Zegras - Unimpressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The reason for the Zegras ugliness :

During his first couple years, every time Zegras scratched his butt on the ice, we'd get posters putting clips on HF bragging about how great his butt scratching was. If you're going to do that, where everything he does is the 2nd coming of 99, there will be a backlash.

Less is more.
He's an objectively entertaining player, capable of things pretty much nobody else is doing. I haven't seen anyone comparing him to gretzky.

The only reason I see for backlash is envy or pettiness. He's a young kid who obviously has loads of talent.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He's an objectively entertaining player, capable of things pretty much nobody else is doing. I haven't seen anyone comparing him to gretzky.

The only reason I see for backlash is envy or pettiness. He's a young kid who obviously has loads of talent.
Fair enough. I just think the posters over did it with the praise and, as a result, there is a backlash. Again, less is more.

I am off for a swim. :)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

During his first couple years, every time Zegras scratched his butt on the ice, we'd get posters putting clips on HF bragging about how great his butt scratching was. If you're going to do that, where everything he does is the 2nd coming of 99, there will be a backlash.

Less is more.
There isn't a soul on this planet who ever said Zegras would ever come even close to 99. Exaggerate harder. I don't think we've seen sarcastic comments about comparisons to Jesus Christ.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
There isn't a soul on this planet who ever said Zegras would ever come even close to 99. Exaggerate harder. I don't think we've seen sarcastic comments about comparisons to Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ may have popularized moving quickly on ice (or at least walking on water), but Trevor Zegras has perfected it.

• Haha
Reactions: HanSolo

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
Zegras is not Jesus Christ, you heard it here. but I like him a lot and know I will never be able to get him on my fantasy team because he won't be given up

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think that's a bit high for him. My guess is between Boldy ($7M) and Hughes ($8M). $7.5M makes a lot of sense.

Not to disparage Boldy in the slightest but I think it would be fitting if Zegras contract came in around 1-1.5M higher.

Had he signed an extension before his final ELC season (like Hughes and Stutzle did) I would have guessed that Zegras would have landed somewhere in the 7s per year. Having waited to show the further improvement he has this season, I think that gets him up into that 8M or slightly higher range.

My specific prediction a few weeks back was 65M/8 (8.125M per).

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
There isn't a soul on this planet who ever said Zegras would ever come even close to 99.
Come on... you KNOW that is NOT what I meant.

As I said before, if you are going to praise the kid for every little thing he does, expect a backlash - and that is coming from a poster, me, who has never said anything bad about Zegras.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

As I said before, if you are going to praise the kid for every little thing he does, expect a backlash - and that is coming from a poster, me, who has never said anything bad about Zegras.
I mean first there's a difference between valid criticism and backlash. But regardless, no one is confused as to why Zegras is getting either. The thing is, just as people have a right to criticize him, fans have the right to call out when a criticism is over the top or incorrect.

(or that they're being patently deranged, like this guy who devoted an entire Twitter account to Zegras hate https://twitter.com/TrickshotMrchnt?t=FAbt9liCP3GlPpOXuI2Pfg&s=09)

Like of course I know that massively hyped players get heavily scrutinized by hockey fans. You can just look at Karlsson's first few elite season where there where 3-4 Karlsson threads going at a time. You know who populated those threads the most? Sens fans defending Karlsson against criticism. Like I don't see what you're getting at. Why is it so weird to you that Ducks fans are coming to Z's defense?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I mean first there's a difference between valid criticism and backlash. But regardless, no one is confused as to why Zegras is getting either. The thing is, just as people have a right to criticize him, fans have the right to call out when a criticism is over the top or incorrect.

(or that they're being patently deranged, like this guy who devoted an entire Twitter account to Zegras hate https://twitter.com/TrickshotMrchnt?t=FAbt9liCP3GlPpOXuI2Pfg&s=09)

Like of course I know that massively hyped players get heavily scrutinized by hockey fans. You can just look at Karlsson's first few elite season where there where 3-4 Karlsson threads going at a time. You know who populated those threads the most? Sens fans defending Karlsson against criticism. Like I don't see what you're getting at. Why is it so weird to you that Ducks fans are coming to Z's defense?
I like Connor McDavid but even I am sick of all the threads about how great he is. And, if I am sick of it, I can only imagine how people who don't like McDavid must feel.

For that reason, if McDavid ever went through a rough patch, I'd expect a huge backlash.

Re : "Why is it so weird to you that Ducks fans are coming to Z's defense?"

It's not weird, I just think they should let it drift - after all, this is HFBoards, the place where civility and human decency go to die.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I like Connor McDavid but even I am sick of all the threads about how great he is. And, if I am sick of it, I can only imagine how people who don't like McDavid must feel.

For that reason, if McDavid ever went through a rough patch, I'd expect a huge backlash.

Re : "Why is it so weird to you that Ducks fans are coming to Z's defense?"

It's not weird, I just think they should let it drift - after all, this is HFBoards, the place where civility and human decency go to die.
Sports fans aren't going to change. Doesn't matter what the sport is. One sect will be there to say a athlete isn't hot shit, the player's fans will come to their defense and say people in the first sect are dumb. You're wasting your time suggesting to Ducks fans that they uniquely cut themselves out of an inextricable part of sports fandom.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You're wasting your time suggesting to Ducks fans that they uniquely cut themselves out of an inextricable part of sports fandom.
I'm not suggesting that at all. If McDavid went thru a rough patch, and posters dumped on him, I have NO doubt there would be endless McDavid fans who'd come to his defense.

I just think it's a waste of time - just let it drift and either :

1) Zegras will play in a way that makes them eat their words;
2) They will lose interest and start dumping on someone else.

Anyway, I will give you last word I will let this thread "drift" from my life. :)

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022

You just said he is not Gretzky and that's bad.

• Haha
Reactions: ORRFForever

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Posters who love Zegras, love him a LOT.
They probably said the same thing about Datsyuk. The kid is pretty amazing, but people want to dump on him for silly, mostly made-up reasons. That's fine, but you can't detract from how good is he just because you don't like him. I think it's almost already safe to say he's a bonafide 1C.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010

Less is more.
He's only played 2 seasons plus 3 games. Would you be kind enough to show us an example of the butt scratching plays you're describing? Show me one example of anyone comparing him to #99. Should they have not posted last night's dish of the year, or defensive play of the year candidates? Troll thread is going to get examples of why it's dead wrong.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
...Would you be kind enough to show us an example of the butt scratching...
I have it on good authority that Zegras owns this restaurant...

1679014000309.png

Do you really think it is a coincidence there is a "Duck" on the sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad