Zibanejad is a beast

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
He isn’t top 15 the last two seasons. I would’ve thought so, as well, until I went through a list of all the teams.

These players are definitely better

Bergeron, Eichel, Barkov, Matthews, Tavares, Aho, Couturier, Malkin, Crosby, MacKinnon, O’Reilly, Scheifele, McDavid, Draisaitl, Kopitar, Pettersson

16 players

These players are in the same range as Zibanejad

Larkin, Stamkos, Point, Barzal, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Seguin, Getzlaf, Monahan, Couture, Hertl

11 players

You could quibble about one or two on each list, but the way I see it, Zibanejad is definitely a top 25-30 center in the league, but most likely in the 16-25 range. I think any higher than 19-21 range is too generous.
Lots to quibble with indeed. But, say you’re basically right on where he stands right now - would you then not say that Zibanejad plus Panarin could potentially be a one-two punch good enough to swing for the Stanley Cup - like Toews and Kane?

Need much more than that on the forward side alone - but looks like a great core. Then you can pray Shesterkin is what he’s looked like in 10 games, and that Trouba and Skjei are Keith and Seabrook. Order the champagne already!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Mika's 18th in the league in scoring and he missed 13 games with injury. Of the players above him every one of them has played more games ranging from 4 to 15. He would be quite a bit higher if he hadn't got hurt. He's pro-rating at about 100 point season......and he's much more than just a point producer. He plays all situations and is easily the Rangers best defensive center and IMO he's their best penalty killing forward. I definitely think he's in the top 10 centers in the league.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
59p in 45 games.

Or if you include last season, he's 57G-76A-133P in 129GP.

Like others have said, shame he was injured early in the season, but nice to see he bounced back pretty quick.

Now let's see if Strome is our late-bloomer #2C! Realistically I see him as a great 3C (just because I think this year is an anomaly and he'll regress) who can slot up, but hey... I was upset over losing Hayes and thought I'd be missing him, so what do I know?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The Zibanejad/Brassard trade is looking pretty ridiculous now. Zibanejad has 80 more points in 25 less games.

It was a good hockey trade at the time (outside of the extra pick Ottawa gave up).

Zibanejad would either not have progressed the same in Ottawa (lack of desire) or would have been moved in a season or two anyway (money demands)... And Brassard played well for Ottawa in that season we acquired him.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
It was a good hockey trade at the time (outside of the extra pick Ottawa gave up).
Agreed. He was a great player for us. But we also traded for a great player.

But he's progressed so far beyond what he was showing in Ottawa. Even though he was young in Ottawa, he had played a lot of games. The way broadcasters talk about him in terms of leadership and his amazing level of play is not the player that was in Ottawa even though he was very good for us.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lots to quibble with indeed. But, say you’re basically right on where he stands right now - would you then not say that Zibanejad plus Panarin could potentially be a one-two punch good enough to swing for the Stanley Cup - like Toews and Kane?

Need much more than that on the forward side alone - but looks like a great core. Then you can pray Shesterkin is what he’s looked like in 10 games, and that Trouba and Skjei are Keith and Seabrook. Order the champagne already!

I usually don't take at face value when someone tries to quote a post from months ago as if it's completely indicative of current opinions. But I actually don't think much would change from that list. Zibanejad is a very good player, but he's not one of the elite centers in the game. I think the difference between Panarin and Zibanejad compared to Toews and Kane at their prime is that Toews and Kane were better, and they also had a prime Keith and Seabrook on the back-end, let alone another HOF winger Hossa. I think that Hawks dynasty was much better than this current Rangers team.

Saying that, I believe that the current Rangers team could be good enough to get into the playoffs this year, and next year is likely a near certainty. The offense is well-above average due to an elite forward in Panarin, an elite offensive blue line with DeAngelo, Fox and Trouba, and then some pretty good complimentary forwards with Zibanejad, Kreider, Buchnevich, and hopefully some further development in the next few seasons from Kakko, Chytil, and a few others. The defense probably won't be much better than average, but if you have an elite goalie, that can solve a lot of the defensive problems, and I think Shestyorkin is already doing that.

However, I would not say that this group with the Rangers is anywhere near that Hawks dynasty. Maybe they could eventually compete for a Cup with the blueprint of a very good offense, and an elite goalie making a mediocre defense into an above-average one, but there are plenty of good teams in the NHL. Only one wins every year. It's not an easy task.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Zibanejad will want a huge raise in 3 years but until then his contract is an utter steal and he's a complete all around elite #1C. As a Ranger fan it's crazy to look at the stats and see we have two players with this many points already. It's crazy. I was so used to seeing our highest point producer being Zucc at 60 or Brassard/Stepan at a hair over 50. We now have two elite studs to build a forward core around. I think our team is already set up quite well and seem to have found their stride all together. Things are clicking now but it could very quickly change. Not to mention Gorton still has some massive declensions on what to do with Kreider,Strome,Fast, and DeAngelo. Also forgot to mention how high I am on Adam Fox.....what a f***ing player. He's, without a doubt in my mind, on his way to becoming our surefire #1D and most could already argue he is and it would be hard to disagree. Fox is an elite defenseman and he'll just get better as the years go along. Boy do we have something special brewing with this franchise. Gorton has done an amazing job. I think people underrate Jeff a lot and forget that Boston is still reeping the benefits from Gorton years later. He knows how to build Stanley Cup contenders.

Reactions: Andrei79

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Mika would have probably hit 100 its if he didn't get hurt. We finally have elite high end talent in Zibanejad, Panarin and Deangelo. Combine that with Shesterkin and major contributions from Kakko, Kravstov, Fox, Chytil and our first round pick this year the future is bright.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

How about that great 1-2 punch gets the Rangers in the playoffs first. Both guys are as good as they are ever going to get; AP is 28 and MZ soon to be 27. They have maybe a 2 year window. Toews and Kane both won their first cup at age 22 and their 3rd at 27.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

Zibanejad would either not have progressed the same in Ottawa (lack of desire) or would have been moved in a season or two anyway (money demands)... And Brassard played well for Ottawa in that season we acquired him.
Sounds like excuses to me. He did not light it up in Rangers first season either.

His game matured and he might done the same in ottawa.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Rangers have a very bright future with Panarin and Zibanejad split between their top 2 lines.

You can already see the improvement offensively this year and they might even squeak into the playoffs. 14 goal differential so far this year which would be a astounding improvement over last year.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Sounds like excuses to me. He did not light it up in Rangers first season either.

His game matured and he might done the same in ottawa.
He came out firing on all cylinders (though not at his current level) in each of his first two seasons as a Ranger. Both times he got hurt (broken leg and concussion IIRC) and was significantly less effective after returning. He had 15 P in 19 GP (64 point rate) in 2016-17 before his injury and 22 P in 24 GP (75 point rate) in 2017-18.

Last year he had his first full season as a Ranger with 74 P in 82 GP and this year he has been just as effective after his staple early season injury.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Knew this guy was going to be a true 1c. Was not too upset to see Brassard go at the time. Best trade the Rangers have made in awhile. 2nd best was for Adam Fox.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I really don't see where this narrative comes from. Seems like Zibanejad just needed to mature and put his game together, which is pretty common with young players. Why would he not be able to do this in Ottawa?

He re-signed in NYR for 5.35M per on a 5YR deal. Maybe it costs a bit more to re-sign him long-term to play in Ottawa versus New York, but anything from 5-6M hardly breaks the bank. We just re-signed White, a far worse player to a 6YR deal at similar money.

Also Brassard hardly played well as a Senator in his first year. Dude put up 39P/81GP playing beside Stone most of the year. Was better the 2nd year but was still outplayed by Zibanejad both years.

It was a horrible trade at the time it was made and it's only gotten worse. Sens gave up a legit young #1 center and all we have to show for it is Bernard-Docker, Gustavsson and Tychonick.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I really don't see where this narrative comes from. Seems like Zibanejad just needed to mature and put his game together, which is pretty common with young players. Why would he not be able to do this in Ottawa?

Well, I recall reading an interview from him stating that the trade was a wake-up call. When combining that with his lack of interest in offseason training while in Ottawa, as well as his in-season extracurriculars (DJ Zbad).... And that after the trade he suddenly seemed to want to enter camp in shape and train hard... It would seem that he needed a trade to see where he was going if things didn't change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad