Zegras - Unimpressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
as it stands, the Ducks are the worst team in the league, so they will probably be adding a young piece that will take some of the pressure to be the "main cog" off of Zegras

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We are literally the worst defensive team of all time at this point (GA wise). We never have the puck.... if you aren't impressed by a 21 year old putting up these numbers.... on this roster than I suggest you torture yourself through a single entire Ducks game.... any single one of them and see for yourself.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Hes a good player.. But needs to manage his anger issues.. He acts like a spoiled brat sometimes.. Ive been a die hard ducks fan since 95.. I must admit.. Z has A LOT of growing up to do.. Defensively he needs to put in more work.. It will come.. Ducks need a good coach to teach these young guys how to defend as a team.. The offense is there.

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
Elite player in the offensive zone with incredible vision and creativity, and will be able to quarterback a powerplay till the day he hangs them up. He's got a long, long ways to go in just about every other facet of the game, however. - A Kings fan

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Is he a good pick in the early 1st round? yes

Is he better then Jack Hughes like many people said in a poll a year or two ago? no

to be fair that was mostly just people here severely underrating Jack Hughes which doesn't really have anything to do with Zegras

he's lost polls to plenty of other guys that aren't anywhere near as good as Zegras is

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
Biased Ducks fan here.. I have to disagree with you and I couldn't be anymore impressed by the progression from him AND McTavish this season. It's hard to emphasize just how truly god awful the team is as a whole, and while the D is the most obvious eye sore, the forward group is just so, so bad. No speed or space being created or any real system seemingly going on after they spend shifts drowning in their own zone. He still finds himself a good chunk of open ice each game and with that looks to be a threat for a goal or highlight reel assist at least once a game.

Will he be a 100 pt two way transitional beast?? I mean very likely not. But I see no reason why he can't reach being a PPG+ offensive whiz, who is hopefully sheltered enough defensively and transitionally by great linemates to make up for any shortcomings while having an impressive highlight reel each season. It also helps that unlike a Patrick Kane type(not saying he will have a better career!!!!!!), he has a little more size and willingness to play physically. And I get that people are a little annoyed at his on ice antics or have some weird vendetta because some HF posters once claimed he would be better than 'player X', but I really hope he is embraced as a continued face of the NHL going forward because he has the charisma and personality that is devoid in seemingly 99% of NHL players, which is something we NHL fans often bemoan.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Elite player in the offensive zone with incredible vision and creativity, and will be able to quarterback a powerplay till the day he hangs them up. He's got a long, long ways to go in just about every other facet of the game, however. - A Kings fan

He's shown a lot of progression in those "other facets" compared to last year. Still a ways to go, but he seems to be figuring things out. Fewer bad decisions (with and without the puck) but my guess is those will never go away completely given his confidence and creativity. And that's ok.

He'll continue to develop and if the ducks ever surround him with more talent, he'll be really really good. All NHL caliber, though not generational. When you consider how bad the ducks are, his linemates, and how little puck possession they have, his current numbers are pretty remarkable.

I think the only long term issue for him (maybe) is the lack of size and strength. That hampers him on the defensive end. Right now, he's well above average at taking the puck away with his stick skills (i.e., in open ice) but that is not how you want to play defense and/or win puck battles.

As others have posted, he does have some maturity issues - mostly in his interaction with the refs. He needs to stop that or he will have a bullseye on him more than he already does.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
He’s not a superstar and never will be. He’s a top 6 player with a ton of skill who likes to play flashy. He’ll peak at 80-90 points a couple of times as a one dimensional player. He’s a poor man’s Patrick Kane

Reactions: MoneyManny

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
to be fair that was mostly just people here severely underrating Jack Hughes which doesn't really have anything to do with Zegras

he's lost polls to plenty of other guys that aren't anywhere near as good as Zegras is
To be really fair, if the poll was taken after JH first 157 games, he had 37G and 61 assists, which shouldn't lead anyone to believe he would certainly catch fire like he did. Zegras has 45G and 77 assists after his first 157. The kid is def cocky, but I'll take that over lacking confidence, and gripping the stick all day long. Both kids are fine young hockey players, and as silly as Hf can be at times, I've NEVER seen so much talk about a 9th overall 21 year old player being OVERRATED. If someone buys into media hype without watching a player, that's not the media's fault, it's their own fault. Guys his age or older selected 9th or earlier: Dach, Turcotte, Kakko, Svech, Kravtsov, Kotki, Hayton, Zadina, Hischier, Patrick, Glass, Lias A, Mitts, Rassmussen. Where dey at???? Last point I'll make is replace Derek Grant with Jesper Bratt, and put Zegras on the leagues 3rd best team instead of a team dead last with a -101 goal differential, and I'd bet dimes to donuts he has even better stats than he has now.

Last edited:

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
He's relative xGF% is Bergeron tier. His defensive play is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. If anything, it's above average for a very young offensive player.

His team just happens to be a complete disaster, so even with him being ridiculously dominant compared to his teammates he's just treading water.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
To be really fair, if the poll was taken after JH first 157 games, he had 37G and 61 assists, which shouldn't lead anyone to believe he would certainly catch fire like he did. Zegras has 45G and 77 assists after his first 157. The kid is def cocky, but I'll take that over lacking confidence, and gripping the stick all day long. Both kids are fine young hockey players, and as silly as Hf can be at times, I've NEVER seen so much talk about a 9th overall 21 year old player being OVERRATED. If someone buys into media hype without watching a player, that's not the media's fault, it's their own fault. Guys his age or older selected 9th or earlier: Dach, Turcotte, Kakko, Svech, Kravtsov, Kotki, Hayton, Zadina, Hischier, Patrick, Glass, Lias A, Mitts, Rassmussen. Where dey at???? Last point I'll make is replace Derek Grant with Jesper Bratt, and put Zegras on the leagues 3rd best team instead of a team dead last with a -101 goal differential, and I'd bet dimes to donuts he has even better stats than he has now.

if you only looked purely at the points he was putting up maybe, but if you watched him at all it was always incredibly obvious that Hughes was going to be a superstar eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad