Zetterberg and the Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Heard on the radio the other day that he will probably not play this year and it was put into question today whether or not (soon to be) retirement is imminent.

I’ll repeat the question that was asked on the radio following that comment. Within the wings organization, where do you rank zetterberg all time?

Feel free to be sensitive to different eras as well.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes in that second tier of guys I think. Theres the all timers Yzerman, Howe, Lidstrom, Abel, Lindsay, Delvechio and Sawchuk (Kelly should be in the rafters too but isnt for some reason). After that theres that group of guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fedorov, Shanahan etc. Guys like Fedorov and SHanny might've been better at their best, but they also werent Detroit lifers either so as a wings that hurts his ranking a bit.

So I guess somewhere near the bottom of the top 10 or just a hair out of it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Just outside of the top 10. Howe, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Kelly, Sawchuk, Lindsay, Fedorov, Abel, Delvecchio and Datsyuk would be ahead. Then he'd be among Goodfellow, Ullman, Pronovost, and Stewart.

Reactions: exporta

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Just outside of the top 10. Howe, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Kelly, Sawchuk, Lindsay, Fedorov, Abel, Delvecchio and Datsyuk would be ahead. Then he'd be among Goodfellow, Ullman, Pronovost, and Stewart.

An understandable and unfortunate omission as he was robbed of half of his career: Vladdy.

As for Zetterberg, don't be surprised if he manages to play this year and then is done next year. Either he's legit going through his back problems or the front office is putting on a show to absolutely ensure that Zetterberg qualifies for LTIR next year.

As some DRW fans pointed out, it's suspicious that he was able to play every single game last year despite not being able to make practices.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
I would be both surprised and disappointed if Zetterberg does not play this upcoming season. He had a really good year in 2017-18 on a really bad team. If Rasmussen and Zadina both make the team, Z is one of the best players in the NHL to learn from. He's a consummate professional, and even if he can't practice, he's a workhorse. I really want to see him cross the 1,000 point threshold. He should reach that if relatively healthy.

Now, as far as where I rank him all-time? Top-10 without question. He's also Top-5 for me (with Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Delvecchio). He's scored a goal in all but 1 playoff series he's ever played. He holds the record of most goals and most points in a playoff season for Detroit. I love Fedorov and Datsyuk more, but he never left Detroit like Fedorov did, and he was more consistent start-to-finish (and playoffs) than Datsyuk was. He's #5 on my list.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
As for Zetterberg, don't be surprised if he manages to play this year and then is done next year. Either he's legit going through his back problems or the front office is putting on a show to absolutely ensure that Zetterberg qualifies for LTIR next year.
I think that this is the case, because earlier in the summer, it sounded like a sure-thing that he was going to play this season. I think that all parties considered, "well if he plays 'no problem', then next summer will be a challenge to LTIRetire, because we didn't make a fuss before." This sets an easy precedent to reference for upcoming cap relief. I think he plays until he hits 1,000, and then probably gets scratched for the last week of the season for back problems.

I think it's fair to say that, despite his successful surgery, he has mostly carried this team on his back for 2 years now. That can cause some pain lol.

Losing all of Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg over a span of 7 years is very sad. They all brought unique and entertaining talents that cannot be replaced. Lidstrom's seemingly omnipotent stick and omniscient brain, Datsyuk's flair to make defense look fun and keep you at the edge of your seat, and Zetterberg's ability to hang onto pucks and win battles with much larger opponents. They all were able to create something out of seemingly nothing. They could all thread the needle and make other players better.

Reactions: Sentinel

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Until I see proof otherwise, I'm still convinced that this is all an act to ensure LTIR eligibility for his retirement after the upcoming season.

He played 20min a night, and hasn't missed a game in 3 seasons. You're telling me he's suddenly unable to play?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There is no act! Why? Hossa came from out of nowhere with an allergy to freaking hockey equipment! Why do the Wings suddenly need to put on a show? Pronger was hired by the league eventhough still under contract and on LTIR as a player, again no show was made of it. So what makes the Red Wings have a need to ensure he is good for LTIR! Again I say, if Hossa is good to go for an allergy, literally any and all cases are acceptable!

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I would be both surprised and disappointed if Zetterberg does not play this upcoming season. He had a really good year in 2017-18 on a really bad team. If Rasmussen and Zadina both make the team, Z is one of the best players in the NHL to learn from. He's a consummate professional, and even if he can't practice, he's a workhorse. I really want to see him cross the 1,000 point threshold. He should reach that if relatively healthy.

Now, as far as where I rank him all-time? Top-10 without question. He's also Top-5 for me (with Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Delvecchio). He's scored a goal in all but 1 playoff series he's ever played. He holds the record of most goals and most points in a playoff season for Detroit. I love Fedorov and Datsyuk more, but he never left Detroit like Fedorov did, and he was more consistent start-to-finish (and playoffs) than Datsyuk was. He's #5 on my list.
An opinion is an opinion but there's no way Z is better than Fedorov.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Depends on if you're just assessing true value to the franchise. The organization is making pretty clear how they feel, as they have continuously said Z's jersey will be retired in recent years. It is a distinction they don't place on Datsyuk or Fedorov. So the Wings themselves seem to place him top 8 for what it is worth.

Pure talent wise, Fedorov is the most talented Wings player I have seen personally.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
If he's truly having issues with his back at this point in his career, then I'd say it's time for him to simply hang them up, focus on getting healthy, and enjoy retirement. Allow Larkin to have the "C" at this stage and allow the team to build around him (Kronwall should do so as well).

This way it opens up a couple more spots for more youngsters to get valuable experience (Zadina, Rasmussen, Svechnikov, etc.) and chemistry with those on the ice and learn from trial & error during this rebuilding process.

Reactions: Realgud

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
He'd be top 5 if he would have never got his back injured.

Dats is more talented but Z was more consistent, a bit worse offensively, better in the playoffs, better defensively and more valuable in general. But both would have been ranked equally in a perfect world with no injuries.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He'd be top 5 if he would have never got his back injured.

Dats is more talented but Z was more consistent, a bit worse offensively, better in the playoffs, better defensively and more valuable in general. But both would have been ranked equally in a perfect world with no injuries.

I like them both a lot, but I wouldn't so easily say he is better than Datsyuk defensively. Pav won 3 Selke's and easily could have won 2-3 more, and was one of the best puck thieves in NHL history, which is defence, essentially.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Fedorov is probably my favorite player of all-time, but as far as best Red Wings go, Zetterberg encompasses everything that a future Detroit player should strive to be. Fedorov was "better" in every aspect of the game, but Zetterberg is a better Red Wing. Had Fedorov never left the organization, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Reactions: newfy

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I like them both a lot, but I wouldn't so easily say he is better than Datsyuk defensively. Pav won 3 Selke's and easily could have won 2-3 more, and was one of the best puck thieves in NHL history, which is defence, essentially.

You're not necessarily wrong but Z was better in a shutdown role than Dats has ever been. Yes, him being a thief is a great defensive skill and more "flashy", but I think Z has been robbed of many selkes, but that's just me. The way Z played defense is the most effective way to win a hockey game rather than relying on obvious tangible factors such as hits, blocked shots and takeaways. All of those factors are, of course, important but much more straightforward than the impact of positioning, duels, stickwork, shutdowning the most dangerous guy on the other team and still outscoring him in the end (which aren't as easy to see on the stats sheet and trophy voting).

Both had a different way of playing defense, but one had a more effective shutdown style that worked better on the best offensive players, while the other had a style that was a nightmare for defensemen. Both are legends and I am super sad that this era came to an end...

Reactions: Oddbob

psycat

Oct 25, 2016

Fedorov is so overrated. Zetterberg's 07-08 is arguably better than anything Fedorov did, and Zetterberg is the more consistent player.

I mean he is below Yzerman, Howe, Lidström but other than that I could easily see a case for him being 4th.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Fedorov is so overrated. Zetterberg's 07-08 is arguably better than anything Fedorov did, and Zetterberg is the more consistent player.

I mean he is below Yzerman, Howe, Lidström but other than that I could easily see a case for him being 4th.
I don't see a valid argument that Zetterberg's '08 season is better than Federov in '94. Fedorov was a runaway Hart and Selke winner (Also Pearson) while finishing 2nd in points and 3rd in goals. In '08 Zetterberg was 3rd in Selke voting (lost to his own teammate) and only received a handful of Hart votes. He finished 6th in points and 5th in goals. It's really not a comparable season unless you include the playoffs which isn't really fair since the Wings didn't go on a deep run in '94 which wasn't Fedorov's fault since he was over a PPG in the playoffs.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Zetterberg has never had a Hart worthy season. His 07/08 is definitely not better than Feds peak.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I don't see a valid argument that Zetterberg's '08 season is better than Federov in '94. Fedorov was a runaway Hart and Selke winner (Also Pearson) while finishing 2nd in points and 3rd in goals. In '08 Zetterberg was 3rd in Selke voting (lost to his own teammate) and only received a handful of Hart votes. He finished 6th in points and 5th in goals. It's really not a comparable season unless you include the playoffs which isn't really fair since the Wings didn't go on a deep run in '94 which wasn't Fedorov's fault since he was over a PPG in the playoffs.

Well I confess that my reasoning did include playoffs, I mean in countless other threads people like to equate Crosby's Smythe's with Hart's of other players. Also Zetterberg missed a handful of games and in all honesty I don't see much difference in their defensive play(ie Zetterberg could just aswell have won a Selke or two) but sure still Fedorov probably had the higher peak but it's not some insane difference and Zetterberg, in my opinion, more than made up for it with consistent play- Especially if you, in the spirit of the thread, place value on his life long service for the Wings.

It's at the very least very arguable whetever Fedorov is a greater player for the franchise.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Maybe he would come back if Detroit didn’t have such a lousy team. There is no reason to jeopardize your health to battle it out for last place against Ottawa and Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad