Zegras-McTavish

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Zegras is on his way to superstardom, McTavish could be even better and Drysdale is unsung by compare.

But Zellweger might get 9, and Mintyukov is at least a year away from maybe getting his 9, neither are close to being impact players over a full season.

They were just sellers at the deadline. I kind of think they got Klingberg for a year as an additional layer of insulation for Zellweger and to an extent Drysdale.

Ducks will be better but I still don’t see them being good, they should stay the course for another year or maybe two and rely on growth.
Since this is also about McTavish, what strikes me about him is he's not quite as much of a high involvement player as Zegras. Zegras is a guy that if he had his way he'd control the play for his entire shift. McTavish spends more time reading the situation and acts when he determines it's best to. It doesn't lend to quite as high of a superstar outlook in his game, but his execution, decision making are terrific and he's likely going to grow into a player physically stronger when possessing the puck than Zegras, so I could still see him being an 80+ point player if everything goes right.

I would like to see him get a little more of that play pushing instinct in him though.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
In 2006-07, Crosby was 19, Malkin was 20. Zegras was 20 for most of last season

2007 Crosby - 79GP, 36G, 120PTS
2007 Malkin - 76GP, 33G, 85PTS
2022 Zegras - 75GP, 23G, 61PTS

Soooo no. Not quite. Some perspective: Zegras as a rookie put up basically the same numbers as William Nylander did as a rookie but in a much higher scoring league. Nobody loves Nylander as much as I do, but he's also not Sid or Malkin lol.
Look at the top scorers of that Leafs team and compare it to the Ducks.

Z will not be Sid and no one is expecting that, the OP is a troll.

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
Look at the top scorers of that Leafs team and compare it to the Ducks.

Z will not be Sid and no one is expecting that, the OP is a troll.

The teammates argument is kinda double edged because being on a bad team gives you more time on ice, gives you more opportunity to point-suck and be the focal point of the play. And again, scoring has gone way up since then. They also didn't force Zegras onto the wing and stifle his offensive play like the Leafs have done for six years misusing Nylander. Zegras may one day be as good as Nylander, but he's still a long way from this thread being worth entertaining.

• Haha
Reactions: bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The teammates argument is kinda double edged because being on a bad team gives you more time on ice, gives you more opportunity to point-suck and be the focal point of the play. And again, scoring has gone way up since then. They also didn't force Zegras onto the wing and stifle his offensive play like the Leafs have done for six years misusing Nylander. Zegras may one day be as good as Nylander, but he's still a long way from this thread being worth entertaining.
Zegras made Milano look like a NHLer. That's all I need to know about Zegras season. Milano is the main reason his numbers aren't better, I never seen such a terrible defensive player in a while. Zegras would spend many shifts chasing in the D zone because Milano is flying or doesn't feel like laying a finger on anyone.

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
Zegras made Milano look like a NHLer. That's all I need to know about Zegras season. Milano is the main reason his numbers aren't better, I never seen such a terrible defensive player in a while. Zegras would spend many shifts chasing in the D zone because Milano is flying or doesn't feel like laying a finger on anyone.

The Ducks allow 2.58 xGA per 60 minutes with Trevor Zegras on the ice, and 2.39 xGA per 60 with Zegras and Milano.

• Haha
Reactions: ff8

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Noone is saying you should entertain the OP. He is trolling. Literally not one Ducks fan thinks he will be Sid.

Reactions: bsu

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
What a take

It's not really a take, that's not a meaningful difference, it's just that you'd think there'd be some sort of evidence that Zegras is having to carry Milano defensively and there just isn't.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
It's not really a take, that's not a meaningful difference, it's just that you'd think there'd be some sort of evidence that Zegras is having to carry Milano defensively and there just isn't.
I mean I'm not going to argue with someone that doesn't want any Duck games most likely. They were terrible last year and no one stayed up watching them. With your logic though you should watch games with advanced stats instead of people actually playing. Like a NHL 22 simulation. He carried Milano all over the ice and now he's a free agent with not much interest from what I've seen. Can't wait til Zegras gets some real NHL talent next to him.

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
I mean I'm not going to argue with someone that doesn't want any Duck games most likely. They were terrible last year and no one stayed up watching them. With your logic though you should watch games with advanced stats instead of people actually playing. Like a NHL 22 simulation. He carried Milano all over the ice and now he's a free agent with not much interest from what I've seen. Can't wait til Zegras gets some real NHL talent next to him.

You're incoherent, making random accusations, and don't know what you're talking about.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
He's more interesting to the casual fan or even non-fans than probably anyone else in the league. Hockey is a business and he's marketable as hell.

Yep and it's not even because of his play either, dude just has the Cali f*** boy look that sells to younger audiences.

He's nowhere near as entertaining to watch than McDavid or Makar, but he looks like a bonafide TikToker so the NHL is going full buy on the hype.

Reactions: thrillermiller89

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yep and it's not even because of his play either, dude just has the Cali f*** boy look that sells to younger audiences.

He's nowhere near as entertaining to watch than McDavid or Makar, but he looks like a bonafide TikToker so the NHL is going full buy on the hype.
He’s more entertaining to watch than McDavid or Makar. Not as good of course

Reactions: ff8

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
He’s more entertaining to watch than McDavid or Makar. Not as good of course

How, because he pulled a couple moves in a couple games?

McDavid is a 6'1 dude who skates end to end while dangling between 5 players multiple times a game. He's done everything Zegras has ever done and highlights wise and then some, and on a game to game basis it's ridiculously in McDavid's favor.

If physical marketability is ignored and we talk purely hockey, it's really not close even for casual fans. McDavid legit looks like he's playing against junior players multiple times every single game, that stuff is mesmerizing.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
And you're hoping to be taken seriously with this debate tactic?
Whenever someone tries to look cool doing that online I literally just block them. Luckily around these forums it doesn't happen as much as in other places. Laziest form of trolling there is.

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
Zegras is the least accomplished NHL cover athlete of all time. Talk about overhyped, more we’re comparing them to Crosby/Malkin… jeez
Literally 1 person who was clearly trolling compared them lmao get outta here

ff8

Aug 25, 2022

McDavid is a 6'1 dude who skates end to end while dangling between 5 players multiple times a game. He's done everything Zegras has ever done and highlights wise and then some, and on a game to game basis it's ridiculously in McDavid's favor.

If physical marketability is ignored and we talk purely hockey, it's really not close even for casual fans. McDavid legit looks like he's playing against junior players multiple times every single game, that stuff is mesmerizing.
None of what you’re saying about McDavid is wrong, but if you really don’t think he’s entertaining to watch you’re either being disingenuous or you’re blind. It’s a f***ing video game cover and yeah he did some “dumb” trick shots but he actually has a personality so of course they’re running with it. Anyone genuinely surprised or upset by this is just looking for something to bitch about

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Mcdavids problem is his personality…. He is awkward and boring af. Same could be said about matthews.

I think people are misunderstanding what game cover athlete is…. You got a lot of people talking bout best hockey player, but we already give out awards for that. The cover athlete is someone who the game/league find marketable…. Guess what zegras checks all those boxes…. The league pushed him into the all star event because they find him so marketable…. And he pretty much the only memorable part of the event…. It’s crazy to me that people comprehend why they’d use zegras for this.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As a Ducks fan, I'll be more than happy if they reach the level of Bergeron/Krejci.

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Maybe if they get married. But they should probably just pick one instead of being snobby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad