Former Bruins Zdeno Chara Appreciation Thread

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I would start this off with something, but I can’t right now. Part of it is because I’m angry. And part of it is because I don’t have the time it would take to do any justice. How much I appreciate Chara and the time he spent here - hell right up through his message to Boston fans upon leaving? Too much for a simple discussion board post.

Big Z? We love you. And thank you.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’ve been through this with enough guys now that I’m numb to it.

Bledsoe

Pedro

Brady

This just feels like another one. As I stated in the Z thread, EVERYTHING changed when they signed he and Savard. This organization was a gong show.

Z was the nuts. Heart of the organization.

Not a fan of how it ended, but so few guys get the John Elway storybook ending.

Love ya, Z.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Zdeno-Chara-795x485.jpg

Zee was a fantastic Bruin and by all accounts a fantastic captain.

I'm glad the Bruins had him at his best, and that he has his name on the Cup as Bruin.

I'll miss him. And I hope he's in the rafters at the Garden soon.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I am in complete disbelief. The man embodies everything that a professional should aim to be. His hard work and dedication to his craft has inspired a generation of young Bruins fans to apply themselves to everything they do. He brought me one of the best moments of my life. As a life-long fan of this team being born in the 80's. I never got to see the team win a cup. The exuberance and joy I experienced watching game 7 in 2011 with my step father is something I will always hold onto. I proudly have his signed jersey displayed in my office as he defines to me what it means to be a Boston Bruin. Tough, hard working, and down right scary to go to battle against. It won't seem right seeing the big guy play in another town. I will however make sure to tune in next year, or the year after to watch the team raise his number to the rafters and honor him properly.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Wow, this was most unexpected. And at the cap hit he signed for, you gotta wonder why we didn't bring him back. Maybe he didn't want to be here.

The 2011 Cup is the only one I've seen in my lifetime, and for that I will always be a fan of Chara.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Literally could not ask for more from a player on and off the ice. The ultimate captain and leader who did everything by example. He turned the franchise around and carried it on his back for 15 years. He is on the level of David Ortiz for me in terms of what he meant and did for the franchise and I will forever hold a grudge that Chara wasn't given the respect to end things on his terms here. But as we know, that isn't the Bruins/Jacobs way

He has earned the right to have his name said in the same breath as Orr, Bourque and Shore in the pantheon of Bruins defensemen.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
From a Montreal fan, he was the greatest free agent signing I can remember. Great defenseman, great presence. With him, Boston always had the "end boss" on their side throughout the 2010s.

He continued the tradition of Boston always having a great #1 defenseman.

Eddie Shore, Dit Clapper, Fern Flaman, Bobby Orr, Brad Park, Raymond Bourque, Zdeno Chara, and a few others I forgot I'm sure. He fit right in.

Reminds me of Montreal and goalies. Now looking to see if McAvoy can be the next one.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Class act, ultimate pro, and as the captain he brought the CUP to Boston! I don't understand why we wouldn't keep him for 750K a year. Shame to see him put on another Jersey after all the years in Boston. Certainly will shake up the core.

Reactions: Ginger Papa and BMC

MaCam

Oct 5, 2005
Eastern Mass
I am in complete disbelief. The man embodies everything that a professional should aim to be. His hard work and dedication to his craft has inspired a generation of young Bruins fans to apply themselves to everything they do. He brought me one of the best moments of my life. As a life-long fan of this team being born in the 80's. I never got to see the team win a cup. The exuberance and joy I experienced watching game 7 in 2011 with my step father is something I will always hold onto. I proudly have his signed jersey displayed in my office as he defines to me what it means to be a Boston Bruin. Tough, hard working, and down right scary to go to battle against. It won't seem right seeing the big guy play in another town. I will however make sure to tune in next year, or the year after to watch the team raise his number to the rafters and honor him properly.

Same. An all-time Bruins great. Thank you Big Z! I haven't kept up with the Bruins in more recent years, but this is a sad day as someone who grew up watching this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad