Value of: Zaitsev to Vancouver

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
And we were not the only team who “inquired”... why can’t leaf fans bombard the other teams who were reportedly asking about Zaitsev: Tampa Bay, New Jersey, Ottawa, etc?!

Because emphasizing a trade between Toronto and Vancouver is way more appealing to advertisers for these reporters.

Like I said in one of the hundred Lucic threads, I will trust Donuts for all my insider stories from now on.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Lol...i can't wait to see this site go full Kessel when Z is traded. Have a feeling he will become a solud top 4D on this site as soon as he's on another team.

I doubt. [MOD] it is more to do with Zaitzev sucking than him being a Leaf as to why people are negative on him. I will never say he is a top 4D unless he improves by leaps and bounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I doubt. [MOD] it is more to do with Zaitzev sucking than him being a Leaf as to why people are negative on him. I will never say he is a top 4D unless he improves by leaps and bounds.
Well, if your a Nucks fan, i have a feeling yuo'll get a close up look at him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I believe it was actually your post that I responded to in another thread - maybe not, but look at the stats for Zaitsev over the past 2 seasons. He has the traditional stats (goals, assists, points, +/-, Gv away, tk away) and the advanced stats (corsi, fenwick, goal for per 60, goals against per 60, GAR, WAR) of a bottom pairing dman. His TOI is the only stat that puts him into the top 4 discussion. Now I'm not a stats only guy and I have watched Z play and he is solid in one on one battles, but his ability to drive the play is very poor, he has no outlet pass and offense drops off a cliff when he is one the ice. The high scoring Leafs had more goals against per 60 with Z on the ice than they did with him on the bench.

Whether its usage or ability is another discussion but by all tangible metrics he has not been a top 4 dman for 2 seasons.
Advanced stats seem to be an anomaly for some players. People have been saying that about Jake Gardiner and Kris Russell for years. Perhaps it is for him as well. He is trusted by the coaching staff in Toronto and when he sends the puck up the boards the forwards should battle and get it out. What is never said about Zaitsev ( you did mention the 1 on 1s) is that he wins possession. He does serve up a pizza once in a while and does make errors, but what defenceman doesn't? It is so blown out of proportion. Everyone can mention the give away or bad pass, but can't mention the great plays he make the little things like Gardiner does.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Right?

But now that someone tweeted the Canucks asked about him, he's worth someone's first born.

The most recent Insider Trading segment on TSN that went up tonight said the Canucks kicked the tires on Zaitsev but that Benning has a list and they expected that Zaitsev was number three of four on that list, so it doesn't sound like it's a very strong interest from Vancouver as many Canucks fans in this thread have suggested.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And we were not the only team who “inquired”... why can’t leaf fans bombard the other teams who were reportedly asking about Zaitsev: Tampa Bay, New Jersey, Ottawa, etc?!

There are no reports that any of those teams have inquired, just Friedman saying he thought they might be among the teams that could be interested.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
The most recent Insider Trading segment on TSN that went up tonight said the Canucks kicked the tires on Zaitsev but that Benning has a list and they expected that Zaitsev was number three of four on that list, so it doesn't sound like it's a very strong interest from Vancouver as many Canucks fans in this thread have suggested.

That is interesting just makes you wonder who he has above him. If its Gardiner or Karlsson or maybe some more realistic cheaper options. But thanks for the info.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Good. I'm hoping that means it's just due diligence more then interest. You've got me feeling slightly better.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
There are no reports that any of those teams have inquired, just Friedman saying he thought they might be among the teams that could be interested.
Still feel free to broaden your horizons. This doesn’t stop leafs from proposing 100’s of other deals in the past. The whole zaitsev to van is getting old and boring.

Reactions: Cogburn

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
That is interesting just makes you wonder who he has above him. If its Gardiner or Karlsson or maybe some more realistic cheaper options. But thanks for the info.

I highly doubt its big ticket blue liners, it probably more #5 or #6 guys like Zaitsev, just with way less term if I had to guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad