Zero Americans and only one Finn in the “Triple Gold Club”

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The Triple Gold club is a very nice club for an individual to belong to, but tbh it is more of hockey strength at a national level thing, than the performance by the individual. You could possibly have someone being the best player in the world and never even sniff belonging to this club, simply because he comes from a nation that has pretty much zero chances to win a world championship at jr level and sr level.

Reactions: LT and Shocker

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Says more about the team than the individuals. In fact, this isn't really even threadworthy. Everyone knows that Team Canada wins a lot of gold medals.

Reactions: ShootIt

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I can tell this list is pretty insignificant because Hasek is not on it and he hard carried the Czech team to Olympic Gold

So, there's no way you could argue that Jiri Slegr has better international achievements. IMO if anything, triple gold should be Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold and World Junior Championship
No, a junior tournament should not be grouped with the two best things you can win in hockey.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
No, a junior tournament should not be grouped with the two best things you can win in hockey.
I don't disagree but at least the WJC is best on best in its category. The World Championships are just whoever wants to go whose team got eliminated from the playoffs.

The Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold are much more prestigious than any other championship in hockey. That I do agree with.

For example, if someone were to win two Stanley Cups and one Olympic Gold medal that would be more impressive than the triple gold listed in the OP

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I don't disagree but at least the WJC is best on best in its category. The World Championships are just whoever wants to go whose team got eliminated from the playoffs.

The Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold are much more prestigious than any other championship in hockey. That I do agree with.
My thing with the world juniors being elevated beyond its value is that it also has an artificial cap on players. What makes the U20 group more important than a U18 or U16 title? If a U22 or U25 were introduced, does that trump the U20? Current logic people use say yes.

I view it as the FIFA age group World Cups. It’s an achievement but no where near a senior level title.

I don’t even know if there is a third option to go with the clear top two at the moment. I’m partial to and very much like the world championships but I can understand why some don’t. The World Cup doesn’t even come too close, held too sporadically and under too many different rules and setups to be taken seriously.

Just my 2 cents. Fun to debate though.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Of the Canadian 2014 Olympic team, Carey Price is the only one who never played in the World Championships.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If the NHL had gone to the Olympics in 2018 and 2022 there would probably be a few more players on there. Assuming Canada won you'd have MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Marchand and... probably others. Kuemper as a third stringer in 2018? Either way, still no Americans.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If the NHL had gone to the Olympics in 2018 and 2022 there would probably be a few more players on there. Assuming Canada won you'd have MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Marchand and... probably others. Kuemper as a third stringer in 2018? Either way, still no Americans.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I can tell this list is pretty insignificant because Hasek is not on it and he hard carried the Czech team to Olympic Gold

So, there's no way you could argue that Jiri Slegr has better international achievements. IMO if anything, triple gold should be Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold and World Junior Championship

Problem with that is players only have so many years of eligibility for the WJC.

At least with the WHC you can be selected whenever.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
as an American it’s oddly refreshing to see America not being the best at something. Let’s keep it that way.
Especially humbleness. We are the most, gentle, soft-spoken, humble people on the planet. I wish we could toot our own horns sometimes.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Reason why there aren't many players in this club: If you're on a Cup contending team, you can't play for the IIHF World Championship.

You literally cannot win both in the same year.
This, and players would more readily cement their legacy against the best in the world on their pro team than win what's essentially a consolation prize (which also takes place during their off-season, but against competition that's clearly not the best). I mean gold is still gold I guess, but agreed it shouldn't hold the same weight (though the Double Gold Club doesn't seem nearly as exclusive if it was just SC and Olympic Gold, but I struggle to find an equivalent tournament that happens with enough regularity to warrant significance in a player's career).

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
When you look at who's a member of the "Triple Gold Club" and perhaps more importantly, who's not (no Gretzky, Hasek, etc.) it show's you the value of this achievement. It's more of a neat trivia question than a measure of skill of an individual player.

That no American at this point is a "member" is more a function of mismanagement by USAHockey and/or the team choking

Reactions: DaveG

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I'm not sure I'd go that far but Covid and the NHL's refusal to send in 2018 definitely cost the US their best shot at a gold since 2010.
Is "at least one" too far? haha

Guess I'm just pissed as a fan of the sport that we just got to see Shohei Ohtani strike out Mike Trout, but we'll never see Crosby and McDavid on a team in a best on best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad