Votes: 79 40.1%
  • Boldy

Votes: 118 59.9%

• Total voters

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wow, I’m pretty surprised by these results. I think recency bias, “intangibles,” and a better supporting cast are skewing these results. I’m taking Zegras 10 times out of 10 because of skill and upside. I think this poll will look pretty silly in 2-3 years.
Zegras become 1 of the more hated players on hfboards the last couple years. A lot of it is just people being salty that he has a personality and willing to try stuff on the ice most players wouldn’t be.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Any post like this that makes it seem like Zegras is just his highlights just shows they don't actually watch the games.
I agree. I'm discounting anyone's opinion who thinks either player is far and away better than the other. I'm guessing that down the road, both of these players will have similar impacts on the game when it comes to productivity. Because he's a center, Zegras will probably have the better playmaking stats and Boldy will lead in goal-scoring. I voted Boldy, but think its real close.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Really wanted Zegras when he started falling at the draft. Also thought there was no way Boldy would fall to us but was thrilled when he did.

Ironically these two would be a perfect fit playing together. Zegras is fast and skilled which Boldy's cerebral, possession game thrives with.

I don't love the linemate arguments against Boldy. He played most of this season with guys much worse than Troy Terry and Adam Henrique. Now he has linemates that I'd say are better overall, but he's also blowing past Zegras' numbers too. I think their production with similar quality players would be very similar.

Before the last month or so I would have still taken Zegras, but Boldy was just thrown into the same situation Zegras is in where he's on the top line drawing top competition every night, and expected to be THE guy, and he ran away with it scoring 14 goals and 21 points in his last 15 games.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Really wanted Zegras when he started falling at the draft. Also thought there was no way Boldy would fall to us but was thrilled when he did.

Ironically these two would be a perfect fit playing together. Zegras is fast and skilled which Boldy's cerebral, possession game thrives with.

I don't love the linemate arguments against Boldy. He played most of this season with guys much worse than Troy Terry and Adam Henrique. Now he has linemates that I'd say are better overall, but he's also blowing past Zegras' numbers too. I think their production with similar quality players would be very similar.

Before the last month or so I would have still taken Zegras, but Boldy was just thrown into the same situation Zegras is in where he's on the top line drawing top competition every night, and expected to be THE guy, and he ran away with it scoring 14 goals and 21 points in his last 15 games.

Zegras is out-producing Boldy and leading his team in scoring and plays on a significantly worse team. Zegras might be the Ducks only 60p player this year, let that sink in. Boldy is 3rd on his team and one of four 60+ point players. Zegras also gets less PP time on the Ducks absolutely anemic powerplay.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Zegras become 1 of the more hated players on hfboards the last couple years. A lot of it is just people being salty that he has a personality and willing to try stuff on the ice most players wouldn’t be.

This board has become a strange place in that flashy, skilled offensive players are often dismissed as selfish/cocky/lazy/unable to play defense. I would think that hockey fans would gravitate towards players who have tons of skill and are fun to watch. I get the issues with his personality, he definitely has some maturing to do, but that's not a reason to dismiss everything else.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
People really think Boldy being 4th in TOI/Game amongst forwards on the Wild is some offensive production sweet spot I guess. Zegras is flashy and has really good vision and puck skills but I think people underrate Boldy’s skill. Just as good as Zegras’ in my opinion.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Zegras is out-producing Boldy and leading his team in scoring and plays on a significantly worse team. Zegras might be the Ducks only 60p player this year, let that sink in. Boldy is 3rd on his team and one of four 60+ point players. Zegras also gets less PP time on the Ducks absolutely anemic powerplay.

Boldy playing the first 60 games of the season with Frederick Gaudreau and and a revolving door of wingers like Jordan Greenway, Marcus Foligno, Sam Steel and Sammy Walker is not the advantage you and some others think it is.

And as I said, when Kaprizov went down and Boldy was relied on to be the guy, he did better than Zegras ever has.

I don't care if you take Zegras over Boldy, but don't pretend like Zegras is any meaningful amount ahead of Boldy in terms of ability.

Reactions: Eegs

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Boldy playing the first 60 games of the season with Frederick Gaudreau and and a revolving door of wingers like Jordan Greenway, Marcus Foligno, Sam Steel and Sammy Walker is not the advantage you and some others think it is.

And as I said, when Kaprizov went down and Boldy was relied on to be the guy, he did better than Zegras ever has.

I don't care if you take Zegras over Boldy, but don't pretend like Zegras is any meaningful amount ahead of Boldy in terms of ability.

I don’t really think anyone has said that…. But boldy is in a significant better situation….. and was already the more nhl ready/mature player of the 2.

Zegras was always going to have a tougher time adapting to nhl based on how he plays and his on ice personality.

I think over the last 2 seasons their PPG is pretty close. It’s a good poll, and a lot of it will be based on how high people see the 2 ceilings

Reactions: MD93

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t really think anyone has said that….

Let's be honest, it's been heavily implied.

But boldy is in a significant better situation…..

Case in point, you bring these points up to try to discredit what Boldy has done this season, while simultaneously ignoring that Boldy had been playing with guys like Gaudreau, Foligno, Steel and Greenway for most of the season. That's not a "significantly better situation". And it ignores that when he was required to step up and be the guy on the team to carry the offense, he did what Zegras has only ever dreamed of with 14 goals and 21 points in 15 games. So the idea that he's only succeeding because he's in some vague "significantly better situation" is patently false.

and was already the more nhl ready/mature player of the 2.

Zegras was always going to have a tougher time adapting to nhl based on how he plays and his on ice personality

Boldy being the more mature and well rounded player is a point in his favor, not against him. Zegras has 51 more games than Boldy does in the NHL. Maybe it's time he figures it out.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

I never even commented on his linemates but he hardly spent any time with Steel, Greenway, Foligno and Walker all year at even strength. His most common linemates were Eriksson Ek/Johansson. Imagine making your argument for why you take Boldy then getting upset that I'm making an argument for Zegras, lol.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I never even commented on his linemates but he hardly spent any time with Steel, Greenway, Foligno and Walker all year at even strength. His most common linemates were Eriksson Ek/Johansson. Imagine making your argument for why you take Boldy then getting upset that I'm making an argument for Zegras, lol.

Johansson has been his linemate for a whole 19 games. Eriksson Ek, not much longer with that as he played with Greenway and Foligno for much of the first half of the season. Most of the season, Boldy played with Gaudreau at center and a constantly rotating group of wings on the other side.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Johansson has been his linemate for a whole 19 games. Eriksson Ek, not much longer with that as he played with Greenway and Foligno for the first half of the season.

You can look up the actual numbers as easily as I can.

Edit: unless I'm completely incompetent at reading the charts, which isn't impossible, lol

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Boss Johansson wasn't even on this team until a month ago and Ek wasn't put with him until after Johansson got here. Give your head a shake. You guys wanna talk about how no one watches Zegras outside of his highlights, and then you turn around and demonstrate entirely that you have no idea what's going on with the Wild this season.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
You can look up the actual numbers as easily as I can.

Edit: unless I'm completely incompetent at reading the charts, which isn't impossible, lol

Am I lying that Johansson has only played on his line for the past 19 games? It would be pretty difficult for him to play more than that since he was a TDL acquisition.

Reactions: Regal

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Am I lying that Johansson has only played on his line for the past 19 games? It would be pretty difficult for him to play more than that since he was a TDL acquisition.

Again, check the charts for most common even strength linemates. Like I say, I could be reading it wrong and if I am that's my bad.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Yeah, 168 minutes on a line with Ek and Johansson

Now add up the rest of the minutes not on that line.

96+70+54.5+49.5+47.5+39+35+32

That's 374 minutes off that line and that's only where the list stops, not where his time on ice actually stops.

So you'd agree that what I listed were his most common linemates are in-fact his most common linemates?

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Most common since March 3rd, a little over a month ago.

Right. The guy I'm talking with made two specific points about how Boldy is just dumping on Zegras for the past 15 games (roughly a month) and also that Boldy has a revolving door of not-so-great linemates. I'm pointing out that his excellent production directly coincides with him being placed with quality linemates.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So you'd agree that what I listed were his most common linemates are in-fact his most common linemates?

Well considering I can see, from just this chart alone, that he's spent 322 minutes with Gaudreau and 207 with Johansson, no I wouldn't agree that they're his most common linemates.

It's his most common line iteration. It doesn't mean it's who he's played with the most. Which supports what I've already said, that he spent most of his time with Gaudreau and a revolving door of bottom six wingers.

I would agree with what you said earlier though:
Like I say, I could be reading it wrong and if I am that's my bad.
unless I'm completely incompetent at reading the charts, which isn't impossible, lol

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Well considering I can see, from just this chart alone, that he's spent 322 minutes with Gaudreau and 207 with Johansson, no I wouldn't agree that they're his most common linemates.

It's his most common line iteration. It doesn't mean it's who he's played with the most. Which supports what I've already said, that he spent most of his time with Gaudreau and a revolving door of bottom six wingers.

I would agree with what you said earlier though:

In 20 games with Johansson he managed 207 minutes and the whole rest of the year he had 322 with Gaudreau. You're lauding his recent play dumping on Zegras, can you not see the correlation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad