Former Bruins Zdeno Chara Appreciation Thread

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
As soon as he announces his retirement they better be setting a date for an evening celebrating him and Tuukka that ends with both 33 and 40 going up into the rafters. IMO that is the only proper send off.

Them 2 and Bergy are the only modern Bruins I can see hoisted up. Depending how their careers end maybe Marchy and Pasta. Im thinking Marchy is a yes tho.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Frankly I want to see him and Thornton on top of the all times game played list. Think he’s 100 short, Thornton a few less.

He’s still an effective nhl player.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
125 hits, 90 blocks, 14 pts, tied for goals with Foligno, 2nd on his team in +/- this season, and played nearly 19 mins a game. Old Z still can play in the NHL if that is what he desires.

When he does retire he will immediately replace Timmy as my favorite retired Bruin since Orr, that is unless Bergy retires first.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
My only regret if he retires is that with a new baby coming in the summer, it will be absolutely impossible for me to travel from Europe and attend his jersey retirement (probably wouldn’t be able to get tickets to that anyway, but it would be a dream come true).
But I sure hope they can find some role for him the organisation.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
My only regret if he retires is that with a new baby coming in the summer, it will be absolutely impossible for me to travel from Europe and attend his jersey retirement (probably wouldn’t be able to get tickets to that anyway, but it would be a dream come true).
But I sure hope they can find some role for him the organisation.

Bruins don't usually retire the jersey until after the player is in the Hall of Fame, and that takes at least 3 years.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Bruins don't usually retire the jersey until after the player is in the Hall of Fame, and that takes at least 3 years.
I have a chance then. But wasn’t Bourque’s jersey retired right after his retirement (following season)? It’s not like there is any doubt about Chara making the HHOF, unlike someone like Neely or Middleton (who after all had his jersey retired despite not being a hall of famer). You really think they will wait 3 years with raising 33 to the rafters?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Strength and conditioning coach :D

Again, I don't see Z immediately jumping into an NHL management role, even less a coaching role, though I know you're kidding here.

He's so bright, speaks five languages, and is always -- always -- looking to improve himself, seek challenges, and prove doubters wrong.

I think he might do something on the business side, in the hockey world or elsewhere. I'm certain he has kept an eye on Shawn Thornton's post playing career in FLA.

Love the Big Man, and look forward to his B's number retirement and attendent celebration. I also hope he maintains a presence of some kind in Boston going forward.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I have a chance then. But wasn’t Bourque’s jersey retired right after his retirement (following season)? It’s not like there is any doubt about Chara making the HHOF, unlike someone like Neely or Middleton (who after all had his jersey retired despite not being a hall of famer). You really think they will wait 3 years with raising 33 to the rafters?
Bourque was early, but they had a terrible team and needed to sell tickets. Not sure what they'll do with Chara.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
As soon as he announces his retirement they better be setting a date for an evening celebrating him and Tuukka that ends with both 33 and 40 going up into the rafters. IMO that is the only proper send off.

That's an intriguing suggestion. On one hand, I'd like Z to have his big night solo, because he deserves to bask in the glow of fan/teammate/management affection by himself.

(Even at its nadir under Jeremy Jacobs and Sinden/OC, the Boston Bruins organization has always done an excellent job celebrating and commemorating the greats who have played here. I expect nothing less per Z.)

Then again, it would be a classy move to honor Tuukka as well. Note that I didn't use the word "appropriate" or the phrase "no brainer" there.

Even for me, not a Rask hater but sometime critic, Tuukka continues to evoke an ambivalent response. His time in Boston remains controversial, even now, with the benefit of hindsight. All I need to know about Rask as a person, if not a player, is contained in Shawn Thornton's highly readable "Fighting My Way to the Top" (with an assist from Dale Arnold). If "Thornty" endorses Tuukks or anyone else, they're okay in my book.

Somewhat strangely, Rask and Thornton hit it off immediately and became great friends. They even bought a boat together, with interesting results, as some of you may be aware.

In the event, come home, Big Man, we've got a party for you. And you, too, #40.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Them 2 and Bergy are the only modern Bruins I can see hoisted up. Depending how their careers end maybe Marchy and Pasta. Im thinking Marchy is a yes tho.

I took a very, very quick look at the stats and if Pasta stays here and plays into his late 30’s and remains relatively healthy, he’s pretty sure to end up in the top 2-3 for goals as a Bruin.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'd love to see him retire a Bruin. He never should have had to leave. You don't treat your Captain, the man who did more than anyone to restore credibility to this franchise and who changed team culture into what it is today the way the Bruins front office did.

Thank you Big Z, it was one hell of a ride.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'd love to see him retire a Bruin. He never should have had to leave. You don't treat your Captain, the man who did more than anyone to restore credibility to this franchise and who changed team culture into what it is today the way the Bruins front office did.

Thank you Big Z, it was one hell of a ride.
Patrice is a treasure, as was Z,

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad