Zaitsev vs Larsson (oil)

Who's better right now?

• Total voters

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
there isn't a dman who's ever played that hasn't given away the puck like that.
How about a pdo of 114, that's a large reason to his improved plus minus, you think the team can sustain a 19% on ice sh% when he's on?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He is prettt awful defensively, you see that stone goal? Yikes
Yeah. He’s gotta make a better pass there, and it was picked off by the guy who led all forwards in takeaways last year.

I’m not sure what that play has to do with his defensive ability though?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Both overrated and I value them pretty equally, lets just sat I'm happier getting Zaistev for free than trading Nylander for Larsson.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Good players playing well are fully capable of putting up bad +/-, and bad players playing badly are fully capable of putting up good +/-.

Zaitsev being a -22 last year to a +7 already this year isn't because he's magically turned from an awful defensive dman into a good one, but because +/- is a stupid stat.
This. It's a stupid stat.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Not my fault Larsson set the bar so low. I'm sure he'll get his 1st assist of the year any day now. He should really try not getting walked though

What are you even talking about setting the bar so low? Larsson won this poll so apparently your #1 -22 top defensive/offensive guy from last year doesn't even meet the bar.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
if you think Larsson is a 2nd pairing d-man you have not really watched him play. The person who says Larsson is not that physical definitely has never watched Larsson play. Larsson can be very aggressive in taking away that puck, he is very sound positionally and is very smart with the puck. Yes he had his offensive instincts trained out of him by NJ but he has a really good shot when he does shoot.

If you think Larsson can't handle big minutes go research some of his stats in NJ. He usually faced top competition on the other team. Larsson is not that fast but he is still above average, he would look slow next to McDavid, most people would. Look at NJ's defense after Larsson was traded, it has never been the same. We leaked goals like crazy and Schneider's numbers took a huge hit. Larsson is a top pairing defensive defenseman, but he started out in NJ as a two way d-man. He would have developed that way if not for the coach.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's a pretty accurate scouting report on the two players from "The hockey news, plus my opinion.

Adam Larsson
Assets:
Can play the game with exceptional poise. Has a great point shot and an ideal frame for an NHL defenseman (6-3, 205 pounds). Owns plenty of shutdown ability and he can be a big minute-muncher.
(Eye Tests confirms this analysis, always seemed like a defensive stud)
Flaws:
Could stand to become even more assertive physically, especially when it comes to the utilization of his 6-3 frame. Also, he could stand to shoot the puck far more to produce betters numbers. (Not physical, always knew that)
Career Potential:
Big-minute, shutdown defenseman with a little upside. (because of his offensive potential, seems fair)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Nikita Zaitsev
Assets:
Owns a good frame for the NHL game, plus excellent puck-moving ability. Can be an asset on special teams and has excellent passing ability. Produces solid offensive totals and can log huge minutes. (Eye Tests confirms this analysis)
Flaws:
Could stand to add more bulk to his 6-2 frame, especially for the rigors of the National Hockey League schedule, in order to maximize output in the NHL.Also, he is not an overly physical defenseman.
(Zaitsev doesnt hit that much, similar to Larsson. Note nothing about defensive ability being a flaw)
Career Potential:
Quality, all-around defenseman with a little upside. (This is where alot of leafs fans have an inner evil laugh, "thats what you think!")
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
337 hits in 102 games in Edmonton. "Doesn't hit much" "Not physical, always knew that". I think you meant "never watched him play".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad