Zegras gets an illegal stick penalty for stealing an opponent’s stick

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When you have refs that suck, and are more concerned with game management than the rulebook, you get players who think they can get away with this blatant nonsense.

Reactions: Realgud

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Chill dude. If anything I’d be more embarrassed to be Kiviranta letting his stick be taken right out of his hands.
Yeah, the embarrassing part is another player grabbing your stick and pulling it from you...

Was it funny? Yeah. But he's also lucky the ref wasn't an ass back to him.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Yeah, the embarrassing part is another player grabbing your stick and pulling it from you. Sure, bro.. Sure...
Any coach I had in AA/AAA would’ve had any player that let that happen to their stick doing line sprints or bag skates to start next practice. Coaches hate it when their players are soft when dealing with this type of “you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying” stuff. They’d be more mad about this than they’d get over letting hard passes explode off your blade upon receiving it because you weren’t ready/holding your stick right.

If you’re in a scrum where the ref doesn’t see another player knock your stick out of your hands because you’re not paying attention and then that player scores a goal because you can’t stick check them, are you just going to whine to the refs? Is an NHL coach going to give you a pass? Bobby Ryan did it much smarter than Zegras and scored a goal with the wrong stick for crying out loud.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I would have thought that would be an unsportsmanlike penalty.

No issue with the call, you can't do that. Full mark for effort though.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Chill dude. If anything I’d be more embarrassed to be Kiviranta letting his stick be taken right out of his hands.

He drew a penalty, why would he be embarrassed? If a guy on the other team was trying to take my stick out of my hands and the official was right there watching, I'd let him have it.

To paraphrase an American colonel after the battle of Bunker Hill, "I'd be happy to sell him another stick at the same price."

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Any coach I had in AA/AAA would’ve had any player that let that happen to their stick doing line sprints or bag skates to start next practice. Coaches hate it when their players are soft when dealing with this type of “you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying” stuff. They’d be more mad about this than they’d get over letting hard passes explode off your blade upon receiving it because you weren’t ready/holding your stick right.

If you’re in a scrum where the ref doesn’t see another player knock your stick out of your hands because you’re not paying attention and then that player scores a goal because you can’t stick check them, are you just going to whine to the refs? Is an NHL coach going to give you a pass? Bobby Ryan did it much smarter than Zegras and scored a goal with the wrong stick for crying out loud.
Yeah I'm sure Anaheim coach is praising Zegras for taking a dumb penalty. How is someone soft for not expecting a player to steal the stick out of their hands lol. Tell me you are a Zegras fan without telling me you are.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

It's 2023. He wasn't soft. The player ripped it out of his hands. And it got a penalty. But hey, go tell your coach you prefer to hold your stick and look tough instead of getting the powerplay.

Bobby Ryan didn't rip a players stick out of his hands. Bobby Ryan picked up a loose stick after his stick was taken from his hands.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Hilarious, thanks for posting OP!

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The only issue is he had the audacity to whine about the penalty call!

Otherwise a simple minor penalty and rather entertaining.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The only issue is he had the audacity to whine about the penalty call!

Otherwise a simple minor penalty and rather entertaining.
Embracing his villain arc…. Any good villains in the nhl act innocent when doing something dumb .

See tkachuk perry Marchand etc

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

No more mystery

Disagree, this just opens up new mysteries. How does he not know holding your opponent's stick is a penalty? He must know it's a penalty when the other guys is still holding it, why would it stop being a penalty when you pull it out of his hands?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad