Value of: Zaitsev to Vancouver

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
BUT he can't get the puck out of the defensive zone, he puts it up the boards and it gets picked off nearly every single time, he just can't ****ing do it.

He's got to be replaced.

That's a Babcock thing more than a Zaitsev thing IMO.

Zaitsev should fetch a 2020 5th and a 2021 2nd.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's a Babcock thing more than a Zaitsev thing IMO.

Zaitsev should fetch a 2020 5th and a 2021 2nd.

How is that a Babcock thing? That's a Zaitsev thing because it makes him predictable EVERYBODY from the players, choaches, people in the arena, people at home, EVERYBODY knows exactly what Zaitsev is going to do with the puck he never does anything else.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
How is that a Babcock thing? That's a Zaitsev thing because it makes him predictable EVERYBODY from the players, choaches, people in the arena, people at home, EVERYBODY knows exactly what Zaitsev is going to do with the puck he never does anything else.

The system is predictable, and Zaitsev is just following the system. It's not any different for Hainsey, Polak or any other guy who was not a designated puck mover. Even Muzzin and Dermott have done it.

They want the defense to get the puck out of the zone. That is priority number 1. If they can make a play (which they usually want to be a stupid stretch pass), they will, but otherwise, that is what is done.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Freidman is one of the most connected guys in the NHL, he has credibility just because you don't want Zaitsev and don't like what Freidman is saying doesn't mean it's made up

I agree Freidman is well connected within the hockey world but serious question has he broken any/many trades? He wouldn't be the first person I would think of as an insider, does he have a history of correctly predicting player movements?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Sure, but the fact that you have to go back a little over 3 years to find kinda proves my point.

Even still, let's not act like McCann has lit the world on fire. He has about 30 goals in 150 games.

I'm of a very different opinion than you on this front.

Dahlen for Karlsson - took the player with less potential to rid organization of a player. Not a win in my books
Spooner for Gagner - cap being equal I would rather have Gagner, Spooner is total trash
Nilsson for McKenna - gave up the best asset, got a cap dump and a 6th out of the deal - not a win
Vanek for Mott - This one could be argued but Vanek had more points last season in 64 games than Mott has in his entire NHL career. For a team needing scoring and top 6 winger this wasn't really a win
4th for Pouliot - I would rather of had that pick - Pouliot is to defense what marshmallows are to health food.
Burrow for Dahlen - looked great at the time, now its looking more and more like there will be no NHL playing time for anyone the Canucks have from the Burrows deal.
McCann and Picks for Gudbransson - even the 4th alone makes that deal look brutal now, never mind the other assets.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I guess I am in the minority.

I believe it was actually your post that I responded to in another thread - maybe not, but look at the stats for Zaitsev over the past 2 seasons. He has the traditional stats (goals, assists, points, +/-, Gv away, tk away) and the advanced stats (corsi, fenwick, goal for per 60, goals against per 60, GAR, WAR) of a bottom pairing dman. His TOI is the only stat that puts him into the top 4 discussion. Now I'm not a stats only guy and I have watched Z play and he is solid in one on one battles, but his ability to drive the play is very poor, he has no outlet pass and offense drops off a cliff when he is one the ice. The high scoring Leafs had more goals against per 60 with Z on the ice than they did with him on the bench.

Whether its usage or ability is another discussion but by all tangible metrics he has not been a top 4 dman for 2 seasons.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'd rather give up assets for a better player, I'm also not obsesed with him being a RHD, is he top 4? and is he an upgrade on Zaitsev?If yes that's what matters
Well, i don't see anybody taking Zaitsev without sending cap back....so where are you finding the cap for this upgrade?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
One idea I saw posted on the Leafs board that see's the Canucks lose salary is a straight up trade of Zaitsev and Roussel.
Roussel was one of our most consistent forwards outside of the core BH, EP, BB last season. He would be pretty far down the list of players the Canucks want to move.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree Freidman is well connected within the hockey world but serious question has he broken any/many trades? He wouldn't be the first person I would think of as an insider, does he have a history of correctly predicting player movements?

Ne's not the first person i think of as an insider either, First is Bobby Mack he's the Bobfather, then Lebrun, then Freidman.

That puts him top 3, that's pretty good

Reactions: Boondock

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, i don't see anybody taking Zaitsev without sending cap back....so where are you finding the cap for this upgrade?

I disagree I think Marleau is the guy GMS will send cap back in a trade for I think you can move Zaitsev without taking back money.

It will be a soft deal but I think it can be done

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I disagree I think Marleau is the guy GMS will send cap back in a trade for I think you can move Zaitsev without taking back money.

It will be a soft deal but I think it can be done
You'd need to explain how taking 1 year of 6.25 in cap would force the Leafs to take salary back, but 5 years at 4.5 wouldn't.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You'd need to explain how taking 1 year of 6.25 in cap would force the Leafs to take salary back, but 5 years at 4.5 wouldn't.

because Zaitsev is a RHD, that is valued and his trade protection hasn't kicked in yet, plus he can be a #4.

Marleau is almost 40 and has a NMC so we can only trade him to seelct places because he's only approved select places.

We don't have in theory 30 other teams we can trade Marleau to.

But until Zaitsev trade protection kicks in, which U believe happens July 1st there are 30 other teams we can trade Zaitsev to.

After July 1st it becomes 20 even that is a MUCH bigger potential market than we have for Marleau

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ever search on twitter 'zaitsev garbage' and 99% of the Leafs fans absolutely hate Zaitsev over the past couple years with his brutal play.

Right?

But now that someone tweeted the Canucks asked about him, he's worth someone's first born.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Right?

But now that someone tweeted the Canucks asked about him, he's worth someone's first born.

We know it's a soft deal, but that doesn't mean the Leafs should have to retain salary or include Lilgerjen, like I saw earlier in this thread.

That was particularly ridiculous

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We know it's a soft deal, but that doesn't mean the Leafs should have to retain salary or include Lilgerjen, like I saw earlier in this thread.

That was particularly ridiculous

We don't have room for him on our (awful) depth chart. His 4.5 million for 5 years is essentially dead cap space versus two inferior players with much, much lower contracts (Biega and probably Schenn).

"Soft deal" doesn't start it with us. It's a cap dump on our end. He could rebound to his rookie form, but the way Toronto's fanbase talks about him, and from every game I've watched, and the comments from all these "insiders" Leafs fans take as gospel, I don't feel like there is a win here unless we get another pick, prospect or player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad