Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I think he'd get more than $3M from more than a few teams. He's notoriously cheap, so I don't think he would take any kind of meaningful discount.

$4.5M (one year deal) for a leader with vast experience and the ability to shut down other teams' stars. Maybe a number 4 defenseman. Seems fair.

Bruins have leadership in others .Chara is cooked.Let Lauzon play who is physical and ready to play in NHL.Chara is blocking faster younger and cheaper options.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This narrative that he was exploited in the playoffs last year is f***ing hysterical

He’s not done. And he’s not even close to being a liability. He isn’t what he once was but he’s 40, that’s not surprising. I still see an effective player and an important leader.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think people are forgetting he's coming off a knee injury and missed 5 weeks. At his age there's going to be a lot of rust to get off.

The silver lining for me is he's got 5 weeks less wear & tear on his body and that could help him (and the Bruins) later in the season when he usually plays insane minutes.

I get that and I mean no slight to him to say he's older and slowing down. I simply mean it factually since it's true. I'm more than fine if he wants to resign here, depending on the price and term. I'm hoping he goes year to year in a series of one year contracts rather than see the team extend him for multiple years. The term is key though. I wouldn't give him $5mill like he's getting now. I'd offer him $4 a year and slowly ease his load over the next season or two.

Reactions: CDJ

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Chara slow

Blah blah

We’ve been saying it for about 10 years now.

The issue has never been Chara, he brings far more to this team than he takes away with lack of speed and mobility. He’s the biggest player in the history of the nhl, he’s played over a thousand games, will be seen as one of the best bruins defensemen of all time, one of the most dominant defensemen of all time, and possibly the most dominant overall in the lock out era

The issue has always been the players that compliment eachother, we had zero speed on our defense for years. Now we have a lot, but it’s coming from a lot of younger players, some of which are small and can get knocked around

Chara’s Gonna Chara, how about everyone else do their job and support the guy while he shakes off the rust eh?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I get that and I mean no slight to him to say he's older and slowing down. I simply mean it factually since it's true. I'm more than fine if he wants to resign here, depending on the price and term. I'm hoping he goes year to year in a series of one year contracts rather than see the team extend him for multiple years. The term is key though. I wouldn't give him $5mill like he's getting now. I'd offer him $4 a year and slowly ease his load over the next season or two.

The Bruins have been trying to ease his load for the past 3-4 seasons but with injuries & the failure of others to step up Chara ends up carrying the load. I don't see that changing tbh.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
He can play as long as he wants. He's the Captain. And I love him dearly for it, regardless if Bergeron's the heir or not...

I just don't want to see his legacy tarnished by being to too old to play. But recognizing that he's in greater shape than most of us have ever been in our lives, that's gonna be his call, easily.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
He can play as long as he wants. He's the Captain. And I love him dearly for it, regardless if Bergeron's the heir or not...

I just don't want to see his legacy tarnished by being to too old to play. But recognizing that he's in greater shape than most of us have ever been in our lives, that's gonna be his call, easily.

I would agree 100% if we didn't have a salary cap. I love the big man but struggle with him making 6.5 or more next year. I hope he agrees to take a pay cut otherwise Neely and Sweeney are going to have to make a tough decision.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
He'll take a cut for the team. I believe so anyway.

He's made 5 off of this one year deal, correct? I can't imagine he's gonna force the issue for a raise when he knows the team's cap is high. At least, i'd hope he wouldn't anyway

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

He's made 5 off of this one year deal, correct? I can't imagine he's gonna force the issue for a raise when he knows the team's cap is high. At least, i'd hope he wouldn't anyway

A raise? He better get a 3 million cut.He is a pylon.Wait till another off season if you think he slow now.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
This narrative that he was exploited in the playoffs last year is ****ing hysterical

He’s not done. And he’s not even close to being a liability. He isn’t what he once was but he’s 40, that’s not surprising. I still see an effective player and an important leader.
I am a HUGE Bruins fan and have loved what Chara used to bring to this team. He needs to retire at the end of the year. When Big Mac returns, I would limit his playing time to 15-17 mins top a night. He consistently loses one on one battles in the defensive zone now, his straightaway speed is below average now and I would wager that if you put him one on one with any average NHL forward they would blow by him now.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario

he's made 6.5 this year.

Reactions: Krupp

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Unless he decides to retire, gotta believe he'll be back next year. He absolutely can still be an effective top 4 guy. $4 million-ish for what he brings is more than fair.

As a side note, I hope he comes back. I'd personally like to see him gety to 1000+ games played with Boston, as he's sitting at 917 currently.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Bs D misses Z more when he is out than Charlie when he is out (not a shot at Charlie). Chara might not be as mobile as he once was and doesn't move the puck as he has in the past, but he is still very effective in many aspects of the game. He brings something that no other Boston defenseman currently brings on D.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Its impossible. Chara won Stanley Cup as a Bruins captain.

But Ray did bring the Colorado's cup back to city hall boston. Z winning the cup in his prime and turning the Franchise around is something I will forever cherish.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm worried about the big man. Since coming back from his knee injury he hasn't looked good at all.

If his mobility is going to be limited the rest of this season, hard to see them going on a run to a cup well into June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad