Proposal: Zibanejad to the Avs

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You're right. The difference is actually only 0.94 P/60, which is not quite a full point lead for Kerfoot. :sarcasm:
I know you're joking, but back to the original point:

A couple years ago all of the Avs Fs were really not putting up points. When offers were made for them, many Avs fans would say "Points aren't everything." and "Nobody is scoring so the good guys aren't going to put up big numbers".

Now that their team is doing better all of a sudden, I guess pts are everything and team scoring context doesn't matter any more.

Not saying this to single out Avs fans, as I think lots of people do this- they'll argue contradictory points depending on their team's situation. Anyone who thinks Kerfoot is anywhere close to Mika is crazy.

That said, like I said on page 1, the Rangers likely wouldn't get 1 of those 2 pieces from the Avs, nevermind 2.

Reactions: Avs44 and cgf

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Lol @ Makar and/or Ott 1st needing to be in a deal for Zibanejad, whose career high for points in a season is 51. O'Reilly and Turris, both of whom are better than Zibs, didn't return nearly that high of a price.

Justin17

Nov 9, 2018
Lol @ Makar and/or Ott 1st needing to be in a deal for Zibanejad, whose career high for points in a season is 51. O'Reilly and Turris, both of whom are better than Zibs, didn't return nearly that high of a price.
Turris is better than Zibanejad?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't trade Zibanejad without Ottawa's 1st coming back. I can't see Gorton doing so either without that pick involved.

Colorado's 1st and a prospect could be good for Hayes, who I think would do a world of good for Colorado, but I don't see a fit for a Zibanejad deal.

Not that I think it's worth it for Colorado to give that Ottawa pick up in a deal for Zibanejad, I just think that's the only thing that would make Gorton even consider moving him right now as Zibanejad is young and has term left on a great deal and if dealt, it would kill the Rangers center depth.

In other words, to use the typical HF line, it would take an overpayment to get them to deal Zibanejad.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
to Avalanche
Mika Zibanejad

to Rangers
Ottawa 1st this year
A good right d prospect

Rangers continue to stockpile assets and futures while Colorado gets an elite 2nd line center to compliment McKinnon
giphy.gif

Reactions: Mac Attack

Justin17

Nov 9, 2018
Why don't you think so?
Similar production but Zibanejad is 4 years younger, and on a better contract. He’s worked a lot on his defensive game, and has 19 points so far while playing with Namestnikov and Fast. This is just my opinion, and I haven’t seen Turris play that often. Also, I agree that a Colorado shouldn’t trade Makar or the Ottawa first for him.

Reactions: bl02

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Similar production but Zibanejad is 4 years younger, and on a better contract. He’s worked a lot on his defensive game, and has 19 points so far while playing with Namestnikov and Fast. This is just my opinion, and I haven’t seen Turris play that often. Also, I agree that a Colorado shouldn’t trade Makar or the Ottawa first for him.

Turris still has the edge on Zibanejad when it comes to production over the last few seasons. I didn't say Turris was a lot better than Zibanejad, just that he's better. In any case, the point was that Zibs isn't worth either the Ott 1st or Makar and we both agree on that.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
You want Rantanen too?

No thanks. I have to laugh at the term "Elite 2nd-line centre". He's not elite if he's only a 2nd-line player.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Rangers aren't moving Zibanejad, Avs aren't moving that pick. /thread

I'm definitely surprised with Avs fans opinions of Zibanejad though. Pretty obvious based on these posts that you don't watch him play. He is that good

If you've seen our trade boards, quite a few of us would like Zibanejad and see him as a low end 1-c. But none of us are prepared to offer Ottawa's 1st or Makar to make that dream happen.

Bundle of lesser parts, Avs 1st, 2nd, Bowers, Timmins, Kaut, sure. But not a blue chip defender pre-NHL debut and a pick that could very well land a better player than Zibanejad. Both players (Makar and Mystery Draftee) would be on ELCs during the theoretical Avs contention period, a seriously valuable asset by itself in the cap era.d

Reactions: New Scotland

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

A couple years ago all of the Avs Fs were really not putting up points. When offers were made for them, many Avs fans would say "Points aren't everything." and "Nobody is scoring so the good guys aren't going to put up big numbers".

Now that their team is doing better all of a sudden, I guess pts are everything and team scoring context doesn't matter any more.

Not saying this to single out Avs fans, as I think lots of people do this- they'll argue contradictory points depending on their team's situation. Anyone who thinks Kerfoot is anywhere close to Mika is crazy.

That said, like I said on page 1, the Rangers likely wouldn't get 1 of those 2 pieces from the Avs, nevermind 2.

Well, we were kinda proven right.

I’d take Zibby over Kerfoot for sure. He’d be great on our 2nd line, but there isn’t a need to pay a large premium for that upgrade.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I could see the Avs giving up their own pick, but that sens pick is like a gold ticket to the Willie Wonka factory.

Z is not remotely worth that, though I imagine the Avs own pick could be potentially in play. He’s probably worth a first, or maybe a second and a legit prospect not named Makar.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

The point isn't "Kerfoot is as good as Zibanejad". The point is "we're getting good production out of Kerfoot, similar to that of Zibanejad right now, so why spend considerable assets to upgrade?"

I would love Zibby on this team. He's good friends with the captain and he's a legit talent. But if the Rangers are asking for a premium on him, it doesn't make sense to spend that when we're developing our own point producers who are holding their own.

Sakic preached patience and wanted to see how the homegrown secondary scoring would fare before he swung for outside help. Right now, the secondary scoring is starting to deliver, so fans of other teams telling us we need to pay them blue chippers to fix a problem we may not have is annoying.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
to Avalanche
Mika Zibanejad

to Rangers
Ottawa 1st this year
A good right d prospect

Rangers continue to stockpile assets and futures while Colorado gets an elite 2nd line center to compliment McKinnon

AVs do not do this.
When Colorado was playing better earlier on and looked like it was gonna compete but was a one line team and desperately needed depth, I offered an entire 2nd line including Zib for the Sens pick + Meloche and maybe a cap dump, don't remember exactly.

That was more reasonable given the situation.
That wuz not enuf and AV's slide hasn't helped incline for a deal.

Zib is a 1C value, and commands as such, no more, no less.
NY will not take less to accommodate Colorado there are other takers
and
if Colorado does not want to pay market rate, let alone a premium b'c supply and demand, 1Cs are not usually made available unless there is baggage or some other issue, that is their prerogative.

Despite being ideal complement to Kreider as I said he would be, Zib needs to be moved.
He has NMC pending which kicks in after this season and there is more value to moving him now than later.
Once we are all said and done, no more NMCs ever by Rangers, ever.
Generous NTC policy would be enough to protect player and give club flexibility.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
AVs do not do this.
When Colorado was playing better earlier on and looked like it was gonna compete but was a one line team and desperately needed depth, I offered an entire 2nd line including Zib for the Sens pick + Meloche and maybe a cap dump, don't remember exactly.

That was more reasonable given the situation.
That wuz not enuf and AV's slide hasn't helped incline for a deal.

Zib is a 1C value, and commands as such, no more, no less.
NY will not take less to accommodate Colorado there are other takers
and
if Colorado does not want to pay market rate, let alone a premium b'c supply and demand, 1Cs are not usually made available unless there is baggage or some other issue, that is their prerogative.

Despite being ideal complement to Kreider as I said he would be, Zib needs to be moved.
He has NMC pending which kicks in after this season and there is more value to moving him now than later.
Once we are all said and done, no more NMCs ever by Rangers, ever.
Generous NTC policy would be enough to protect player and give club flexibility.
So much wrong with this post.

The Avs current slide? You mean the one where they've won 4 straight and are tied for 2nd place in the Central?

No your proposal sending an entire line to the Avs for Ottawa's 1st and Meloche + cap dump was not more reasonable.

Finally the Rangers not offering NMCs ever is the dumbest thing I've ever read. They are a reality of the cap world. Rangers refusing to offer them would lead to never retaining talent.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Everyone does it because context matters. Obviously, Mika is the better overall player right now, but the main reason people claim that we need to make a trade is to address the secondary scoring we allegedly don't have. So, if we're making a move to improve our scoring, points are extremely relevant to that decision making process. Points aren't really relevant when good young players whose value are based mostly on potential are trying to be poached for pennies on the dollar by people disingenuously trying to use low point totals to devalue them. Should we call Larkin a 60 point player when discussing his value, or is he rightfully worth more than that?

As for the trade being proposed here, we're in complete agreement. The Sens 1st is essentially a non-starter at this point.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You want Rantanen too?

No thanks. I have to laugh at the term "Elite 2nd-line centre". He's not elite if he's only a 2nd-line player.
He does everything as a 1st line rate and he's a center, but you're probably not winning the Cup if he's your 1C.

What would you call that?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Asking for Ottawa 1st + Cale Makar for Mika Zibanejad isn't far off from the Avs asking for NYR 1st + Lias Andersson for Tyson Barrie.
No I'm pretty sure it is haha. Anderson is okay but doesnt compare to two top five picks. And Barrie imo is more valuable than Zib.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I never mentioned Makar in my proposal. I said the Ottawa 1st and a legit RD prospect

So based on the responses from Avs fans let’s tweak the deal.
Colorado’s 1st and anynprospect we want not named Makar

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Rangers aren't moving Zibanejad, Avs aren't moving that pick. /thread

I'm definitely surprised with Avs fans opinions of Zibanejad though. Pretty obvious based on these posts that you don't watch him play. He is that good
I think our reactions are more about the Value than Zib himself. Hed be a good 2c for us. Although I personally think we have the pieces that we can do better. But than again weve been spoiled at C in Colorado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad