Zetterberg to the Leafs?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wings don't need to do it. Leafs would not be willing to make it worth while enough for it to happen. If it was someone like a Holland connection I could see it happening as a favor but that is about it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Can the Leafs offer something worth Yzerman spending the time to do the paperwork?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Can the Leafs offer something worth Yzerman spending the time to do the paperwork?

Full and unrestricted access to Phil Kessel's hotdog guy. Anything short of that and I'm walking.

phil-kessel-is-eating-hot-dogs-out-of-the-stanley-cup__120686_.jpg

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
HENRIK ZETTERBERG

Team: Detroit Red Wings
Contract: One year remaining, $6.08 million cap hit
Last Game: April 7, 2018
Scoop: The Red Wings announced in Sept. 2018 that Zetterberg would be unable to continue his NHL career due to a degenerative back condition. He’s remained a part of their salary cap structure for these last two seasons as the Wings have dug out of cap hell. They still needed to use LTIR space this season to ice one of the worst teams of the cap era. That is over now. GM Steve Yzerman has only a couple cumbersome contracts remaining and plenty of cap space to reshape his team. Zetterberg’s contract won’t do Detroit much good, short of getting back a pick or prospect for it. But the truth for Toronto is that with just $1 million owed in real dollars on Zetterberg’s back-diving deal, his contract might be worth much for a different budget-minded club in a cap crunch.

FOR THOSE TOO LAZY TO CLICK THE LINK.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Alright, explain like I'm 5. Why would the Leafs pay to take on a big contract like that? It's usually the other way around.

You can use LTIR to manipulate that cap if you're good at it. It allows you some roster flexibility.

Buyer beware though, a few teams have screwed this up. Ryan Martin did at one point when he was our cap guy, oh yeah he still is our cap guy... That will always makes me unhappy after that blunder, heck Tallon and some of his personnel got fired for building a cup contending and eventual champion for fubaring the cap...

I don't think we will do it, not that I really care to. Heck we might want Hanks contract ourselves if we aren't going to be big players in free agency and cut bait on a decent amount of RFA guys.

Reactions: Darkseider

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You can use LTIR to manipulate that cap if you're good at it. It allows you some roster flexibility.

Buyer beware though, a few teams have screwed this up. Ryan Martin did at one point when he was our cap guy, oh yeah he still is our cap guy... That will always makes me unhappy after that blunder, heck Tallon and some of his personnel got fired for building a cup contending and eventual champion for fubaring the cap...

I don't think we will do it, not that I really care to. Heck we might want Hanks contract ourselves if we aren't going to be big players in free agency and cut bait on a decent amount of RFA guys.

I don't understand why more people aren't upset about this than they were about signing the backdiving contracts to start. It is absolutely 100% bullshit to have a team go out and flex their financial muscle to go out and buy contracts from poor teams. Isn't the whole point of the salary cap that you provide cost certainty and a level playing field? Why exactly can Toronto surpass the cap? Don't they still have to be under the cap before the year starts even if the guys are going to go on LTIR?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Why wouldn't we do this? He will never play for Detroit or Toronto or anyone else in the NHL again. I would gladly take a 7th round over nothing for this...
Idk, would Steve Yzerman - lifelong wing and captain - make another lifelong wing and captain who still has some capacity in the organization no longer lifelong? Sure it's only a paper transaction, but I m willing to bet it's one Z would oppose.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Alright, explain like I'm 5. Why would the Leafs pay to take on a big contract like that? It's usually the other way around.

Basically they want to trade real cap space (an active player not playing up to their hit), for a player they can bury on the LTIR. The idea is that they can then use that to open up cap space. Its moving money from on the cap to off of it. And in return the team taking on the active player will usually get something in return, depending on the deal it sometimes has even been pretty good prospects or picks.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Basically they want to trade real cap space (an active player not playing up to their hit), for a player they can bury on the LTIR. The idea is that they can then use that to open up cap space. Its moving money from on the cap to off of it. And in return the team taking on the active player will usually get something in return, depending on the deal it sometimes has even been pretty good prospects or picks.
Gotcha. I was thinking there wouldn't be an active player involved.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Idk, would Steve Yzerman - lifelong wing and captain - make another lifelong wing and captain who still has some capacity in the organization no longer lifelong? Sure it's only a paper transaction, but I m willing to bet it's one Z would oppose.

A player's career ends when they retire not when their last contract expires. He's a lifelong Wing regardless of who own the right to his contract, much like Datsyuk.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
A player's career ends when they retire not when their last contract expires. He's a lifelong Wing regardless of who own the right to his contract, much like Datsyuk.
Either way I have a hard time seeing them do it. He has still been around the team, and I doubt he would continue in that capacity with his contract traded to another team.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Full and unrestricted access to Phil Kessel's hotdog guy. Anything short of that and I'm walking.

phil-kessel-is-eating-hot-dogs-out-of-the-stanley-cup__120686_.jpg

Phil Kessel is the John Daly of the NHL: a guy who looks like he would groan getting off the couch to get another beer, but still performs pretty well as a pro athlete.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I have to think Yzerman is considering this. As was mentioned prior, this is a meaninglessness paper transaction (in terms of Z), so it won't change his career or legacy (like Datsyuk, only without any more pro play).

Those of you that think Yzerman should be sentimental here must be missing Holland like crazy! If you get even an extra 7th for moving him, and you take a measured cap hit in return, why wouldn't you kick the tires? Unless Yzerman anticipates the cap space will be worth more around training camp or at the trade deadline, I don't see why he wouldn't consider moving meaningless paperwork for assets, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Phil Kessel is the John Daly of the NHL: a guy who looks like he would groan getting off the couch to get another beer, but still performs pretty well as a pro athlete.

No doubt.

I love that he went to Pittsburgh and thrived. Completely showing all those assholes in Toronto it was the team, not him.

He should have had the Conn Smythe in 2016. He got robbed there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am not going down this rabbit hole anymore than just to say the Ownership group according to several credible sources do not view Zetterberg and Datsyuk in the same light. So it isn't really an apt comparison and that is without the fact that when leaving early Milstein and Datsyuk openly campaigned for the dumping of his contract as a way to deflect some of the cap ramifications angering people. Though the Leafs won't care that they will have to pay him unlike the Coyotes. That isn't an apples to apples comparison for those making it.

With the final point being we are not hurting for cap space right now, it is a very very different situation.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dont remember this at all, when did Martin do that?

Z will have not played for a whole year in Detroit, as much as I like him being retired what he says shouldnt matter anyways. Like what does he say.. "Hey Steve, I know I'm done but I dont like the looks of that on paper transaction that could benefit you in the rebuild so dont do it". That would make him look like even more of an asshole than not being a life long wing.

It doesnt matter though because he would be a life long wing still, he would never set foot in Toronto probably

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The paper transaction just doesn’t seem worth it.

Not at all interested in helping Toronto with any of their cap issues unless we are getting a return worth anything.

If the best this gets us is a 7th round pick... it’s not worth it. Let Toronto go ahead and need to offer us Kapanen or Johnsson at a bargain basement price instead of us giving them a tool to hold onto their players.

It’s not anything sentimental for me. I’m not handing a rival a tool to keep their top heavy roster in order unless it hurts them some other way. Forgive me, but a low round pick means nothing. Wings only owe Z $1M. Toronto last year got a 5th for retaining some $250k on Clarkson.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00