate his goal and he was seen a a positive influence for rest of the players during the season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He was a great teammate according to... His teammates.
Made everyone around him obsessed with winning.
Uber professional too.
Media loved to take him at first degree to write some headlines but the guy was such an hilarious tongue in cheek person.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He's got 12* league titles in his career across Serie A (5*), Ligue 1 (4), Eredivisie (2) and La Liga (1).

The only stop in his career where he didn't win a league title was United and he won the Europa league there. I suppose LA Galaxy as well, but that's hardly a real career stop, more of a PR assignment.

From 03-04 until 15-16 he won the title with every team* he was on except 11-12 at Milan

*He won 14 as a player, 7 of which were Serie A, but Juve did Juve things and got themselves retroactively disqualified from two of them.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What, guy won a lot at club level.

He clearly rub some people the wrong way (most notably Messi, but that was for diffence in opinion how Barca should have been structured positionwise, but in after the season celebrations on the pitch Zlatan was clealy liked b everyone and even Messi was having a laugh with him).

And also this season he seemed to be liked in Milan even if he didn't play much. For example, today Rafael Leao run first to him to celebrate his goal and he was seen a a positive influence for rest of the players during the season.
Meh I'll stand by what I said. Barca ,inter and barca won the CL in that order. He managed to somehow play for both and still not win one. It says something despite the leagues he won which is far easier than a CL.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yes, take something and then just make stupid, outrageous comments that have no basis. Buffon is wiping his tears with his WC too.
An outrageous comment that has no basis? So something along the lines of "I would never want him on my team if I wanted to win something", eh?

It says something that Italy won a European Championship in their first tournament after Buffon stopped being their captain...

"Chelsea won a Champions League right before Hazard joined and right after after he left, clearly Hazard was an obstacle to their success and you can't win things with him."

Do you not realize how absurd this sounds? How can one even conjure "oh yeah, this guy with 14 league titles is an impediment to team success" is absolutely beyond me.

Pep and Zlatan were a match made in hell, but Barcelona fans still continue to take it so personally, jesus.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
An outrageous comment that has no basis? So something along the lines of "I would never want him on my team if I wanted to win something", eh?

It says something that Italy won a European Championship in their first tournament after Buffon stopped being their captain...

"Chelsea won a Champions League right before Hazard joined and right after after he left, clearly Hazard was an obstacle to their success and you can't win things with him."

Do you not realize how absurd this sounds? How can one even conjure "oh yeah, this guy with 14 league titles is an impediment to team success" is absolutely beyond me.

Pep and Zlatan were a match made in hell, but Barcelona fans still continue to take it so personally, jesus.
Like I said he's WC is wiping his tears.

Might be Hazard has sucked ass for awhile now....

lol I couldnt care less, it was one year mistake that was fixed quickly. Pretty crazy revisionism here Ibra has had busts up with teammates not sure why the narrative changed. I like his personality off the pitch and his game on it.... but not a guy I'd want in the locker room.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

So because one known Barça supporter here made a comment about Ibrahimovic that you didn't like (and which I to a large degree disagree with - the sentiment that is) Barcelona fans still continue to take it so personally? I'd say if anyone took that personally it was Zlatan whose feelings were well known because he made them public on more than one occasion even essentially insulting his former teammates, who didn't say anything bad about him, in the process.

Personally, I could care less. It's such a non-story at this point and Zlatan's time at Barça while not great was still very good. If I cared I'd have already commented on the "Uber professional" comment which is clearly not the case unless of course Zlatan has been doing some work on the side for a ride-hailing company that I don't know about.

I think there's always been some sort of overblown mystique about Ibrahimovic based on his personality, but I also know that he was very much a generational player.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
His teammates have raved about his professionnalism. The fact he played in matches like in training. With full focus.
He helped many youngster develop that burning desire to win.
But I'm sure HFboards posters know more about his professionnalism.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad