Value of: Zaitsev to Vancouver

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Nor do any reports say we are giving up value for him. Nobody knows for sure what discussions are going on. It's all just speculation. Most of Dhaliwals sources are agents so it's likely he has just heard there have been discussions and not as your assuming that high interest means were giving up a good return for him. It's obvious it's not a valuable contract and the leafs are going to have to sweeten the pot to find any takers. Anything else is wishful thinking.
I absolutely agree...nobody knows. That's why saying anything otherwise is disengenous.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
I don't think his performance makes him a cap dump at all. He's not a terrible defenseman or even a bad one.

The issue is the length and value of his contract. It's way too long and it's about a million to a million a half more than he is worth, but he is definitely - and undoubtably - an NHL calibre blue liner.
I agree. He's a 5-6 guy who is overpaid. From the leafs perspective they are trying to dump him though which does make him an undesirable contract and essentially a cap dump because of his term and sallary.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
The Leafs aren't taking Eriksson, Benning is saving him for Lucic anyway. Thankfully, Dubas and Benning will do the negotiating. That gives me hope.
And the Canucks aren't taking Zaitsev or Lucic without getting a good asset to do so.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Zaitsev is not worse than Beagle.

He has less of a role on this team.

His contract is longer.

He is paid more.

He will not have the impact on this team that Beagle has.

He hasn't asked for a trade yet.

I'd say from a Canucks standpoint he is absolutely worse.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

His contract is longer.

He is paid more.

From an actual talent standpoint he's not

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

His contract is longer.

He is paid more.

Those are all things that you can't be sure of

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
From an actual talent standpoint he's not

Maybe. I don't know how someone can compare a centre and a defenseman effectively but I shouted some some things that would make Beagle more valuable to us. Some were subjective and some I'd call pretty objective. But that feeling of not wanting him....what payment would you take to to take Beagle on? See where I am going with this?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Those are all things that you can't be sure of

The contract length? Or cap hit?

Or that we have 0 4th line centres that have Beagles experience and faceoff ability?

Or the 3 RHD we already employ? Or Schenn being someone our GM has gone on record saying he wants to resign? Or the insider one of your guys championed as being 100% certifiably infallible saying we're a leader for Karlsson?

I can amend my statement about Beagle not asking for a trade to his asking for a trade not being made public yet though. You're right.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The contract length? Or cap hit?

Or that we have 0 4th line centres that have Beagles experience and faceoff ability?

Or the 3 RHD we already employ? Or Schenn being someone our GM has gone on record saying he wants to resign? Or the insider one of your guys championed as being 100% certifiably infallible saying we're a leader for Karlsson?

I can amend my statement about Beagle not asking for a trade to his asking for a trade not being made public yet though. You're right.
I guess you can be sure of the contract length and cap hit.
These things you cannot be sure of.

Yes you can sign Luke Schenn he would obviously play behind Zaitsev.
There is no one 100% infallible and I don't have guys.
Zaitsev has asked his agent to work with Dubas to find a trade.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I guess you can be sure of the contract length and cap hit.
These things you cannot be sure of.

Yes you can sign Luke Schenn he would obviously play behind Zaitsev.
There is no one 100% infallible and I don't have guys.
Zaitsev has asked his agent to work with Dubas to find a trade.

I'm pretty sure on the contract stuff. I've made assertions before without checking capfriendly though...so I double checked.

Zaitsev will not do much from bench. Tanev and Stetcher will be our top four RHD with no big acquisitions. Biega is useful in other ways then Zaitsev (and our coach and management seem to love him) and honestly if Schenn resigns he had very very very good chemistry with Hughes.

We agree from a Canucks standpoint.

For Schenn see above. He'd be coming in cheaper and with a shorter term for a possible upgrade with unknown chemistry with our next star D.

I had a very passionate discussion with a Leafs fan in this thread where they asserted that insiders know all and see all. I meant "one of your guys" as a Leafs fan in the moment but that was wrong to assume that everyone that cheers for the same team are cut from the same cloth.

Your last point is closer to "asked for a trade" then Beagle has gone public with. I thought that was the point we were arguing. Comically there appears to have been a miscommunication about which point we disagreed on.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Given that their are Rumours Vancouver is interested in Zaitsev I'm wondering what people think Brnning would actually offer up to acquire Zaitsev

Good lord I hope not.

I *might* be open to this if the Leafs were willing to throw in Liljegren as a sweetener, but I’d still likely pass on this. I’m not a fan of Zaitsev’s game or contract at all.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Good lord I hope not.

I *might* be open to this if the Leafs were willing to throw in Liljegren as a sweetener, but I’d still likely pass on this. I’m not a fan of Zaitsev’s game or contract at all.
This isn't trolling or any kind of shot at Benning/Nucks fans....but i think you will be dissappointed if Zaitsev ends up in Van. A couple of things folks need to remember, yes Z asked for a trade, but Dubas is under no obligation to get bent over to make that happen. I mean trading Zaitsev means we have exactly zero NHL RHD. The thought that the Leafs are adding a huge piece to move him is insane. If a deal works for Dubas, he'll make it....otherwise Zaitsev will start the season in TO.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
This isn't trolling or any kind of shot at Benning/Nucks fans....but i think you will be dissappointed if Zaitsev ends up in Van. A couple of things folks need to remember, yes Z asked for a trade, but Dubas is under no obligation to get bent over to make that happen. I mean trading Zaitsev means we have exactly zero NHL RHD. The thought that the Leafs are adding a huge piece to move him is insane. If a deal works for Dubas, he'll make it....otherwise Zaitsev will start the season in TO.

Fair enough.

With Marleau’s recent trade request, the Leafs aren’t in quite the bind as they were say....a month ago, and so the option to keep Zaitsev is certainly there.

As a Canucks fan, I personally am not interested in having him on my team. Just seems too lazy and error prone. The Canucks already have enough Pejorative Slurs on the back-end.

Reactions: Cogburn

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Fair enough.

With Marleau’s recent trade request, the Leafs aren’t in quite the bind as they were say....a month ago, and so the option to keep Zaitsev is certainly there.

As a Canucks fan, I personally am not interested in having him on my team. Just seems too lazy and error prone. The Canucks already have enough ******s on the back-end.
I'll give you error prone, but he is far from lazy.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He can't be sure that Zaitsev's contract is longer?

He can't be sure that Zaitsev's getting paid more?

He can't be sure that Beagle hasn't requested a trade?

What are you talking about?
A little late to the party, but nice try. Asked and answered.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd rather keep Zaitsev...but apparently he wants out.

Why? Look man I don't hate Zaitsev, I really d, I feel like he has an offensive level that he can't get to in Toronto because of al the talent that has come in around him down the lineup, I think he can get back to his rookie form .

I think he works his ass off on the ice he's a high effort player

He seems like a good guy

BUT he can't get the puck out of the defensive zone, he puts it up the boards and it gets picked off nearly every single time, he just can't f***ing do it.

He's got to be replaced.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Why? Look man I don't hate Zaitsev, I really d, I feel like he has an offensive level that he can't get to in Toronto because of al the talent that has come in around him down the lineup, I think he can get back to his rookie form .

I think he works his ass off on the ice he's a high effort player

He seems like a good guy

BUT he can't get the puck out of the defensive zone, he puts it up the boards and it gets picked off nearly every single time, he just can't ****ing do it.

He's got to be replaced.
Why? Because once he leaves, we have exactly ZERO NHL RHD. So if the option is getting bent over in a trade or keeping THE ONLY RHD WE HAVE? I'll keep the D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad