Confirmed with Link: Zib Extension; 8 years, $8.5M per

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I hope I’m wrong on this, but I don’t think Zibanejad is going to age gracefully as a player and remain productive into his mid-thirties. I think his production falls off a cliff halfway through this contract.

This should at least put Eichel to NYR to bed. But it doesn’t seem like Drury was able to get a discount on term or AAV.
I love when people say this because they are basing their predictions off of literally nothing. Crosby has had more concussion issues and is in less shape than Zib and is still producing at a good level. Modern Technology and Science has proven in other sports already that it can push the limit on humans. You’ll see more and more players continue to play at a high level well into their 30s

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Again, 8 years is a lifetime in sports...who knows what the world things will look like by then. You deal with it when it comes up

I will repeat what I’ve said for years and what Larry followed up with:

Teams don’t fixate on salary 6 years down the line. A segment of fans do.

As for the deal itself, solid give and take by both sides. Rangers traded term for average, Zibanejad acquired security to stay in a place he has always supposedly loved.

It’s a gamble. But a manageable one.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think Zibanejad may still be knocking in some goals when he's 34-35 if he stays healthy.

He may no longer be a 1C, but I could see him still as a middle 6 NHL player into his mid 30s.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I love when people say this because they are basing their predictions off of literally nothing. Crosby has had more concussion issues and is in less shape than Zib and is still producing at a good level. Modern Technology and Science has proven in other sports already that it can push the limit on humans. You’ll see more and more players continue to play at a high level well into their 30s

My gosh lol, bash predictions based on nothing and then follow up with vague and speculative modern day technology and science.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Did the Terms come out yet?

Does he get the C with this?

Now the team goes to war and at the deadline it adds Larkin/Hertl/??? for a deep playoff run

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
this isn’t a terrible comtract. The term is too long, but the cap could get a huge boost in a few years.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I hope I’m wrong on this, but I don’t think Zibanejad is going to age gracefully as a player and remain productive into his mid-thirties. I think his production falls off a cliff halfway through this contract.

This should at least put Eichel to NYR to bed. But it doesn’t seem like Drury was able to get a discount on term or AAV.

The vast vast majority of players fall off a cliff in their mid 30's

Zibanejad is a good enough shooter that he might be productive as a goal scorer to some extent

I think paying him as a 1C but not elite 1C is about right. Fact is he has been an incredible goal scorer lately and huge offensive threat that the team needs as a 1C

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
That's a fine cap hit for a star center like him. The Rangers are betting on Mika being one of those mainstays that performs well into his 30s because of familiarity/comfort in his role and his place on the team. Like a Bergeron, where you don't expect his value to decrease as long as he is playing on the Bruins with his linemates.

He's been a great Ranger and thrilled to know he's here for the long haul. He'll raise a Cup here and we'll ever talk about years 7 and 8 again.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I will repeat what I’ve said for years and what Larry followed up with:

Teams don’t fixate on salary 6 years down the line. A segment of fans do.

As for the deal itself, solid give and take by both sides. Rangers traded term for a average, Zibanejad acquired security to stay in a place he has always supposedly loved.

It’s a gamble. But a manageable one.

Edge, as it stands now, we have to get rid of both Kreider and Trouba to fit in Laf, Kakko and Fox long-term, right?

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Can anyone tell me why this takes us out of the running for Eichel? A Zib-Eichel 1-2 punch at center could be great for years. Not worried about the cap - we can find a home for Kreider or Trouba in a couple years when the kids need to get paid. Part of me feels like Larry saying “this should quiet the Eichel talk” is just posturing.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Every single player ages differently. You can look at macro data and try to predict where his play will be in 8 years, but we just don't know. What we do know is that for the next 3-4 years we have one of the best centers in hockey playing for this team. Mika has become so consistent and his importance to this team cannot be overstated. $8.5MM AAV is a win. Last but not least, we can all stfu about Eichel now.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Fox, Kakko, and Kravtsov need extensions after this season, and Chytil and Laf need one after the following season.

This is only the beginning for Drury

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
People keep saying Zibanejad won't age gracefully, but I see no reason to think he will not be productive throughout the deal.

He has a fantastic shot, top tier in the league. That shot doesn't dissappear. So it'll be a weapon through the deal.

He also currently plays pretty heavy. If he is losing a step, cut some weight. He takes very good care of himself.

Concussion issues are overblown. When was his last one? Remember when some guy wearing 87 had those? Can't remember when he got one last.

We're talking about one of the top centers in the game. This isn't when they signed Stepan or when they were looking at Hayes signing. This is a different level of player.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Seems pretty good to me.

if they ever want to move it they’ll probably just call some other GMs for a favor like seemingly everyone else does in the league lol.

Reactions: Richard Banger

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Brilliant cap #. We got our #1 locked up for Panarin years. LTIR can be used if anything goes wrong on the backend. So much smarter than taking a risk on Eichel. Still have assets to play with if we wanna go trade route for Strome replacement.

Drury redeems himself after the disappointing Buch deal. Now it's up to Zib to perform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad