Zetterberg not a first-ballot Hall of Famer....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Luongo gets in as a compiler. He was good for a long time with a couple peaks near greatness.

But none of the Vancouver guys really scream 1st ballot. Any defense of the Sedins involves “twins” which really shouldn’t matter.

But playing in Canada and it being neat to induct all 3 at the same time gets them in.

All I can say is Z better get in next year.
Luongo is not a compiler. Top 10 SV% ever with one of the highest GP ever. With over half his career on the Panthers.

I'll take the goalie that puts up .920 every year over the guys who run super hot/cold like Fleury, any day.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Luongo is not a compiler.
No personal hardware. No Stanley cup. A gold medal as starter. He was very good for a long time.

He’s basically the definition of a compiler. It’s what sets him above other goalies that are not in the Hall.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No personal hardware. No Stanley cup. A gold medal as starter. He was very good for a long time.

He’s basically the definition of a compiler. It’s what sets him above other goalies that are not in the Hall.
Edited that post to expand on my thoughts -

Top 10 SV% ever with one of the highest GP ever. With over half his career on the Panthers.

I'll take the goalie that puts up .920 every year over the guys who run super hot/cold like Fleury, any day.
Compilers would be guys who compile wins or games played.

You can only compile a top 10 SV% by being really f***ing good at stopping the puck.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Edited that post to expand on my thoughts -

Compilers would be guys who compile wins or games played.

You can only compile a top 10 SV% by being really f***ing good at stopping the puck.
But, it usually take some significant awards or medals to make the resume. Not just finishing high in the voting.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But, it usually take some significant awards or medals to make the resume. Not just finishing high in the voting.
He had .931 and .928 SV% seasons where he didn't get a Vezina. Kinda silly like how Shea Weber never won a Norris.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Luongo is not a compiler. Top 10 SV% ever with one of the highest GP ever. With over half his career on the Panthers.

I wouldn't want Fleury, either, but it's not because he's hot and cold, it's because he rarely elevated his game when he needed to. Sort of like Luongo. Lundquist, imo, is the same way. They both have higher floors than Fleury, but their ceilings never really got much higher than that, either. They were good goalies who made a name, imo, for their consistency. Which isn't a bad thing.

But if you're asking me to take a goalie for a playoff run from the Luongo/MAF/Lundquist era...I'm probably taking Price because that guy could elevate his game to a truly ridiculous level.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Luongo was the only worthy first ballot hall of famer in that bunch. Neither the Sedins nor Z should have been in this year. Mogilny should have been in, he was the first soviet player to defect, the first European captain and has enough team and individual accolades. Rod Brindamour should have been in as well. Zetterberg will go in and it will be well deserved, but I do like the symmetry of him and Datsyuk going in together.
Don't remember Mogilny's career all that much. From a simple glance at his stats, looks like he dealt with injuries consistently. But a 76 goal season?! Jesus.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I've always hated how for stat or historical purposes the Sedins are treated like 1 person. They're never referred to individually, always as the Sedins. As if they each have double the points historically because people treat them as an aggregate player instead what they actually were - two separate individual hockey players.

Zetterberg was better than each of the Sedins.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Not really true.
6 top 5 finishes in All Star award voting.
9 top 10 finishes in Vezina voting.
He was clearly among the very best goalies of his era.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I look at it less as raging against who is not in and more about celebrating who got in. I loved watching Sedin highlights back in the day. It is called the Hall of "Fame" and there are not many more famous iconic players of their generation. I think the HHOF wants to immortalize the fact that twin brothers that played on the same team went to the finals scored 1000 pointes each won back to back art ross together. And I can't blame them. Throw in the part where you can admit the goalie they played with and really throw a franchise a bone and its a pretty cool moment. Personally not going to let sour grapes get the better of the situation.

These players waiting they should really consider a make up year and do a one time induction of like 10 players. Or start making a special slot where someone needs to be out of the league 10 years to get to the make up players. There are players that deserve it that are not in.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Not really true.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not really true.
What part wasn’t true?

Top 5 and top 10 finishes are not winning awards. And I said he was very good for a long time.

Your statements confirm what I said. It doesn’t contradict it.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Your a coach, its a Game 7, late in the third, game is tied or you need to protect a lead. Who do you put on the ice? Zettererg or Henrik?

Answer is obvious, its Zetterberg.

Zetterberg always had another gear for big games, heart of a lion.

Sedins could never produce when it counted. Pure regular season wonders, abysmal when it counted. I can't stand them.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
When it comes to the Sedins, imagine 18 people in a room. They had not met in person for a couple of years due to covid. A guy like Burke gets up and pounds on the table and states this is good for hockey, this is good for Canada! I am not sure this year was very objective. They put some magical weight on "first ballot" inductees, often penalizing some even though they should be inducted. Shanahan was a good example how they would not induct him on the first ballot, but obviously deserved the accolade.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
What part wasn’t true?

Top 5 and top 10 finishes are not winning awards. And I said he was very good for a long time.

There are plenty of deserving Hall of Famers without individual awards. Not winning awards doesn't necessarily make you a compiler. I've never thought of Luongo as a compiler. He had a great career. He'll be considered one of the weaker goalie choices in the HOF but I believe he's a worthy inductee.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What part wasn’t true?

Winning one award isn't as impressive as being in the top 5 for half a decade.

Osgood is the classic compiler.
Lots and lots and lots of compilation stats (wins), but only one top 5 Vezina finish.

If you can't finish top 5 at your position with some frequency, how can you expect to be named one of the best of all time?

But you don't have to win the award. Because sometimes you've got a God at your position (Gretzky, Orr, whoever)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
In today’s society where every move panders to political correctness. I think it’s safe to say Theo Fleury will never get into the hall of fame. (Or even be considered)

You just have to read his book or scroll his current Twitter page. They would be too afraid of what he might say or do at the ceremony.

Which is a shame because he is a voice and advocate for child sexual assault survivors on top of all the greatness he achieved in Hockey.

I don't care about his view points. It is the HOF and he deserves to be there based on his hockey skills. Smallest guy basically in history and he played in an era that catered to behemoths trying to crush people and he not only survived he thrived in it. Bobby Hull and many others had questionable characters and they all got in the HOF. If you are worried about his speech, you simply cut him off the second he goes off the rails. The fact he did as well as he did, with all the other non hockey stuff that happened to him, is frankly kind of a miracle.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Winning one award isn't as impressive as being in the top 5 for half a decade.

Osgood is the classic compiler.
Lots and lots and lots of compilation stats (wins), but only one top 5 Vezina finish.

If you can't finish top 5 at your position with some frequency, how can you expect to be named one of the best of all time?

But you don't have to win the award. Because sometimes you've got a God at your position (Gretzky, Orr, whoever)

Ozzy also never got the respect that the other goalies did at that time. They always said well he is good because of the team, well how come the sucky Osgood was the one to replace the great Hasek in 08, which if hadn't happened we may not have gotten our last Cup? Osgood was always underrated. If all it took was being on a good team, how come Roy didn't win more in Colorado? They had a good team for the same stretch as we did, yet we won more, and Ozzy was there for most of it.

Is Datsyuk eligible next year?

Would be cool to see them get in together.

He is/was technically still playing. Even if in the KHL, players generally don't become eligilble until 3 years after they played last.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Ozzy also never got the respect that the other goalies did at that time. They always said well he is good because of the team, well how come the sucky Osgood was the one to replace the great Hasek in 08, which if hadn't happened we may not have gotten our last Cup? Osgood was always underrated. If all it took was being on a good team, how come Roy didn't win more in Colorado? They had a good team for the same stretch as we did, yet we won more, and Ozzy was there for most of it.

He is/was technically still playing. Even if in the KHL, players generally don't become eligilble until 3 years after they played last.

Because he is no better than Tom Barrasso of the penguins. He was on the right team at the right time and compiled a ton of wins due to the team he was on.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because he is no better than Tom Barrasso of the penguins. He was on the right team at the right time and compiled a ton of wins due to the team he was on.

He was much better than Barrasso.

Duane Smith

May 31, 2018
Why all the angst? Better players, like Mogilny, still aren't in. Zetterberg will eventually get in...but IMO he's not a first ballot guy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why all the angst? Better players, like Mogilny, still aren't in. Zetterberg will eventually get in...but IMO he's not a first ballot guy.

Because the Sedins got in. Z was better than both of them. I don't think any of the 3 are 1st ballot guys to be honest, especially when people like Mogilny and Fleury aren't in. Ozzy and Cujo both deserve in ahead of Luongo. People talk about compiling this and compiling that, yet Grant Fuhr is in and he really wasn't very good for most of his career. Fuhr won a Vezina (his only one) with 3.43 and .881 (19th best among goalies with 20 or more games) in 75 GP in 1988 which were bad numbers even then. Glen Hanlon (was nothing great) on our team that season had better numbers than Fuhr aside from wins The only reason he even had a shot was playing with Wayne Gretzky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad