Zetterberg and the Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
How though? Fedorov's career in a Wings jersey is better than Zetterberg's. Is it because he left as a UFA? Because that seems like a bit of a ridiculous reason to knock someone with a better career so far below someone he doesnt compare
I don't believe his relationship with the Ilitch family has really healed since he left in 2003.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't believe his relationship with the Ilitch family has really healed since he left in 2003.

It just seems like such a petty reason to hold against someone. Players leave. It's the biggest truth in sports. I can understand resentment at the time, but it's been 15 years, and doesn't change the value he brought to the franchise on the ice. I can maybe see putting more value on players who were lifelong Wings who were/are a bit more entrenched in the franchise. But at best that might move Zetterberg slightly ahead.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Agreed. Which is too bad. It was 15 years ago, let bygones be bygones.

It's easy to forget that Fedorov defected to come to Detroit. Not just left Russia, but defected from the Soviet Union. He was a massive part of Detroit's three Cup wins and one of the best players to ever wear the Winged Wheel. And though he left he was a Red Wing for 13 seasons. That's one less than Datsyuk and two less than Zetterberg (if he retires before this season).

I know there were the contentious holdouts and offer sheet, but he really deserves to have his number in the rafters before Z or Datsyuk. As far as I know he still lives in the Detroit area part of the year and considers it his home.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How though? Fedorov's career in a Wings jersey is better than Zetterberg's. Is it because he left as a UFA? Because that seems like a bit of a ridiculous reason to knock someone with a better career so far below someone he doesnt compare
Z’s captain and face of the franchise. Yes, contract holdouts and leaving as UFA plays into it too.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Z’s captain and face of the franchise. Yes, contract holdouts and leaving as UFA plays into it too.

He's only been the face of the franchise for the team's worst stretch in 30 years though. He was generally seen behind Datsyuk and Lidstrom for the majority of his career, just as Fedorov was behind Yzerman and Lidstrom. Captain is important, but again, he only got it after Lidstrom left. I can see how this stuff adds to his legacy as a Wing, and could vault him over Fedorov in a sense of being a "better Wing" moreso than "better career with the Wings", but I just can't see how it leaves Feds well behind.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's only been the face of the franchise for the team's worst stretch in 30 years though. He was generally seen behind Datsyuk and Lidstrom for the majority of his career, just as Fedorov was behind Yzerman and Lidstrom. Captain is important, but again, he only got it after Lidstrom left. I can see how this stuff adds to his legacy as a Wing, and could vault him over Fedorov in a sense of being a "better Wing" moreso than "better career with the Wings", but I just can't see how it leaves Feds well behind.

I agree here. Not like Zetterberg served as captain for 20 years, or was the first european to win a cup as captain. He basically took it over, the wings had a couple ok seasons and then they missed playoffs for the first time in 25 years. Its all about perspective I guess, Zettberg was a ridiculously good player and great red wing but theres a lot of them in the wings franchises hisory

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
But only a few get their jersey in the rafters. Z will be one of them.

He likely will be, but that doesnt mean the organization is completely correct on who gets retired and who doesnt. He will be the worst player in the rafters (not that hes bad obviously but the others are just that good) and will have the worst resume as a "great red wing" for being up there. One cup and captained the team to only one playoff series win I think. If he doesnt win the SMythe in 08 I would say there isnt a chance he goes up, or deserves toanyways. Now I'm ok with it but thats the hardest rafters to crack in the entire league

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Talent matters but Red Kelly who is a Leafs player isn't cracking the top 10. Sorry, I understand. I have in the past pointed out that he meets the qualification for jersey retirement in a big way. But I have been told by people I trust around the organization that is why he isn't consider for this. They aren't going to honor someone that isn't thought of as a Red Wings player alone. Even Fedorov really qualifies here as his dominant years were in Detroit and it is the first place you qualify him. Red Kelly was great in Toronto and Detroit, but the man himself identifies with Toronto first, credit to him he earned that right and the end with the Adams family was certainly bad. But still sorry it knocks him out of the top 10.

I mean we are not even discussing guys like Goodfellow who is one of four Detroit players with a Hart. There is a lot of history here at work, it is challenging to organize. But like I said the Wings have said they are going to retire him on multiple occasions. I guess maybe it doesn't happen and we can reevaluate, but the organization itself is about to slap top 8 all-time status on him so that is pretty important to this discussion.

No one ever brings up some other great HHoF Wings like Black Jack Stewart either.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Agreed. Which is too bad. It was 15 years ago, let bygones be bygones.

It's easy to forget that Fedorov defected to come to Detroit. Not just left Russia, but defected from the Soviet Union. He was a massive part of Detroit's three Cup wins and one of the best players to ever wear the Winged Wheel. And though he left he was a Red Wing for 13 seasons. That's one less than Datsyuk and two less than Zetterberg (if he retires before this season).

I know there were the contentious holdouts and offer sheet, but he really deserves to have his number in the rafters before Z or Datsyuk. As far as I know he still lives in the Detroit area part of the year and considers it his home.

The Fedorov debacle has so many layers to it though. Both sides contribute here, but yes I have never understood why this particular hatchet is so tough for the Ilitch family to bury.

Fedorov's defection was heavily invested in by the Wings at the time. Not only did they draft him, but they got notes to him and established a relationship. When he defected in Portland it was with Mike Ilitch's now former son-in-law Jimmy Lites actually going to the hotel and sneaking him out the backdoor. I think at times Detroit has gone to the well too often with this in their line of thinking but they didn't do nothing for him to get here, they have always felt they did a big part of that as a family.

Now with that said I believe Mike Ilitch also made the error of believing that he could establish a similar relationship he had with Yzerman with several players. It just isn't very likely, guys have different personalities. However, Fedorov and his agent knew exactly how Mike Ilitch was going to take a poison pill contract agreed to from a local enemy in Peter Karmanos. It was personally damaging, he matched it but quite clearly could never get over him having done that. There was some knife twisting that somehow became a part of what would take place in the future contract dispute and the problems surrounding Fedorov at the time were thrown aside with a cold business logic in my opinion.

Because in the dispute that actually led to Fedorov finally leaving I place almost all the blame on the organization. They twice pulled contract offers when Fedorov was clearly deliberating them. However, he had changed his agent, had just began to find out he had been robbed like crazy by his money manager and his relationship with Kournikova was entering the divorce phase. Obviously there was a lot going on in Fedorov's life at that point. But after the holdout and especially who he signed with, I think the Ilitch family didn't care. They basically dared him to leave after continuously throttling back their offer. It was a really bizarre negotiation. It was like nobody actually wanted to break up but they didn't want to have the talk on how to regain trust either.

I had hoped the Winter Classic provided a nice bridge and the dealings back and forth with CSKA. Devellano still gave it the no comment though as recently as this off-season. At this point I just don't think they are ever going to retire his number and that is a shame as I certainly think Fedorov deserves to hang in the rafters. For me nobody we currently talk about should go up before Fedorov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad