Zaitsev vs Larsson (oil)

Who's better right now?

• Total voters

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
With no actual credibility, one good season doesn't make a player. Larsson hasn't been great this season at all
So Larrson only has 1 good season? It's usually a good idea to do some research about a player.

His season before in New Jersey was outstanding, as was the one before that.

So thats 3 more season of good quality play that Larsson has over Zaitsev who has 0.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Zaitsev is a bit better right now but I can buy an argument Larsson has more upside, given his draft pedigree and age.

One player has been a sexy pick for a long time, secondary to his draft status. The other player is a unsigned, undrafted late blooming but nonetheless, top international FA (probably the best in recent times since Panarin)......who has less upside due to age but more upside secondary to new culture, environment, country, smaller ice, etc.

It's close. Zaitsev has a chance to leap frog Rielly and Gardiner on our team with his play to start the year, which wouldn't have been crazy (but pretty unlikely to start the year). It's early. With how he's played to start the year, Gardiner has become a bubble player in our core after his contract expires (when factoring in cap considerations)....which says a lot about his play recently.

Either way, didn't vote.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That's the hill you want to die on? An hfboards poll?

I'm not dying on any hill lol. Just pointing out that there appears to be significant doubt about Zaitsev being the better player. Probably because of his poor defensive play, like we saw the other night vs Ottawa.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
One game. What are your thoughts on the previous 7?
I haven't caught too many games this year. I can tell you he wasn't very impressive last year. Definitely had a tendency of getting lost and giving the puck up in bad areas.

Seems like he had a hot start and then got totally overrated.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I haven't caught too many games this year. I can tell you he wasn't very impressive last year. Definitely had a tendency of getting lost and giving the puck up in bad areas.

He was very impressive last year, much like this year.

Check out the QOC he plays. Top 10 in the league, as a rookie.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Last year when? He was a rookie d man in a new league, new country, didn’t speak or understand the language.. He was a little inconsistent at times, as are many in his situation.

I love when people are pressed and give such vague answers in an attempt to hide they don’t know what they’re talking about... and respond with”uhhh wellll ummm I actually haven’t caught many games this year” ... it’s ok, you didn’t catch many last year and it’s abundantly clear to anyone who did.

Hot start? Again, it’s the second half when he was moved to play with Gardiner that his play really took off... Nice try.

Him and Rielly have no chemistry and just don’t play well together..

It may ‘seem’ that way to you, but things clearly aren’t always as they seem.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
So Larrson only has 1 good season? It's usually a good idea to do some research about a player.

His season before in New Jersey was outstanding, as was the one before that.

So thats 3 more season of good quality play that Larsson has over Zaitsev who has 0.

I think your stretching things...replace outstanding with competent. Also want to point out that if he was so "outstanding" that the backlash from Edmonton and from hockey insiders wouldn't have been that the Oilers got took in that deal. 2nd pairing defenceman...was being screamed.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think your stretching things...replace outstanding with competent. Also want to point out that if he was so "outstanding" that the backlash from Edmonton and from hockey insiders wouldn't have been that the Oilers got took in that deal. 2nd pairing defenceman...was being screamed.

Anyone who thought Larsson was a second pairing defenseman wasn't paying attention.

Oddly enough, many of them seem to have found there way to this thread.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone who thought Larsson was a second pairing defenseman wasn't paying attention.

Oddly enough, many of them seem to have found there way to this thread.

Larsson was, and is, a 2nd pair defenseman.

Even this year, when the oilers have nobody else to play, he still hasn't been able to play top pair minutes, and has struggled even with the minorly increased workload.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Even this year, when the oilers have nobody else to play, he still hasn't been able to play top pair minutes, and has struggled even with the minorly increased workload.

Lol no.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

And how are your thoughts on zaitsev, last year he more than struggled at actually playing defense

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Please explain

Good players playing well are fully capable of putting up bad +/-, and bad players playing badly are fully capable of putting up good +/-.

Zaitsev being a -22 last year to a +7 already this year isn't because he's magically turned from an awful defensive dman into a good one, but because +/- is a stupid stat.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Good players playing well are fully capable of putting up bad +/-, and bad players playing badly are fully capable of putting up good +/-.

Zaitsev being a -22 last year to a +7 already this year isn't because he's magically turned from an awful defensive dman into a good one, but because +/- is a stupid stat.
2017 and people are still using +/- in an argument. Unbelievable.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

He is prettt awful defensively, you see that stone goal? Yikes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad